Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Simulated Hood Pins

56K views 147 replies 32 participants last post by  Gila Hemi 
#1 ·
Does anyone actually have simulated hood pins on their Challenger. I like the look of hood pins on our cars and my only reason for them would for the look. I'm not sure I like hood pins enough to want my hood drilled. I seen pictures of the simulated hood pins online and they don't look half bad in the photos, but I haven't seen them in person. I know the simulated hood pins are fake and have no purpose other than looks but I didn't know if fake would be too tacky or whatever on the Challenger. I haven't seen much I here about them so I figured it was pretty much real or not at all but thought I would get some input anyways. Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
I have the cosmetic "fake" ones. I like them. Didn't see the value in spending way more money and ruining my hood for the "real" ones since there would be no functional value in either case. They look good and look real, with the hood closed. I wouldn't have these if I was into showing the car, but it is a perfect solution for my daily driver.

#5 ·
I member in my club bought the fake ones just to make sure he liked them before drilling. The company he bought his from actually sells the pin base separate so if later on you want to make them real you can. Honestly his look great even with the hood open, if your not looking for the base/pin once hood is open you would never know.

#24 · (Edited)

Attachments

#9 ·
To all

I have been seriously considering the hood pins for my '14 Blacktop, and I will be going with fake if I get them. They perform no real function on a modern car so it's really just for looks. The fake ones cost much less and you don't drill your hood. I see that as a big benefit. I have seen some up close that are solid metal and gloss black. you just can't tell they aren't real.

#19 ·
I have been seriously considering the hood pins for my '14 Blacktop, and I will be going with fake if I get them. They perform no real function on a modern car so it's really just for looks. The fake ones cost much less and you don't drill your hood. I see that as a big benefit. I have seen some up close that are solid metal and gloss black. you just can't tell they aren't real.
let me know if you find the gloss black set

#10 ·
I agree and when you open the hood your not looking at the corner for pins or up at the hood corners for holes, your looking at the engine.

#12 · (Edited)
Does anyone actually have simulated hood pins on their Challenger. I like the look of hood pins on our cars and my only reason for them would for the look. I'm not sure I like hood pins enough to want my hood drilled. I seen pictures of the simulated hood pins online and they don't look half bad in the photos, but I haven't seen them in person. I know the simulated hood pins are fake and have no purpose other than looks but I didn't know if fake would be too tacky or whatever on the Challenger. I haven't seen much I here about them so I figured it was pretty much real or not at all but thought I would get some input anyways. Thanks.
This thread has helpful info. Im thinking about getting a pair from CDC.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/added-hood-pins-78585/

#18 ·
I have the cosmetic pins as well, $40 well spent. Unless you have an aftermarket, lightweight hood, that doesn't latch with the stock latching mechanism then any hood pins are pretty much cosmetic anyway. Big woop, some things are just for looks and add no functionality to a car.

#22 ·
For those with the stick on hood pins did you place them like the Mopar pins 3" over and 3" up from hood edge or place them like the old Challengers 3" over and 6" up. I wasn't sure what the consensus was on placement for the new Challengers.

I estimated placement from pictures of classic hoods with pins and measured them from there. I just ensured they matched in distance from lateral edge and up the hood on mine.

#29 ·
I went fake since i got them almost free with a gift card i won from CDC.. plus what everyone said..stock hood, pretty much non functional fake or real...didnt see the point...mine going on this week when i take the car out of storage.

What measurements do people use?

3" from front of hood and 3" from the edge?

post some pics of your set up and measurements... dont want anything ridiculous looking and some ideas would be cool.

outlaw

#30 · (Edited)
I went fake since i got them almost free with a gift card i won from CDC.. plus what everyone said..stock hood, pretty much non functional fake or real...didnt see the point...mine going on this week when i take the car out of storage.

What measurements do people use?

3" from front of hood and 3" from the edge?

post some pics of your set up and measurements... dont want anything ridiculous looking and some ideas would be cool.

outlaw

Well I decided on the simulated or fake hood pin kit. I went with the AMI kit and the longer lanyards. I did the classic Challenger measurements of 3" from the side of the hood edge and 6" up from the front of the hood edge. I am very happy with the way the look came out. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Automotive exterior

#38 ·
here's a pic of my friends fake pins

Would you happen to have more photos of his car? I think I like make of his hood pins more vice the flat ones. It looks like he has the one on the bottom right of my attached picture.
We are suppose to have a club meet this Saturday if it doesn't rain. I will take a lot more detail pics and post them here.

He got them from Mr Bodykit.com. They were the only company He found that had the 24" long black vinyl coated lanyards to go with the black powder coated hood pins. They also come in a polished finish with clear vinyl coated lanyards. The total cost was about $70 total and the install was quick and easy.

http://www.mrbodykit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_100_921&products_id=3238

#42 ·
thank God for the real deal.

The wife took the shaker in for its first oil change the technician didnt engage the secondary hood latch. He did put the hood pins back in place. She had a 30 mile drive at 70+mph on I-95 with heavy tractor trailer traffic going 80+mph scares me as to what could have happened w/o hood pins in place. I an greatful for the extra insurance of the real hood pins. Together 43 years ,married 39 years June 26.kind of use to having her around. :smile::rocker:

#131 ·
The wife took the shaker in for its first oil change the technician didnt engage the secondary hood latch. He did put the hood pins back in place. She had a 30 mile drive at 70+mph on I-95 with heavy tractor trailer traffic going 80+mph scares me as to what could have happened w/o hood pins in place. I an greatful for the extra insurance of the real hood pins. Together 43 years ,married 39 years June 26.kind of use to having her around. :smile::rocker:

I have a new Shaker also. What is this "engage the secondary hood latch" you are talking about?
You shut the hood, like any other hood, and your done.
Are you talking about some kind of aftermarket hood?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.