Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Sound Crazy... But LED Bar???

21K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  IAmTheJody 
#1 ·
I know I'm probably going to sound crazy, but I'm going to have some changes in my job involving me to travel more that 400 miles at times where it's dark. And I was thinking if anyone has thought of/or done an LED Bar installation in the front fascia of a challenger?

Or what do yall recommend for more lighting on the road?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
I was going to do the exact same thing. Ive never seen it seen it done before. I was thinking of mounting it in the lower grill. But not infront of it but behind it, so i dont lose any astetics. I saw it on a bently one time. Was looking to get one the same size as the lower grill and tie it in with the fog lights. I thought i was the only crazy one lol

#3 ·
Got a Oracle 22" RCB scanner bar just waiting to be installed.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I know I'm probably going to sound crazy, but I'm going to have some changes in my job involving me to travel more that 400 miles at times where it's dark. And I was thinking if anyone has thought of/or done an LED Bar installation in the front fascia of a challenger?
So you want a LED lightbar like an off road vehicle? In some States like California, it would have to be covered while on the road and it would not be usable in the role you want.

None of the lightbars I've seen are US DOT approved and are not street legal in any State.

I'm not certain that I'd care for the look myself.

#9 ·
I dont like the look of them either. Thats why i wanna mount it BEHIND the lower grill. Alot of stuff is illegal that people do. Tint, exhaust, etc. Doesnt stop them. Just gotta be aware of how strict the cops are in your area. I know i wouldent do it in cali, but here in florida they dont care about much. I drive around with cutouts open all the time >:)

#8 · (Edited)
From SEMA 2014: Look at these foglights.
2015 Dodge Challenger "Rapture" by Downforce Motorsports and Pfaff Designs​

#15 ·
Mine is for shows only, didnt plan on using them any other way

#20 ·
Light bars do not have a cutoff. You can't "aim them properly" to get rid of glare unless you're only illuminating the first 10 feet in front of the car. Do you have factory HID? I would do factory retrofits if at night lighting is an issue and you don't. Please do not put HID's in your reflector housings, it might be a worse idea than the light bar. If you have factory HID's and can't see...its not the lighting output.

#35 ·
I have a 2015RT and the lights are the BRIGHTEST I've ever had. I have replaced bulbs in my 4x4's with 55w running 100w brights. The HID lights are a better choice. They are aimed well and when you hit the brights you almost want sunglasses. I would retrofit.

PS: Then you can run the HellCat AirBox too!

#21 · (Edited)

Or what do yall recommend for more lighting on the road?

I thought about the same thing. I don't know where you are at but where I am at in Utah we have to worry about not just deer but antelopes, coyotes, foxes, badgers, bob cats, mountain lions, wild horses and cows. And a black cow on a black road in the black of night can't be seen until you are right on it with standard highbeams.

The biggest issue I see (pun intended) is some of these lights can put out a lot of heat. Have to be sure you don't melt the grill plastic if mounting behind.

Another suggestion would be replacing the stock fog with a brighter fog or driving light and rewiring so you can turn them on with both low AND high beams.

Of course with these suggestions comes the common courtesy of turning them off when coming up behind someone or when there is oncoming traffic.

So you want a LED lightbar like an off road vehicle? In some States like California, it would have to be covered while on the road and it would not be usable in the role you want.

None of the lightbars I've seen are US DOT approved and are not street legal in any State.

Wrong. Rigid Industries.

DOT SAE |Rigid Industries LED Lighting

#24 ·
I am also thinking of some auxillary lighting, but being that I am pretty new to the Challenger scene, where are you guys mounting switches so they do not look gawdy?

When I had my subaru it was easy as I had a ashtray to hid them in.

#28 ·
I can't tell if that is behind the lower grill or in front of it, or if the grill has been removed and the light bar is in its place... But if it is behind the lower grill yes, that's what I'd like to do.

#29 ·
I'm still working on a plan to mount a 24-36" LED bar behind the lower grille. No update as of yet, but it's on the back-burner. That, or some rally-style Hellas.

#30 ·
The one in the video appears to have removed the grille, which makes sense as most LED bars are quite deep in dimension due to heat dissipation fins behind it. I'm getting this done to my Challenger within the next month. I've already ordered the bar I'm going to use. I'm going out of town Monday and will be gone for a week. I'll follow up once it's done.

#32 ·
This is the bar I ordered:

https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_lights/amber_light_bar_amber_white_led_light_bar_315_inch_180w

I chose this one because my Challenger is header orange. This light bar lets me use just white or just amber (orange). Not bad that their products also have lifetime warranty.

For anyone wanting just white, i'd suggest this one:

Amazon.com: Autofeel 32 Inch 180w PHILIPS LED Light Bar Flood Spot Combo Beam ATV SUV UTE: Automotive

and the reason being based off of this review and the price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPW4_vIJf6A

I'm not affiliated with any of these people and none of the links contain any hidden money-making coding. :)

#33 ·
This is the bar I ordered:

https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_lights/amber_light_bar_amber_white_led_light_bar_315_inch_180w

I chose this one because my Challenger is header orange. This light bar lets me use just white or just amber (orange). Not bad that their products also have lifetime warranty.

For anyone wanting just white, i'd suggest this one:

Amazon.com: Autofeel 32 Inch 180w PHILIPS LED Light Bar Flood Spot Combo Beam ATV SUV UTE: Automotive

and the reason being based off of this review and the price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPW4_vIJf6A

I'm not affiliated with any of these people and none of the links contain any hidden money-making coding. :)
Any update? Did you ever get this installed behind your lower grill?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.