Dodge Challenger Forum banner

another halo thread lol

6K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  doughboy 
#1 ·
Ok so I searched all over before making this add but have yet to find solid answers. My halo kit arrived today and I'm about to get goin on the install possibly..I'm very torn between wether to just send them to acc or do it myself.. I also purchased a brand new set of aftermarket oem replica headlights so that my car would not have down time..also I heard the aftermarket headlights come apart easier but don't know if this is true..I have also heard that you don't have to bake your headlights unless you have hid setup but that sounds like it may be b.s? A guy on another forum said non hid headlights come right apart but I'm not sold on that lol. Does anyone have pics of where they just cut the housing instead of baking? It's $327.00 to send all my stuff to aac (headlights and fogs and kits) and have them do it..I was sold on doing that until I started seein this mysterious jina the embroidery lady's work...now I thinkin that the 327 bucks could be better spent on embroidered headrests and console lid lol...any pics and help will be greatly appreciated..the aftermarket headlights will arrive tommorow so ill take a close look at them then. Thanks for the help guys..post what ya can soon so I can make my decision lol

#2 · (Edited)
So upon more reading I'm finding out that most people are just cuttin the headlights and reselling them back together..anyone got facts about the easier to seperate when non hid claim that I keep hearing...everyone says hid are a nightmare but non hid is not so bad?

#3 ·
Also has anyone ever just mounted them on the outside of headlight before? Are they weatherproof? I mean...if they can take the headlight temps inside the housings then must be somewhat weatherproof but????

#4 ·
#5 ·
I would strongly suggest you read this thread. It guided me through my installation with no problems. The thread shows halos being put in HID headlights, but mine aren't and the instructions still worked fine.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f19/how-led-halos-srt-headlights-51679/?highlight=halo+install
wow....now that was an informative thread..honestly after seein that i think i can do it...my only worry was the baking and splitting of the lights..the rest is easy lol!!

#7 ·
I did my Ram's headlights (painted the inside). If I remember right I set the oven at 200* and just kept going from the oven to the kitchen table separating the housing. No problems. If you do any painting or gluing give it a full 24 hours for the fumes to clear out before putting them back together. I ended up with a slight mist of the paint color I used on the inside of the housings because I only waited until it was dry to the touch.

I just got the sealant to the goopy point and then carved it out with a knife. The knife was ruined by the way, so plan accordingly.

#8 ·
well the new headlights are in oven..im on my secodn time warming...honestly its goin fairly smooth thus far...we se how long that lasts...the glue on these aftermarket oem replicas saeems to not be the strongest wich may be a factor!

#9 ·
so 20 mins and first one is apart!!!that wasnt so bad at ALL..maybe it was the repop glue??

Reactions: rednug
#10 ·
ok so both headlights are aparty and just need to clean some of the glue out of the channels..no probs, no cracks no issues at all...if your gonna do this do yourself a favor and just buy a set of the repop oem headlights..in less than an hour i have both new headlights dissassembled and will have the halos installed within next hour or two!!the headlights cost 160.00 shipped and from what i just did i would say its well worth it!!!

#11 ·
There easy, I've installed them on Chargers, 300's, Challengers, Mustangs and even an SC430. Challengers are the toughest I cut my headlights because they were the HID lamps. When you reseal them up grab some Permatex windshield gasket from Autozone and do a nice bead around the grove. Works excellent.

Buy.com - Permatex 230-82180 Ultra Black Max Oil Resistant Gasket Maker 3.35

#13 ·
well they are almost done..im done for tonight...heres progress pics

#14 ·
So I got them resealed back together and clamped with vise grips for the night..I must say that the red seems to almost look amber??? Maybe it's just me..either way I lovin it..install goin good so far..tommorow I will remove the bumper and get them put in and do fogs as well..also doing footwell lighting (flexible smd strips from oracle) that I'm goin to wire to the other channel of my remote controller so I can play with the effects in the interior lights as well I think? Not sure if I want to separate the fogs on a separate channel or not yet?..anyway I'll post more pics tommorow and I will hopefully finish up the job Nd have completed pics!! One of my led map lights from oracle was bunk right out the box..as soon as I installed it the thing puffed smoke and that was it..they sendin me a new they said..

#16 ·
#17 ·
well im waitng on insurance man to show up at my place this morn (had a tree fall) so im gonna start removin bumper and hopefully finish this job up today!! ill post pics later!!

#18 ·
damn...what a day...well the install is done...well for the most part anyway..got everything installed and working but im a little pissed...my fog lights keep losing more and more leds by the minute..im pissed!!! too late in day to contact aac but ill be callin in morn..headlights are perfect with no issues but the fogs are havin issues with leds being out, and then they will randomly come back on and then go back out..im a bit dissapointed in that factor but otherwise im pretty happy..the dam remote is a lil tricky to figure out and of course came with no directions..i have the fogs on the second channel so i can play with the timing and strobing and such..ill post a few pics below..my only prob is them dam fogs...car looks mean as hell with them tho!!!

#19 ·

#20 · (Edited)
Looks Sweet! MEAN!!

That's a big job just to change headlights....

Sorry to hear about the lights ...While I am not surprised, I am very disappointed. It seems like everyone is having the same problem. I was just speaking to one guy from ACC on another forum and was thinking about getting ones they are selling that are preinstalled in the foglights...But everytime I am like, let me give em a chance,...someone else has the same issues. This is unacceptable after all the work that is put into the install.

BTW why did you put it all back together? Wont you have to do it again to get to the fogs? Or can you access the fogs from under and behind the bumper?

Anyway hope they take care of you.

#21 ·
Looks Sweet! MEAN!!

That's a big job just to change headlights....

Sorry to hear about the lights ...While I am not surprised, I am very disappointed. It seems like everyone is having the same problem. I was just speaking to one guy from ACC on the forum and was thinking about getting ones they are selling that are preinstalled in the foglights...But everytime I am like, let me give em a chance,...someone else has the same issues. This is unacceptable after all the work that is put into the install.

BTW why did you put it all back together? Wont you have to do it again to get to the fogs? Or can you access the fogs from under and behind the bumper?

Anyway hope they take care of you.
thanks man!!
i can access the fogs by just removing the belly pan..no biggie...are these issues the same that others are having with the fog lights?? im curious. It was a big job and i tested the lights every step of the way..everything worked untill it was all hooked to battery and ran for a while then fogs began to fail one led at a time. im glad the headlights have no issues cuz that would really piss me off lol!!

#25 ·
Please don't tell me they are gonna make me send these in first cuz that will piss me off to be without fog lights while they take they sweet ass time sendin me mine..it's wired..it's one or two out here and ther around halo

#27 ·
I installed them and I must say I did a very nice job lol..I just think they should send me new rings with a return RMA to send faulty halos back..I really don't think my install had anything to do with failure..I'm very picky and take a lot of pride in my work and I made no shortcuts whatsoever..I even bought Brand new headlights for the install lol..I'm very happy with headlights but havin a few dead dots in halos is embarrassing and annoying. I'm sure they will make it right but I'm still irritated with it lol

#28 ·
I did not mean it to sound like I was knocking your work. If it sounded like that I do apologize. I am sure you did a great job. I was just saying if they did not install them but you sent in the whole fog light they would probably charge you for a reinstall.

Unless they do it different from a couple months ago - you will have to send in the bad rings first then they send you the new rings.

#29 ·
I didnt take it that way..no worries

#31 ·
How come?? Problematic or ??

#32 ·
Spoke with todd at AAC today..hes completely takin care of me and snding me a new set..im very pleased with their customer service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.