Dodge Challenger Forum banner

'Cuda - crazy idea, need opinions, thanks!

6K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  movnviol 
#1 ·

Talking about 2015-2016 Challenger, let's say I have the ability to manufacture a front grill, rear fascia and taillights, and vinyl decal.
If I designed direct replacement parts to drop in to the current platform, do you think I could sell enough 71 Barracuda appearance kits to make it worthwhile before Chrysler sent me a cease and desist order?

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Mr. Norms is already doing this, has been for sometime.
I'm not sure if his kits are listed as "bolt on" for the 2015+ platform but I don't see why it couldn't be made to work easy enough.
Saying that however, I don't think they are flying off the shelves or ever will be.
I've also seen a few others done, 1 off, by very skilled individuals, where eventual cost total was not the concern.
You'd have so much $$ tied up in it all, I don't see how one could ever make a profit, even if mass produced, more likely the very opposite, given that they are a very small, very unique niche' within the challenger community and many people, even if they like them, probably wouldn't actually buy them and then convert their new challenger.
I personally liken them, just a step up from to the utterly grotesque superbird/daytona kits that are unfortunately out there.
Hemi4us

Attachments

#5 ·
I did not know about Mr. Norm's until now. We just bought a 2015 Challenger. I recently read about a place that "converts" Camaros into Firebirds and the pictures did not look too terrible.
Then the light bulb came on lol.
Obviously I'm way late to the party.
Regarding Mr. Norm's the front grill looks pretty good but I feel the rear can be done much better.
But still, if done well, I would love to Barracuda-ize my Challenger.

#6 ·
My brother bought one of the first CamaroBird conversions. I believe it's actually number 4 from what is now called Trans Am Worldwide. The conversion was beautifully executed and he's actually just sent the car back to their Florida headquarters for some updates. If someone was willing to pay licensing fees, as I believe T.A.W. does for both the Trans Am and GTO monikers, I'm sure FCA would be open to the idea. (IMO, the TAW GTO is hotter looking than the TA).

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Yellow Motor vehicle

#7 ·
I grew up loving the 70's era Barracudas. In 2008 when they came out with the new Challengers, right away I noticed a hint of Cuda. For years I heard that they might introduce a modern version. Waited from 2008 until 2014. Got fed up waiting and bought my 2014 RT Plus and immediately started the the changes. Here is where I am at so far. I like the Challenger rear tail lights, but if someone made a decent kit, I would swap them out.

Attachments

#10 ·
The 'Cuda had slightly different (softer lines on the fenders doors and quarters). They also had a 1" shorter wheelbase than the Challengers. To do it right and to look authentic Plymouth the kit would need to have quarters, door skins, fenders with the correct lines and a way to relocate the rear end 1" towards the front of the car and a shorter drive shaft.

#11 ·
I do like the Mr. Norms rear taillight covers. BUT......I also have the Web Electric sequential lights and I like their look also. Its a hard decision on which I like better. The sequentials are always getting positive comments.

#13 ·
My billboards were custom made by a place in Baldwin, NY called Speedworld Grafix . Made using a computer program after measurements. They are 4 years old and starting to show some age. Mine are longer than the ones I've seen that are already made for installation. My "HEMI" letters go into the doors. Some are qtr. panel only. I also picked my own colors from a 3M deck of vinyl wrap. 3M # 1080-M261 Matte Dark Grey. I was the first car he ever tried it on and took 2 days. $450. The cool thing is at night it ghosts into the Granite color and when the light hits it, it reflects lighter. Since the photos in the thread, I've added a old school rear spoiler and the car is going into the shop tomorrow for a new aluminum T/A hood upgrade.

Attachments

Reactions: Proffy1
#18 ·
To me, the 1970 Plymouth Barracuda reached the pinnacle of combining automotive body design with performance. The body lines and the car's stance are perfect; just sitting there, the car gives full visual notification of the power and performance under the hood. And to me, what absolutely ties it all together is are the rear end lines.

Meaning no disrespect to any members here who have undertaken the "Cuda conversion" of their Challengers, but I just can't see it. The Gen 3 Challenger harkens back to that era, but the girth of its own body (the best muscle car lines current available, IMHO) just don't do justice to the real 'Cudas.

#20 ·
You can get a bunch of parts from autoformgroup.com otherwise known as AFR. They sell the grill that will fit 2008-2014. It goes on simple with 2 screws and comes in black fibreglass. I painted my inserts silver. Other guys paint the inserts the color of their ride and it looks great also. I paid something like $615 delivered and it took 10 minutes to install. I'm not a fan of the Mr. Norms style because its to flat and doesn't look like the original grill. The grill goes right on top of the factory RT grill.

Reactions: BoltGang74
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.