Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Lowering 2012 R/T

6K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  MoparSpeed 
#1 ·
Just curious who has lowered their 2012 R/T? What springs did you use? Has anyone just cut 1 coil off their springs? Sorry if this has been posted before, but it seems the lowering thread is all SRT's models. My understanding is they are already a little lower and have different suspension specs. Anyway, I have 20" chrome rims with 245/45ZR20 Goodyear tires, and would love to get it sitting lower without rubbing the tires.
Thx

#2 ·
I too would like a little info on this..I'm torn between lowering car or going to 22" viper wheels

#5 · (Edited)
Eibach Pro Kit.

Mine is an R/T with SRT Wheels. It has been lowered 1.7". Check to see if you have "self leveling" shocks. If so, you need the full kit (shocks and springs) as the shocks will do their best to maintain stock height. I also went with the Eibach sway bars. Handles like it's on rails. The first picture is on a hill of sorts. The rear isn't quite this low.

#7 ·
Mine is an R/T with SRT Wheels. It has been lowered 1.7". Check to see if you have "self leveling" shocks. If so, you need the full kit (shocks and springs) as the shocks will do their best to maintain stock height. I also went with the Eibach sway bars. Handles like it's on rails. The first picture is on a hill of sorts. The rear isn't quite this low.

Very nice!! What is your wheel size and width?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

#8 ·
Curtisville,
Any other parts required for alignment?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

#10 ·
As previously mentioned, make sure you don't have the self leveling rear shocks. The way to do this is to inspect them for their branding. If they just say MOPAR, you're ok. If they say SACHS, then you have to swap them out. We can get you the Eibach Pro-Kit with the rear bilstein shocks (if you need them) and then when you do the alignment, if you require a camber adjustment kit, we have that as well. Everything is in stock!

#11 ·
Eibach Pro Springs

I have a 2012 R/T Classic and just installed the Eibach Prokit springs (took all day, what a bear). I also installed the Petty Garage Strut Tower brace (color matched to car) and Shock tower brace (will be cutting carpet this weekend to get it to fit back in the trunk.

What I wasn't planning on was the camber change. The fronts went to -1.7 degrees (way outside the -.09 to +.4 range). I just ordered from Summit the SPC upper control arms that have caster/camber adjustability.

For the rears, the camber really changed and ended up -2.0 degrees well beyond the -1.2 to -.01 range. Fortunately Eibach does make the rear control arm bushing and Summit had them as well.

Long story short, I should have spent more time researching this as I could have changed out all the parts at one time. Will post pictures once I'm done.

#12 ·
Any p/n's for additional parts ordered would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#14 ·
The Eibach ProSet Springs, Part Number: 28111.140 (TireRack has them for $255). Eibach Rear Alignment kit
Part Number: 5.66085K ($85)and SPC Performance Front Upper Control Arms SPS-66045 ($340) I got both from Summit Racing. I looked all over the web and SPC seems to be the only one currently making the control arms for the 2012's.

Total drop of the car was 1" at the fronts and 1.25" at the rear. I expect the springs to settle over the next 30 days finally reaching another .25" at both ends. The combination of the springs and strut/shock braces has made a major change to how the car handles on turns, but has also firmed up the ride. One definately feels the bumps more.

#15 ·
Thanks for all the p/n info. Looking forward to hearing your feedback on the install of the adjustable camber parts.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#16 ·
With the wheel gap that the LX platform comes with we recommend ST Suspensions Coilovers. By using coilovers you will achieve the ride quality that springs do not offer as well as an adjustable lowering height.

Unfortunately due to the design of the 2011+ the alignment bushings are sometimes required to get back within factory specs. This applies to most lowering springs as well.

#17 · (Edited)
i have a 2012 rt, and I DID the eibach pro kit. just springs.

bad experience with me, once installed at the shop...they took it to get it aligned.

come to find out when i got new wheels and rims..they didnt aligned it.

had to install spc adjustable control arms in the front, and rear camber kit. i spent alot just to get aligned. sucked. around 900+

before

after

#19 ·
I lowered mine with the SRT-8 Mopar suspension kit: #P5155435. It's about 1 inch lower and the ride is stiffer but not bone-jarring, and alignment is not as critical, but still recommended.

You can find a new kit on any car site (I got mine on E-bay) for around $470 plus S&H.

#21 · (Edited)
I have a set of 2012 SRT8 Challenger coil springs for sale. They have 2000 miles on them. $100.00 plus shipping. For all 4. IF they will fit your R/T, this would be a cheap lowering alternative. I don't know if they will fit or not...check around on forums and see.
Rob

#22 ·
I went with the Eibach Sportline springs, they give a little bit more drop than the Pro-kit.
To me the drop is just perfect, I felt like the drop that the pro-kit's were offering just wasn't enough for the money.
If you are going to install springs, I recommend you also install shocks of the same brand. You can last a little while on your stock ones but they will blow after awhile and make an awful banging noise.

If you want to do the install yourself, you'll need a spring compressor, pitman arm puller and some air tools. I looked up videos on youtube and did it myself in about 4-5 hours.

Here is a comparison of before and after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.