Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2015 Grille Swap

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  GAU8CHALLY 
#1 ·
Hey all. To make this short, I got a 2015 Scat Pack with the SPAG. Part of this group I really did not want was the blacked out grille. I really think the standard grille with the chrome accents looks way better. So I'm looking at these options...

1) Paint it. Not sold on this one and there arent a lot of quality shops in my area. Small town.

2) Do the plasti-dip thing. I imagine this could be a huge PITA to get it just right around the whole deal.

3) Replace the whole grille with a new one. Expensive...and I hear a pain to remove and replace.

What are y'alls opinions? Anyone done this kind of thing?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I agree with you about the blacked out grille. The standard grille with the chrome accents looks a lot more like what the Challengers came with in '71.
I would go the plasti-dip route. A lot easier than you think, and obviously a lot less expensive. You don't even have to remove anything. And if you're not happy with it, or get tired of it, simply peel it off. I just don't know if they make a color that can replicate the brushed-chrome look of the standard grille accents...

#3 ·
My SP had the silver accents that you are looking for. I wanted all black. I removed the Challenger & R/T emblems and Plastic Dipped mine black. It took about an hour to tape off and to cover my car off with a plastic drop. I applied three coats of Dip, waited, then removed the tape and drop plastic. It turned out exceptionally nice, just the look I wanted. It still looks perfect after 1000 miles or so on it. I had planned to replace my grille with the black factory piece come spring and the Plastic Dip was just temporary until then. As it stands now I have no intention to replace it.

I'd say Plastic Dip it first. Cheap & easy and you may not feel the need for a new factory grille. If not happy, get the factory grille from Steve White's (they are actually pretty affordable) and with another set of hands, you could do this in your garage or driveway in an afternoon. Nothing really difficult,just take your time and have something soft to set your bumper on. I'd much rather do this myself rather than taking the chances of the dealership messing my paint up.

#4 ·
Hey all. To make this short, I got a 2015 Scat Pack with the SPAG. Part of this group I really did not want was the blacked out grille. I really think the standard grille with the chrome accents looks way better. So I'm looking at these options...

1) Paint it. Not sold on this one and there arent a lot of quality shops in my area. Small town.

2) Do the plasti-dip thing. I imagine this could be a huge PITA to get it just right around the whole deal.

3) Replace the whole grille with a new one. Expensive...and I hear a pain to remove and replace.

What are y'alls opinions? Anyone done this kind of thing?

Thanks!

PM Sent.

#6 ·
The chrome look went out in the 90's.

I wouldnt change a thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.