Best Shaker Hood??? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Exterior Discussion / Modifications Want to change the look and appearance of your Dodge Challenger? This section is for the discussion of any exterior visual modifications. Examples include wheels, custom paint, grills, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Best Shaker Hood???

Who makes the best Shaker Hood in terms of being close to the old ones and functionality??? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 11:58 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oh boy! Here we go!

There are several shaker hood manufacturers, and all have their pro's and cons. Most buyers are very opinionated about their choice being the "best". It is going to have to be YOUR decision as to what that actually means for your purposes.

You have AFR which their supporters all claim to be the only "true" shaker as it does not use the factory airbox to route air to the throttle body and has an old type circular filter. It has a design that has the most direct route to the throttle body. Another advantage is their ability to change styles to a T/A type scoop or a Max air scoop.

Next up is Cervini's. They use the stock airbox location, but their own cold air box/system. Their hood are more pronounced in the rise of the hood. Their advantage is they are the only one I know of that allow use of the shaker as intended and a Magnasun supercharger, should u decide to upgrade for more power in the future.

Next is Danko. He manufactures the shaker so u can use ur stock aluminum hood or buy his flat like a Cuda hood or with a similar rise as a stock Challenger hood. He also uses the stock airbox location, but his own cold air system.

Next is Suncoast. They also use the stock airbox location. Their advantage is cost, as they are the cheapest in price. Their shaker has wings on the side that route air through the hood to the airbox.

Last is Mr. Norms. His is a faux shaker that attaches to the hood, allowing use of a procharger, KB, or other superchargers without a fit issue.

You really need to look at them side by side and determine which satisfies your particular needs and aesthetic look as each has a minor different look.

10 B5 Classic, 6 spd, TrakPak, Sunroof, Magnacharger, AIT TA hood, Cervini's Go Wing, Dale's louver's, custom bumblebee Scat Pack stripes by Ridergraphix, Petty's strut bar, BT valve & coil covers, misc bling, Corsa Extreme catback, SRT front brakes, & Dodge Charger HD rear brakes, Rocket chrome Booster wheels. Mopar 10 steering wheel, Mopar door sills, back-up camera, Barton shifter, Rotofab CAI. No more money for mods!!
#3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 03:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rudedog Send a message via Skype™ to Rudedog
What Bluert said, also look at cost for shipping, how they ship and customer service. The biggest issue is who has them in stock, seems most if not all produce them as ordered thus you will have to wait a few weeks (at the least) before they ship them out.

Also look at who can paint them for you. I know that both AFR (mine) and Cervini both have a great reputation for matching colors directly from the OEM. Thus saving you time and possibly money by having them paint the hood before shipping

MyPlumCrazyChallenger | Central Florida Challenger Owners

2010 Challenger R/T Classic | Plum Crazy Pearl | 6sp | sun roof | STP | Leather | Sound Group II w/Nav (730N) | Hood struts | Mopar fender flairs | MOROSO Tanks| Lockpick v.4 w/cam | Petty Garage STB | Trinity w/9r28.crom | Hust S/T shifter | BT Catch can|BT Engine bling | PASSPORT Qi45 | PCP brake calipers | AT cat back | AFR true shaker/TA hood | braided hoses | AN fittings | JBA shorties | Hi-flow cats
#4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys as that is great information!!! Much appreicated!!!

AFR = Autoform company in Michigan, right? I bought a roll bar for my Viper from them and know Steve a little.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 06:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Challenger09
That is AFR". I have their shaker and I believe it is the best based on the enclosed design. Cervini's is good quality as well. For me I went with AFR because it is enclosed, really cleans up the engine bay, and Steve was a pleura to deal with. Regardless which one you go with, they all look the same on the outside (at let for the most part). And they all turn heads!!!

#6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgethedog View Post
Thanks guys as that is great information!!! Much appreicated!!!

AFR = Autoform company in Michigan, right? I bought a roll bar for my Viper from them and know Steve a little.
Yep, That is them, they are a well known Viper dealer of aftermarket parts.

#7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 AM

After studying the various posts and web sites I went with the AFR as well. No regrets.

2010 SRT8
AFR Shaker hood feeding a MM 85mm TB, Moroso coolant and PS tanks, Indy Heads polished Old-School Hemi valve covers, Mopar front strut brace, SLGX 4 point rear strut brace, Corsa Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, Mopar MP10 hood pins and sills, rolling on Cragar S/S wheels with classic 3 point center caps with 255's on all 4 corners. Out back is a Mopar Go-Wing and Dale's Cuda Shop aluminum louvers.

#8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudedog View Post
Yep, That is them, they are a well known Viper dealer of aftermarket parts.

It looks great, but my question is, putting this big shaker above the engine wouldn't add more heat to it (blocking air circulation)?

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8
1st 2012 Challenger SRT8 in Abu Dhabi
Mopar T handle shifter - Parking Sensors
GardX Paint & Leather Protection - Vcool tinting
#9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 03:52 PM

Not any more then say the engine cover. My engine temps have stayed the same and I'm down here in FL.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 PM

I know that this post is old and im sure it has been asked before but... What is the website to purchase an AFR Shaker Hood set-up?? I have been looking but I cant find it

2010 R/T Classic Torred and beautiful...

6-spd manual, Sunroof, Navi, and 20" Heritage Wheels

mods... for now i have Mopar CAI, Mopar Exhaust, DST and a lead foot...

In the future: Shaker hood, window tint, and cool convex mirrors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Exterior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode