Dodge Challenger Forum banner

License Plate Protector... Do They Help?

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  tdkkart 
#1 ·
Anyone ever tried these or similar. Ever see them in action protect you from a low speed love tap.

They would be setting mostly at an angle on the Challenger anyway as the front license plate mount on the Challenger is not vertical, only the top running edge would be making contact with anything/anybody.

Suppose more often than not somebody else vehicle is not going to be matching perfectly up with you and be at same height.

See less See more
#5 ·
Never seen these. I doubt it would do much if a drunken Prius driver backed into you downtown. Legally, as long as you are not covering your tabs in the corners, you should be ok. I use a front license plate cover to protect my personalized plates from rocks and stuff. A few bucks each, and I just replace it when they take a shot and crack.

#6 ·
Yep, I just use a clear license plate cover to protect the plate and keep it clean. I doubt that frame will prevent any serious damage in the event of an impact. Don't forget stainless steal screws. I hate seeing rusty screws bleeding down a license plate. Just a pet peeve haha

#7 · (Edited)
I believe it's the clear screens that are illegal (in some states), not license plate frames, rubber or not. To me that one just looks bulky and I doubt it offers much protection. I once did leave the imprint of one of my license plate screws on another car's bumper (paid or the repair), and in that case the rubber over my screws would've helped. Otherwise this gadget is no bumper guard. I kinda like it, though.

#10 ·
Illegal in NY too. A lot of the Canadian shoppers that come over daily have them on their cars. After awhile, they start to haze over and its hard to read the plate.

NY also doesn't allow the top (NEW YORK) and bottom (THE EMPIRE STATE) to be covered w/ a plate holder. Most all dealers put their advertising plate holder on their cars that blocks these words. I got a bull$hit ticket for having The Empire State blocked in part by the Dealer's name. 25.00 ticket and an 85.00 state surcharge.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.