Chrome clad wheels vs chrome - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Exterior Discussion / Modifications

Exterior Discussion / Modifications Want to change the look and appearance of your Dodge Challenger? This section is for the discussion of any exterior visual modifications. Examples include wheels, custom paint, grills, etc.

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Banned

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chrome clad wheels vs chrome

i would like to start a discussion on the dodge chrome clads Vs. real chrome.

my opinion for whats its worth is that the chrome clads will outlast chrome wheels in the long run. the pitting on some of my other chrome wheels was pretty bad. lets hear from the"experts".

ok lets go folks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 04:20 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Toxic11 Send a message via AIM to Toxic11
Chroming an aluminum rim is not easy, the process must be done well, for proper thickness of chrome around the spokes, custom anodes must be used. And even
with all the proper steps taken, one chip into the base metal and it's only a year
or so before it starts to flake in that area. And also there is the whole issue of embrittlement caused by chroming aluminum.

Chrome Clads last longer and have less instances of warranty repair, that's why all the manufacturers are using them.

2011 Toxic Orange

2015 SRT Hellcat on order with Bob Frederick (Billet Silver, Sepia Languna)

2011-2029 A Sparkly Moose Beaver Production

www.toxic11.com
Old 06-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Photos: (31)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
you know I dislike the chrome clad from day one tolerated them on my first 09 auto but never even drove my 09 6 speed with them I went with Chrome wheels aftermarket no issues the trick is polishing them up and sealing them and I've even had them in snow and salt the lug nuts now that was a different story. Being in a warmer climate chrome will last with the proper maintenance.
But to answer your question Chrome Clad rims will last longer just don't curb them

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I may keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride! - Amen!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Banned

i see your point Jeff, i don't like chrome either clad or not,, way to shinny. love the looks of classics i think they pop with a better look than chrome. the 20" chroms are just too much bling for me. oh back on topic which are best lasting, With normal maintance.

>>>>
Attached Thumbnails
Chrome clad wheels vs chrome-023.jpg  

Last edited by CruzKing; 06-12-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: picture
Old 06-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Banned

this still need input, go at it guys.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:38 PM

Photos: (2)
I love my chrome clads, easy to clean, bullet proof, very low maintenance. I've had chrome wheels, they chip, pit, flake, chrome clads just look good. Most people don't know that they are not real chrome.
Mopar Dodge wheel caps
DRL's enabled
Mopar Chrome shifter T-handle
Corsa Xtreme Exhaust
MOPAR cold air intake
Richard Petty Tower Strut Brace
Mopar Bight Pedal kit

2010 FURIOUS FUCHSIA R/T Classic 6 speed
Mopar hood struts
Billet Technology HEMI nose badge
Mopar Dodge wheel caps
DRL's enabled
Blastin Bob's Resonator Eliminators
K & N drop in air filter

2014 Ram 1500 Express 4 x 4 Flame Red hEMI
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM

I have clad on my ram and all they have done is chip and crack after about 4-5 years. So imo they dont last.

Chrome wheels in my experience last longer, but I do take care of them.

If an after market company makes replacement clads your in business and dont have to worry about anything. ( makes me mad they did replacement clads on the 02-05 trucks, but not for the 06-09 )
Old 06-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,037 Times in 704 Posts
the critical step is regular cleaning and application of wax for chrome plated wheels - brake dust will bond and start surface corrosion (metallic brake pad material) and this will start to attach the chrome plating.

The trouble is (like previous post) that chrome really isn't suitable to plate over aluminum. Most of the time it will be chrome plate over steel, and aluminum allow wheels tend to save weight vs. steel wheels...

The other aspect is aluminum can be cast or forged into various shapes/styles with more freedom to cast and then CNC machine for the final shaping/look, where steel is going to be stamped or various parts welded together to produce a desired shape.

Mercedes dealers were offering chrome plated (over OEM aluminum wheels), whereas the factory won't do such a thing, nor warranty a chrome plated wheel...

The other approach (like the 20" Heritage wheel) is to polish the aluminum and clear coat it - granted, it has a different color (less blueish color than chrome) and has a softer reflective quality, but its the more durable way to go.

Otherwise, you have the chrome-painted clad covers, but if anything (i.e. road salt, or de-icing chemicals) gets to that chrome paint, that won't hold up either.

Eibach Sportline Suspension
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam / DS CMR tune
Hurst /G&K modded short-throw shifter
Old 06-14-2012, 06:40 PM

I like the chrome clads - the main reason that I'll be replacing them is to get a more "Old School" style rim (ie. Torq Thrusts).

The only problem I had with the clads is the water-spotting. Anyone else have that problem, or is it a regional issue with the minerals in the water?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
the critical step is regular cleaning and application of wax for chrome plated wheels - brake dust will bond and start surface corrosion (metallic brake pad material) and this will start to attach the chrome plating.

The trouble is (like previous post) that chrome really isn't suitable to plate over aluminum. Most of the time it will be chrome plate over steel, and aluminum allow wheels tend to save weight vs. steel wheels...

The other aspect is aluminum can be cast or forged into various shapes/styles with more freedom to cast and then CNC machine for the final shaping/look, where steel is going to be stamped or various parts welded together to produce a desired shape.

Mercedes dealers were offering chrome plated (over OEM aluminum wheels), whereas the factory won't do such a thing, nor warranty a chrome plated wheel...

The other approach (like the 20" Heritage wheel) is to polish the aluminum and clear coat it - granted, it has a different color (less blueish color than chrome) and has a softer reflective quality, but its the more durable way to go.

Otherwise, you have the chrome-painted clad covers, but if anything (i.e. road salt, or de-icing chemicals) gets to that chrome paint, that won't hold up either.
Blackfire Wet Diamond Metal Sealant................nuff' said.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Exterior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.