Dodge Challenger Forum banner

How to unfreeze Challenger door window if you live in winter climate

16K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Kruzin 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay so I drive my Challenger R/T up here in CANADA all year including winters, first this is an awesome car for driving in snow and on ice, ESP works like a charm. But one annoyance is the door window dropping 1/4" when you open the door and then it closes up 1/4" when you close the door. Anyway when the snow melts or you get freezing rain, the window won't go down or up until you unfreeze the window, that's a pain. So here is what I found to work flawlessly, put window washer fluid in a spray bottle and put it in your trunk, when you can't get in the door the trunk will open so you can get it, then spray around the windows edge and let the window washer fluid work its way into the ice, then go on eBay and buy these plastic trim tools with the sharp edge, then you insert the sharp edge under the rubber seal the window is stuck in and drag it across, the trim tool breaks the loose ice from the window washer fluid, then do the same thing across the bottom edge of the window to the door frame with the sharp edge of the trim tool and SHAZAM! you are in the car like in 15 seconds. Here is the trim tools on eBay http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=261543477730&view=all&tid=1565756176016

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hasn't happened to me but I've read that you can use a credit card (instead of a Chinese tool).

#5 ·
I heard that Chrysler recommends using Aquapel on the windows to cure this. I have some, just waiting for it to warm up to put it on. And thumbs up for driving your Challenger everyday! Mines a daily driver too, and I agree, they are actually great in the snow.

#6 ·
I suppose but who wants to take the chance of damaging your Chip&Pin credit card, no more tap or worse you snap the credit card in half because it was so cold out and then you have to wait for a new card. Hey it's your credit card, your call, I'm just saying, this method worked great for me.

#8 ·
I live in Alaska and drive my Challenger daily (winter included). I've had good luck with Rain-X. The product greatly prevents the snow from sticking to the window, and repels nearly all the water to prevent freezing in the window channel at night. On days of extreme cold, the ice crystals forming on the window surface will freeze to the glass channel weatherstrip. When this happens, I've had luck using the trim tools the OP pictured or a credit card. Just insert one of these in between the window and the weatherstrip and slide it across the channel to release the window. In some circumstances, you may have to do the same for the upper and side window weatherstrips.

Another item to consider is a block heater. This is, by far, the best winter-prep item I've added to my Challenger, greatly reducing warm-up time and ensuring nearly instant heat, while also aiding window defrosting.

#9 ·
i use silicone .any hardware store sells it in spray cans.put the little tube in the spray nozzle and run a bead along the bottom of the window where it meets the rubber at the door.even if the ice gets on the window it wont bond.try it out it works well for me and spray the rubber gaskets along the door s also

#10 ·
Any problems with it leaving streaks on the glass?

#11 ·
While we're on the topic of unfreezing windows... the bigger problem i usually have is the actual door freezing shut, not so much the window. It seems that there's always moisture in the sill of the body and the rubber on the bottom of the door freezes to it. One day i swear im gonna rip my door handle off. Would putting rainX or something similar on the actual body sill help at all?

#12 ·
Ok guys and gals this what I used for frozen window problem on my 2010 SE Rallye.

Product is available at bavauto.com. Autosol Gummi-Pflege. $7.95 for a bottle. I also use a small plastic putty knife to run between the window and rubber trim. This product works great. The stuff Chrysler says to use doesn't work.

#13 ·
ive thought about getting this, i know a lot of people swear by it.. but i dont get it. everything i've read about it and all the videos i've seen of it, looks like you just apply it to the rubber, kind of like a rubber restorer.. how does it actually help with sticking to the windows. do you use it on the windows too? am i an idiot?

#14 ·
I have solved my window freezing problem. First I went to a storage unit place and used a similar credit card trick to buy a 10 x 15 garage space and I haven't had any problems with the windows getting stuck. It does cost a bit more than silicone or Rain-X. !:grin2:

#15 ·
when you first spray the window sills with silicone the glass looks greasy.once you wash the car it goes away.then after you wash the car you will notice the glass will bead up like you waxed them.ive been doing this for years and have had no problems.it works well on the door rubber gaskets also

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.