Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Black Chrome Grill Surround Installed

18K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Sin35 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got in my Black Chrome Grill Surround today and put it on, Got it for $120 off of ebay from Stevewhitemotors.

I think it looks excellent and complements the Black :D What do yall think?

Before

After

See less See more
Reactions: SinCityMopar
#2 ·
Looks awesome! Much better than before. I like it a lot.

#4 ·
Its plastic, replacement for the ones off of the Avenger

#9 ·
Around 1h and thats doing it the easy way (hint: Six Butter Knifes and one Flat Head Screw Driver) I attempted to remove my whole front fascia but I couldnt reach the nut that is right behind the head lights :/

where did you get the dodge // emblem? any issues with attaching it? im liking that alot
Ebay, Not at all There are pins on the back that I just bent a little wider so I can easily straighten it out and Most people would use 3M Auto Tape but I used just a small amount of superglue so it does not leak out of behind the emblem

DODGE CHARGER GRILLE EMBLEM DODGE NEW DESIGN WITH RED STRIPES WAR PAINT MOPAR

#11 · (Edited)
It worked.....sweeeeet!

Thanks Redstorm3265! Took about 30 minutes, a few butter/table knives and a leather mallet.
I just beat the knives in to each slot a few times to wear down the sharp edge on the clips then tap knives in to several of the clip slots starting at one end of the surround. Carefully work the knives up, down and all around while applying outward pressure/pulling on the grill surround (not the grill). Pop the clips out one at a time slowly and carefully. Work your way around until they all release. Then just snap the new surround in. EasyPeasy

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks Redstorm3265! Took about 30 minutes, a few butter/table knives and a leather mallet.
I just beat the knives in to each slot a few times to wear down the sharp edge on the clips then tap knives in to several of the clip slots starting at one end of the surround. Carefully work the knives up, down and all around while applying outward pressure/pulling on the grill surround (not the grill). Pop the clips out one at a time slowly and carefully. Work your way around until they all release. Then just snap the new surround in. EasyPeasy

Anyone have a 2015 challenger sxt and was able to remove these silver surroundings? I have seen tabs on the back of them that would indicate this possible but I can't seem to get to them.

Attachments

#13 ·
black chrome grill surround installed

hello whats involved in changing one of these surrounds out on my 2010? i bought the car last fall and have noticed the only the thing wrong with the car is it looks like the surround has been cracked and repaired would like to change it out. would you say it makes a big difference up close?thanks cliff

#15 ·
Looks great... Thought about that on mine... Was it much trouble to swap out?

R

#16 ·
Help. i am trying to get the correct grill surround for my 2010 challenger. the surround is the part that goes around the entire front right the headlights and grill everything. also the one i bought says black chrome grill surround. are these actually shiny glossy black or flat gunmetal black like my original. the bezels around the headlights is a flat gunmetal black and so is my current surround. are these new new ones shiny and that doesnt seem like that would look right. all photos i have seen here look like flat gunmetal black surrounds not shiny but like mine. i must be missing something

#18 ·
o.k. so the surround is the part that goes around the entire front right the headlights and grill. dealer keeps telling me the grill is all one piece i dont buy it. i can tell this piece isnt attached to the bezels and grill i dont think and mines flat black so someone must have dipped these right. do the black chrome look better would you say? thanks cliff

#20 ·
well i got mine put on over the weekend. oh my god what a pain.

i used the butter knife method.
for me this consisted of ramming a screwdriver into the tabs, prying them up, and forcing a butter knife through the very tiny gap the screw driver gave me between the grill and grill surround. it's not pretty or subtle. it takes less effort to open a can of beans with a with a spoon than it does to shove that butter knife through that microscopic gap.

that whole tap the knife in and soften the edges thing... yeah that wasn't working. the ledge was just too big to "push" past.

anyway, get enough tabs wedged open with enough butter knives, you pull... well no you don't pull, the wedged knives make it all incredibly tight, you go get your plastic pry set, and start gently and evenly prying on this stubborn piece of plastic. and then it happens. the plastic grill surround will explode into your face. the gently prying, reaches the point where the tabs spring loaded tension, very violently throws the grill surround at you. it startled me so bad i fell off the ramps i was using as a seat.

i didn't get hit though, because i only brought out 3 butter knives with me. so i did the grill in sections. this was good and bad. good because i didn't get smashed in the face, but bad because the last 2 tabs, were completely in accessible with the rest of the grill flopping around all willy-nilly. i said screw it and just pulled like whipped mule. the last 2 tabs made the loudest noise ever when they finally gave in.

didn't seem to hurt anything. i managed to put 2 light scratches in the textured plastic by the grill on top of the bumper. but they're light and it's textured... once the sun gets hot, they'll go away. no worries.

being satisfied with that, i pushed the black one in. you have to push like hell to snap the new one in. again the last two tabs made a VERY loud pop when they were finally seated.

here ya go.

the butter knife method is stupid. it's a hot mess of an idea and should not be attempted by the sane. however if you do... in hindsight, if i were to do this again, i'd use a butter knife for every tab. possibly even grease them. and start on the bottom, not the top. but it's going to fight you every step of the way no matter what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.