Body parts out of alignment - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Exterior Discussion / Modifications Want to change the look and appearance of your Dodge Challenger? This section is for the discussion of any exterior visual modifications. Examples include wheels, custom paint, grills, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 05:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Body parts out of alignment

Hey Guys so my car has never been in a wreck to my knowledge but the driver side door sticks out a few MM further than flush and my trunk is a few MM higher on the passenger side also I think there is a slight gap between my hood and front thing where it closes. Am I just being nit pick? Can It be fixed? I'll post pics if it will help. I'm mainly worried about my door not being flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 PM

How old is this car? My wife's Magnum has an issue of the striker plates moving over time from shutting the doors. I have re-adjusted them 2 times since new and the car has 40K miles on it now.

As for the hood, my Challenger sat too low on both sides when I picked it up. There were areas on the stops that paint was missing from like it was adjusted different when painted. I moved the bolts back to those spots covered and it looks a lot better to me.

The trunk, maybe on of the bump stops in the trunk jamb has been moved or something.

If it bothers you, figure it out and move it. It is really pretty easy.

1972 Red and black 442 W-30
#3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Challenger is not known for perfect fit and finish. Somethings might be adjustable though. If they really bother you get them fixed. I'd be careful about letting a Dealer do it.

You'd probably be better off checking with a reputable body shop. Most would give a free estimate and let you know if it is easily correctable.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 05:49 PM

(Thread Starter)
It's a 2009 with 73k on it. It's finding a reputable body shop that's the hard part lol and I'll make a few calls I suppose thanks guys!

#5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
It's a 2009 with 73k on it. It's finding a reputable body shop that's the hard part lol and I'll make a few calls I suppose thanks guys!

You purchased it used I guess?

I see you only joined in Aug 2012 so I originally figured the fit and finish was bothering you on your 3 month old Challenger.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 07:04 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yes I did purchase it used with 64k on it.

#7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Both of those could be DIY fixes. For the door, you can slightly bend the latch bar on the inside of the car (not the door part). If you don't like bending, you can probably undo the bolts holding that mechanism in place and slide the mechanism in a little bit. Just make sure you tighten them down snug when you reinstall the bolts.

For the trunk, my '11 has adjustment screws (plastic with a largish hex head) to fix that. Here's a pic with a red circle showing the hex head on the driver's side. Same on the passenger's side:

2011 Toxic Orange R/T Classic Auto
Performance Mods: Diablo inTune I1000-DCX
Audio Mods: Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS, HelixDSP, Zed Audio Leviathan III, Dynaudio Esotec 362 (active), Zed Audio Minotaur II, 2x JL Audio 12w6v2s (sealed ~2.8 cu ft)
#8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 11:19 PM

First time buyer of chrysler product. The fit of body panels is the worst
ive ever seen with paper thin sheet metal.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 12:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Even new the 08's had a TSB for the trunk lids being off. mine is higher on the left side still

08 SRT8 #6077, InTune, AFE CAI, 180 TT, Catch Can, Cabin Air Filter, Speedlogix Strut Brace, Hawk HPS brake pads. Best time of 12.78@109.22
#10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 05:28 AM

the doors should be "proud" sticking out slightly
cuts down on wind noise
the rest need adjusted

2007 dodge charger Sublime 0781/1500
2010 Furious Fuchsia RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Exterior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode