Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Rally stripes on a Go Mango SPS: which design?

21K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  JavierA 
#1 ·
So I'm a big fan of rally stripes (had silver ones on my a black WS6 T/A in the late '90s) and the ones that Dodge offers on the Challenger SRT 392 are perfect. However, I'm going to be ordering a Scat Pack Shaker. I've been thinking about options for rally striping on this car, knowing that the OEM ones don't fit this hood correctly.

Rider Graphix makes a set specific for the shaker hood, that run from deck lid to the edge of the front fascia. They also sell replica SRT 392 rally stripes, and based on my inquiries, said they'd be willing to alter them so that there was a shaker cutout on the hood instead of one for the Cuda-style center scoop. My problem now is that I can't decide which one to go with. I prefer the full-length SRT style stripes, but I'm not sure how they'll line up with the shaker trim ring, and they would also require me to remove the factory SPAG bee stripe on the tail if I order that option (which I might do for the interior trim more than anything else).

Since Valkyrie9901 recently took delivery of a Go Mango SPS that optioned out very similar to how I'd order mine -- see his thread here -- I asked for his permission to mock up some photos of his car with the stripe ideas I had in mind. So thanks to him, here are some pics of a Go Mango SPS with rally stripes in two different styles.

Which style do you like better?

Option 1: SRT-style rally stripes

These will be familiar to anyone who's seen an SRT 392 with factory stripe option. I'm not sure if I got the width right since I don't know the measurements, but since the SRT's teardrop center scoop is narrower than the shaker, the stripes probably will be no wider than the shaker itself. Basically the stripes would look OEM except for the hood portion which would be custom. If I ordered SPAG, I'd have to remove the bee stripe from the tail for this to work. Also I'm not sure whether I should stripe the spoiler or not since it's already satin black.

Option 2: Rider Graphix shaker rally stripes - hood only

This set is already designed for the shaker hood. It comes with pieces for the spoiler, trunk, roof, hood and top of the front fascia. If I ordered the SPAG option, I'd leave the bee stripe on the tail and just install the hood and front fascia portion of this kit, as shown above. I think this is a cool look, but I'm a bit worried that the hood stripes are too wide making the shaker hard to notice. Rider Graphix doesn't have any photos of this kit actually installed, except for one small one on a 2014 Challenger Shaker.

Something else?

I probably can't be talked out of stripes, so don't even try. :D Still, if anyone has a different idea or examples of something cool they've done on their Shaker, feel free to post pics!

The OEM shaker stripe is pretty cool and I've also considered just going with that, but you can't get the SPAG option and the shaker stripe together. I may or may not order SPAG; still undecided.

Thanks again to Valkyrie9901 for letting me use the pics of his amazing Scat Pack Shaker.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
A member has the rallye style stripes on his SPS - went with a 10" width, which looks better.
When I heard about it, I wasn't sure, but it looks great.

Pitch Black paint with metallic red stripes (he has the ruby/black interior as well)

Wider than the Shaker trim ring, but not as wide as your 2nd pics (those are a bit wide).

#4 ·
If you want the full leather seats (w/ Shaker logo) - you don't order SPAG - FYI

otherwise, if you get SPAG option its the Alcantara seats w/ the SP Bee logo

#5 ·
I think the stripes detract from your Shaker hood. I went naked for that reason :D

#6 ·
I don't like any stripes that look like another model so I would be against SRT lookalike stripes. If I had a Shaker I would delete all stripes and put the black R/T Classic side stripes on it, either the earlier style or the new 15+ version, any one of them looks great on a Shaker and balances the car out perfectly.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I like the thinner stripes over the wide ones, but I think both styles take the focus away from the Shaker, which is what really should be the focal point. I kind of like the naked Shaker look myself. Another thing is, you really shouldn't hide that Go Mango paint! This is why I'm going the side stripe route. I should have mine installed in a few weeks.

#8 ·
Yeah, I do agre now that I look at them again...the stripes are detracting from the shaker, especially the wide ones. It's kind of getting lost.

This is why I like the OEM shaker stripe on the hood as it kind of accentuates the shaker by outlining it and not extending beyond it. But I don't like the roof and trunk portions of that stripe because it covers up so much paint with flat black.

What about just doing the hood portion of the shaker stripe? I really love how it looks when you look out at the hood from behind the wheel and see it outlining the shaker scoop. If SPAG is ordered, it might balance well with the bee stripe on the tail.

USPonycar, I'd be interested to see your car when the side stripes get applied. I typically am not too big a fan of side stripes, but I may change my mind.

#10 ·
I know you didn't want to hear it but I'd lose the stripes and have the hood satin black wrapped. The mango HCs have the satin black hood and look badass. Thats my opinion, others have expressed their opinions, and you have your own opinion. That's what makes modding so great. How boring it would be if he all shared the same opinion. Do what makes you happy and proud of your Challenger and be sure to post pics when you get it.

#20 ·
I like that look you are talking about CR. I also think it looks good on the B5 complimented with the bumble bee rear quarter stripe and window louvers. I am considering this for mine.

#11 ·
Bandit, I'll post pics of the side stripes before and after install, which should be within 2 weeks or so.

#12 ·
Of the two, I prefer #1. I do like the bee stripe though. I'll pick door #3...naked but with just the Bee stripe :)

A Guy

#14 ·
Here's an example of the center shaker stripe on the hood only (I had removed the shaker stripes)

-personally I don't care for the look of the black trim ring, looks unfinished to me, since the originals had body color trim rings and either an argent or black shaker bubble (or body color on red or blue) back in the day.

Attachments

Reactions: B5BABYBLUES
#15 ·
Option 1 for sure. Keeps the attention more on the shaker thus making it look more menacing and powerful.

#23 ·
Hockey Sticks and War Stripes.....

This combo is less common and looks best IMO.

The War (or Whisker Stripes) will not interfere with shaker. If anything, they will direct attention toward it. Hockey Sticks come in different sizes. Most can be tailored to: Engine Size, Hemi, SRT, RT, Bee, Shaker, etc). Some Whisker stripes can have cubic inch call out etc.

Attachments

#25 ·
Thanks everyone for all of the great feedback and ideas. There are so many ways to dress these cars up and they all look good.

I'm still deliberating over all of this. I really like what Hal has done with his "partial" shaker stripe removal. I also kinda like the war paint slashes on the front fenders. I'm starting to think I will order the SPAG option, keep the bee stripe on the tail and add either war paint or the OEM shaker stripes on the hood only.

Man...I've never been so indecisive over a car before, haha. It's like in the 11 years (this month!) since I last ordered a car, I forgot how to make decisions. (To be fair, when I ordered my GTO, there were literally only three options to choose from including color.)

#28 · (Edited)
Bandit, you asked me to post a pic of my side stripes on my SRT, so here's one for now. I ended up going with a Drag Pack based design without any Drag Pack name at the end of it. My mother-in-law took a quick cell phone pic just as we got home today after the stripes were installed. It was raining a bit, so I'll take better pics after I wash the car up and install a few more minor exterior mods.
The color on these is actually dark charcoal and the stripes go well with the SRT wheels, not really shiny like this pic.

Attachments

Reactions: c26bt34c
#29 ·
Looks great!! I was so close to putting those same side stripes on and in dark charcoal also. Drove myself crazy wondering how they would look and now to see yours I definitely think they look really good! Ended up just getting the hood wrapped in carbon fiber a couple months back but some day may still do those stripes, good job!

Attachments

#30 ·
392STNR, I like the wrapped hood too, but I was reluctant to cover up to much of the Go Mango paint. I'm still getting used to the stripes for that reason, and I may add a few more things like a MOPAR logo on the hood and above the front side marker lights, maybe even where the chrome DODGE letters are in the rear. I don't want to overdo it, but the cost of those makes them almost disposable. If I don't like them, I'll just rip them off lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.