Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Mud flaps installed on my Scat Pack

20K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  BONESHOCKA 
#1 ·
Installed mud flaps on the scat pack. My previous challenger had quite a few stone chips and roughed up paint after 22k miles flapless. So I thought I'd try and protect this one a little better.

They're not to bad looking and were easy to install. Maybe an hour for all four.

The instructions said to remove the rear tires to drill out the rivets where the flaps attach but you don't have to. You can easily get to the back side of the rivets. I just laid on my back under the car and cut them off from the backside. And drilled the one needed hole from the back as well. If anyone has any questions how to do it just let me know. I have a bunch of pictures and don't mind posting them and some instructions.

Wood Table Hardwood Tool woodworking
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Vehicle
Alloy wheel Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire
Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Car Exhaust system

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#5 ·
Looks good, what brand flap is that? 35k on my R/T and no chips yet, but never too late to get some.

#6 ·
I've already got my Mopar splash guards ordered about 5 months before my car will arrive lol. I had them on both of my previous Challengers and wouldn't think of driving without them, particularly with oversized wide tires. Look great!

#7 ·
Installed mud flaps on the scat pack. My previous challenger had quite a few stone chips and roughed up paint after 22k miles flapless. So I thought I'd try and protect this one a little better.

They're not to bad looking and were easy to install. Maybe an hour for all four.

The instructions said to remove the rear tires to drill out the rivets where the flaps attach but you don't have to. You can easily get to the back side of the rivets. I just laid on my back under the car and cut them off from the backside. And drilled the one needed hole from the back as well. If anyone has any questions how to do it just let me know. I have a bunch of pictures and don't mind posting them and some instructions.

View attachment 306273 View attachment 306281 View attachment 306289 View attachment 306297

Thx man. Mine r on the way. I'd appreciate any detailed instruction that u can post. Thx!!

#8 ·

View attachment 306273 View attachment 306281 View attachment 306289 View attachment 306297

Hey Woz, In the one rear drivers side pic it looks like the flap is not tight to the body....and maybe a little ****ed? When I installed mine there is a hook on the back flaps that needs to get hooked into the lower body plastic. I will get a pic of mine soon.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Pics of the drivers side rear flap.

Attachments

#13 ·
Are those new flaps for 15 or are they the old ones?

#15 ·
Where did you get them? Price?

#16 ·
I'm contemplating this but it looks like your flaps are about 3/4 inch too narrow on the outside. With the tire sticking out 3/4 inch past the flaps, some debris still makes it by as you can see on your car. I'm worried that the SRT tires might stick out even further. I know you don't want it looking like a truck but I think another inch overhang on the sides would be better and would still look decent. Are there better (wider) options?

Mike

#17 ·
I have 275 width tires on my car which are the same width as an SRT. An SRT should like mine does tire wise.

I was at the track on Saturday and did burnouts before staging ... these flaps caught A LOT of rubber and saved me a lot of cleaning on the rear of the car.

#19 ·
... I don't think they're much different...it looks like they stick out more in your picture vs. my picture in my first post because your picture is from an angle to the rear tire. Mine is from directly behind the tire, take a picture form the same angle as mine and I doubt you'll notice much difference.

Mine is a 275 width tire on the 9" Scat Pack Wheel. The SRT is a 275 width tire on a 9.5" Wheel. If I was a betting man I would say the offsets are such that they both "stick out" the same distance.

#21 ·
The Mopar mud flaps can/will scrape up your paint pretty bad on the front ones. I had them for a couple years and once I removed them I had some deep scratches where the top part of the molding is pushing right against the clear coat. Never again for me.... cars lines look better without mud flaps IMO. Now I use Dr. Colorchip every year to remove any/all rock chips. There is also another option where you can put a 3M clear masking over the bottom of the doors which will stop the chips and keep your paint in good condition.

#25 ·
Lol - nice. The new rear ones are held in by screws into metal fender lip clips. So a little beefier.

The front ones are a combination of the screws and clips and two plastic push-style fasteners.

#26 ·
Woz10 - I just received these as well. If you have any other pics of the install process, specifically drilling out the back rivets, that would be great. I plan on trying to install tomorrow during the day.

#27 ·
Leave your rear tires on and just cut the rivets off from the backside with some cutters. And drill the one hole undersized (1/8") at an angle from the back side. The screw will pull its way through it and open up the hole to what it needs to be. Use a 1/4in ratchet with a 1/4" bit and a Phillips bit in the socket to tighten the screws if you don't have any specialty right angle tools.

For the fronts crank your wheel all the way to the left for the driver side and to the right for the passenger side and you'll have plenty of access to install them.

Helmet Personal protective equipment Tire Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive exterior Tire Automotive tire Bumper Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Metal

Reactions: iMerlin
#28 ·
Leave your rear tires on and just cut the rivets off from the backside with some cutters. And drill the one hole undersized (1/8") at an angle from the back side. The screw will pull its way through it and open up the hole to what it needs to be. Use a 1/4in ratchet with a 1/4" bit and a Phillips bit in the socket to tighten the screws if you don't have any specialty right angle tools.

For the fronts crank your wheel all the way to the left for the driver side and to the right for the passenger side and you'll have plenty of access to install them.
Good tips, thanks Woz. Im going to give it a go tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.