Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Matte black paint job on RT

82K views 66 replies 44 participants last post by  HOTMOPR 
#1 · (Edited)
cars at the body shop completely ready to be painted. Going full matte black. But im alittle skeptical with all the nicer colors matte has to offer now. Any input would be great. painting will probably start tomorrow.

UPDATED PICS OF CORRECTED PAINT JOB ON PG#6.... PRIOR PAINT ON PG#3

#2 ·
You can never go wrong with matte black, but if you want to be different, go with another matte color. There's an Accord running around down here that's matte blue and it looks great.

For an Accord :)

#4 ·
Seems a lot of cars on the shows like Texas Car Wars and Fast N Loud use the matte finish a lot. Half the time they spray matte clear over the mottled brown rust look that takes 25 years to get to look like that. Personally, I have a penchant for the matte white hood look and with a matte blue, that would be pretty fantastic...stick with a "Dodge" blue though. Or a Petty blue.

Tell me something, once the car is matte, do you care so much about washing it, door dings (without the dents), etc? It would be nice to be relaxed about the finish of the car...

#5 ·
I don't get the appeal for the Matt paint job.
to me it says utility vehicle with a cheap paint job designed to just keep the rust out

Reactions: MikeDCop
#7 ·
Yea matte gray was another option. Wish I would've seen this picture before. Cars already more than halfway painted. I'm looking into that 392 chin spoiler can't find it though

#9 ·
Flat Black is played out

That Gray looks smiply amazing!

#10 ·
cars at the body shop completely ready to be painted. Going full matte black. But im alittle skeptical with all the nicer colors matte has to offer now. Any input would be great. painting will probably start tomorrow.
I love the matte black on the Challenger. Please post pics once they are done. I think it looks like a stealth bomber. I thought about doing this myself, but I am still in love with my Blackberry Pearl.

I found a matte blue Challenger online:

Rudy Gay Memphis Grizzleys, matte blue Challenger

If I were to go matte/satin I would still go black myself. Thats just me.
:browsmiley:

#12 ·
If I had the cash I would go matte or satin grey (darker, not as light as the picture posted), black wheels and red accents. I'm almost there with my dark titanium metallic R/T. Got dark tint, plasti-dip black wheels with red pin strip around edge, red grill surround and red pin stripe following upper body contour. I've got red caliper paint waiting to put on and am debating on weather to re-paint my spoiler red or not....

I give the matte / satin look a thumbs up!

J

#16 ·
I personally don't tend to like the matte paint jobs, but if I were to buy a car in it I think it would likely be something like Titanium Gray / gunmetal. Having said that I was just talking with a guy I know that works for one of the better local paint and body shops about this trend last night, and he told me that they do a fair number of them at his shop, but he personally would never own a car done in matte paint because they tend to chip much easier. I don't know if this is true, but this did come from a guy that paints cars for a living.

Ike

#17 ·
as soon as i read the title i thought of the same car that Galvatron mentioned .... i thought when I saw it that if i ever change my color it would be the matt blue from the same car hes talking about

#20 ·
Matte black, or satin black (aka hot rod black) is freakin' awesome looking! Its been around for a long time. All these haters bother to post in your thread and you already made it clear its in the shop being painted matte black already. Don't fret, I think it is gonna look bad ass! You know what they say:

Please post pics once they are done.

I found this youtube video and if it looks anything like this, you are going to be one happy dude. :thumbsup:

Flat Black 2009 5.7L Hemi Dodge Challenger R/T - YouTube

#21 ·
Matte black, or satin black (aka hot rod black) is freakin' awesome looking! Its been around for a long time. All these haters bother to post in your thread and you already made it clear its in the shop being painted matte black already. Don't fret, I think it is gonna look bad ass! You know what they say:

Please post pics once they are done.

I found this youtube video and if it looks anything like this, you are going to be one happy dude. :thumbsup:

Flat Black 2009 5.7L Hemi Dodge Challenger R/T - YouTube
Easy tiger, he asked for opinions.

#23 ·
I'm about to look into doing the matte vinyl wrap for my tungsten. I think it will look hard.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#24 · (Edited)
It came out alot more Matte than i Expected i guess i went alittle over board when i explained to the shop i wanted it as MATTE as possible. The overall feel of the car is rough. Feels like i has No clearcoat what so ever. Its actually not very easy to maintain either. I had to buy a special wash kit from online that i found to maintain the paint since you cant use ordinary washing materials on this paint. I wouldve like for it to be alittle glossier. But thats what opinions are for so input is welcome BAD or GOOD :SM127:

UPDATED PICS OF CORRECTED PAINT JOB ON PG#6

Attachments

#25 ·
FYI i Just ordered the 392 Spoiler should be here tomorrow. Also ordering New brake kit. Along with some lowering springs. ANybody here have input on HR Sport Springs?

#28 ·
+1 it def has a rattle can primer appearance to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.