Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Dupli Color Black Chrome Spray Paint

8K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  ArcherAce 
#1 ·
I picked up a Dupli Color Black Chrome spray paint kit with the intention of painting my fuel door to match my rims. I'm not a huge fan of the chrome door, but didn't want to go with black. Here's some pics of the results. One is a side by side with a stock door, (I bought a used one as an extra in case I didn't like it) and the other shows how it compares to my rims.

I used two light coats of color. In retrospect, I should have used a third coat. It's not bad, but it could be a bit darker. When spraying the clear, I used two light coats followed by two heavy coats. Make sure the last two coats of clear go on wet. It really seemed to even out the tone once the clear flowed out.

I'll post some pics of the door installed monday. It's stuck in the garage until then.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
while I prefer the chrome I also like the look of what you did...nice!!!

#8 ·
I need that for some Hellcat stuff. Is this the correct item?

Dupli-Color SHD1000 Shadow Chrome Black-out Coating Kit

#10 ·
I guess chrome spray paint out of a can has come a long way in the last couple years. Last time I tried one, it looked silver and continued to wipe off days after it was dry.
That looks pretty cool!

#13 ·
I saw that at Advanced Auto and was going to buy it for the same purpose, but I chickened out!

Your fuel door turned out Great and now that I've seen it, I might give it a try now too.

I'm Really looking forward to seeing how it looks installed!

Thanks Very much for doing this and for posting this up! :cheers:

#15 ·
I pulled it out today and took a pic. It looks like ****! It looks like I just sprinkled it with dark paint and cleared it. It looked much better in the crappy light of my garage.

When I have time I'm going to try and remove the paint without damaging the chrome and repaint it. I'm hoping it just needed a couple more coats of the base. I'm very disappointed.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.