Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Side Vents?

63K views 144 replies 44 participants last post by  soonercruiser 
#1 ·
Has anyone thought of putting side vents/port holes on the upper sides of their challenger. I am thinking it might look good. Any input?

#5 ·
I have seen a few Challengers with the gills and imho they looked terrible. This is a Challenger not a Cuda.

#6 ·
Well my car looks interesting, different from any challenger I've seen thus far. I have 20" black wheels with a chrome lip and tints on the dark metallic color, it just seemed to make it more modern than retro to me although they are only slight modifications. So my next step was side vents and some type of vinyl. Well I made my decision on both, I will post pictures. I don't expect everyone to like these but please be open minded.

Also, I saw the 71 Cuda vents and I was leaning towards something with less chrome. Heres what Im going with...

Those fender vents, I like em...

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=268118&ppid=1122ℑ=189954465&images=189954465,189954476&formats=0,0&format=0

^ Those are the C-Pillar Stripes. I originally wanted the text to read R/T but I went with solid black instead.

My car is dark metallic so it seems as if all black and chrome mesh with i tperfectly. I'll post pictures when everything is said and done.

#11 ·
They look good on an old Buick;)

#12 ·
'Cuda ain't no more. If you like 'em do 'em!

#14 ·
#16 ·
Personally, I wouldn't do it. I've just seen SO many people throw those adhesive vents on the side of their old hoopties. You don't want it to look too "cheesy or cheap". But if you really want to do it and you think it'll look good. Go for it, as long as it makes YOU happy!!!

#21 ·
I was thinking of these when I saw the topic. But, these would be scoops, wouldn't they?

Attachments

#22 ·
GhostDance,
I know, I'm really on the fence with this one too. It's so hard to imagine what it'd look like on the Challenger. I don't want to make it look a Rice Burner and want to keep it classy and cool.

If I Could afford it, I'd do what Panda RT did

#24 ·
Yearone. The only problem is, they are made to bolt on. I would like to mount these on the R/T, so I would remove the studs, buildup the back, and use 3M tape. Mr. Norms garage has a version of these, but they don't look right. Here is the link to the YO Page for this item. Go down to items #5, 6;

YearOne Online Shopping

#26 ·
#45 ·
The problem with those scoops is that they're in between the door & the rear wheel. Proper side scoop placement dictates that they be located somewhere between the front wheel & the door hinge. And it doesn't matter that Ford chose to place them where they did, that'w why its a Ford. Those look exceedingly "cheesy" & they aint cheap, so why even bother?
A company named Retro USA had some decent looking ones that were copied from the 72-74 Challenger's but its just a glue on kit. To me if the extractors (scoops) aren't built into the fender, why even consider doing this mod? The object is to try & remove any excess heat from the engine compartment. Gluing, taping or affixing scoops on the side fender doesn't address this issue. Personally I do think Dodge should take a look @ the 1972-1974 Dodge Challengers as they did have side extractors installed on them.
You can't compare what would look right on a Chrysler 300 to a Challenger, its an apples & oranges comparison @ best.
I like the 70-74 Barracuda but i can't see why someone would pay all that money to convert their car to something that its not? Same thing with Camaro owners convert their cars into Firebirds, WTF???

#30 ·
Mustang Cervini side scoops

Mustang Cervini side scoops like this?

If you get them, take some pics what they look like on your Challenger! I'm thinking of just buying the Mustang side vents and putting them on myself as is with no mod to them. They appear like they'll fit as is or is the mod required? I'm guessing maybe you'll m ake a mod so they fit snug around the rear wheel well?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.