Challenger still around in 2016? - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70340SIXPACK View Post

Last year, Allpar posted news of the upcoming supercharged 6.2 Hemi engine; this news was later repeated by other sources. Allpar member “Mopar392″ wrote that the engine is apparently now listed in Chrysler’s internal database, as a supercharged engine with MDS (cylinder shutoff), destined for the LX family: LA, LC, LD, and LX. LC is the current Challenger, LX is 300, and LD is Charger. LA is the Challenger or Challenger replacement, which might be the much-rumored Barracuda (a story also reported early by Allpar sources).
“Mopar392″ also wrote that the 8-speed transmission (8HP70) is scheduled to make its way into all of the Hemi models on 2014 model-year vehicles — not a surprising relevation, since the Kokomo plant will, by then, have ramped up to full speed. The 6.2 is said to run around 500-550 horsepower (the 6.4 is currently peaking at around 475 hp), and once it’s out, a Mopar supercharger for the 392/6.4 is rumored.
Sources have previously said that the large car family’s replacements are due to start arriving in model-year 2015, led by the Barracuda or next-generation Challenger, with Charger following in 2016, but the actual dates are unclear. Complicating speculation is the imminent arrival of an Alfa Romeo on Chrysler’s large car platform — the current one, a future one, or a flex-manufacturing-compatible mix of the two is unknown. The goal is reportedly to have a single, versatile platform for large cars (front and rear wheel drive), minivans, crossovers, and possibly a “capable” SUV.
The new Barracuda that will replace the Challenger is a smaller car so then it won't be as comfortable riding as the current 116 wheelbase Challenger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:29 AM

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparOhio View Post
Yep, I just saw this update myself. Appears the story keeps changing doesn't it? I wish we knew what they are doing. I guess we wait for official word....
The current 2012 SRT-8 Challenger has a 5 spd. auto? Will it ever come with paddle shifters or a 6 spd. or 7 spd. automatic?
The automatics will outperform the 6 spd. manual off the line and on twisty roads?
#23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 02:04 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I think the "2014 refresh" of the Challenger is actually a refresh of the R/T and SE models with the use of the 8-speed transmission and some other minor tweaks. These models would continue through 2016.

I also think that the Jeep SRT, Charger SRT, 300 SRT, and Challenger SRT will all still retain the 6.4l engine continuing through 2015-2016. These vehicles would also receive refreshes with the 8-speed auto as the 5-speed is phased out (knowing when the parts contract ends would be helpful in determining this). SEMA 2012 will determine more on the fate of the 6.4l with modifications, kits, etc.

I think the SRT Barracuda will be added in 2014 as a SRT Challenger makeover vehicle as seen by evidence of the "2014 spy shot photo", in time for marketing to debut it as a 50th Anniversary SRT Barracuda with the 6.2l Supercharged Hemi and the second vehicle that the newly branded SRT group debuts. It would still use the same chassis as the LC platform, but be labeled as LA. It would also utilize the 8-speed auto and 6-speed manual. The LA would be a special edition vehicle and run through 2016.

In short, the SRT lineup would be
2012 300 SRT 6.4l
2012 Charger SRT 6.4l
2012 Jeep SRT 6.4l
2012 Challenger 6.4l
2013 SRT Viper GTS
2014 SRT Barracuda 6.2l SC

As for the new use of the new versatile Alfa Romeo platform, I think that will transition in 2016 once the LX/LC/LA platform ceases.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2015 376 cu-in SRT S/C Hellcat Torred (Tori 3.0) (ordered; BX)
2012 392 cu-in SRT8 Tungsten (IronMaiden) - 12.847 @ 109.89 mph
2010 370 cu-in SRT8 Torred (Tori 2.0)- 12.604 @ 112.11 mph (Spartan Cam) / 12.817 @ 110.05 mph
2009 345 cu-in R/T Torred (Tori 1.0) - 13.291 @ 103.67 mph

Bolt-On Mod Information
#24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzazoo View Post
I think the "2014 refresh" of the Challenger is actually a refresh of the R/T and SE models with the use of the 8-speed transmission and some other minor tweaks. These models would continue through 2016.

I also think that the Jeep SRT, Charger SRT, 300 SRT, and Challenger SRT will all still retain the 6.4l engine continuing through 2015-2016. These vehicles would also receive refreshes with the 8-speed auto as the 5-speed is phased out (knowing when the parts contract ends would be helpful in determining this). SEMA 2012 will determine more on the fate of the 6.4l with modifications, kits, etc.

I think the SRT Barracuda will be added in 2014 as a SRT Challenger makeover vehicle as seen by evidence of the "2014 spy shot photo", in time for marketing to debut it as a 50th Anniversary SRT Barracuda with the 6.2l Supercharged Hemi and the second vehicle that the newly branded SRT group debuts. It would still use the same chassis as the LC platform, but be labeled as LA. It would also utilize the 8-speed auto and 6-speed manual. The LA would be a special edition vehicle and run through 2016.

In short, the SRT lineup would be
2012 300 SRT 6.4l
2012 Charger SRT 6.4l
2012 Jeep SRT 6.4l
2012 Challenger 6.4l
2013 SRT Viper GTS
2014 SRT Barracuda 6.2l SC

As for the new use of the new versatile Alfa Romeo platform, I think that will transition in 2016 once the LX/LC/LA platform ceases.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
The thing to do is to get the last year Challenger with current body style because that 116 wheelbase will have a better comfortable ride than anything they downsize the Barracuda with.
#25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 02:59 PM
R.I.P. Fallen Member

I know everybody has their opinions concerning the refresh in 2014, hoping for this and hoping for that but I would like to make one valid point, maybe two.

For those who mentioned a singular headlamp system and Cuda like grille from a purely historical standpoint without the Hood, Quarters and Taillight treatment also changed to reflect a retro Cuda everyone who is into car collector Muscle Cars would be LAUGHING so hard at the bastard stepchild Dodge created.

With that said, All Challengers had dual headlights an open style grille Anything short of that then please discontinue the car ASAP. Otherwise make those changes I stated above correctly and make everyone happy.

But don't call it a Dodge Barracuda ... a Chrysler Barracuda would be more inline with the heritage of the Barracuda name due to Chrysler-Plymouth dealers of yore.
#26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 03:23 PM

Their isn't a single piece of information from a official source that Chrysler is going to put out a car with the Barracuda nameplate. Marchionne released a road map for all the brands a month ago (included Chrysler, Fiat, Maserati, etc). The Barracuda wasn't on it. The Challenger was and he said that the Challenger was going to be produced on the new (and smaller) platform along with the 300 and Charger. The Barracuda is all internet rumors.
#27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:22 PM

Garage
What are people paying for their SRT-392 $49,000 and 600+ per month with 15% down payment?
Now I see why there are more SXT v-6 cars around.
#28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 PM

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGNR View Post
Their isn't a single piece of information from a official source that Chrysler is going to put out a car with the Barracuda nameplate. Marchionne released a road map for all the brands a month ago (included Chrysler, Fiat, Maserati, etc). The Barracuda wasn't on it. The Challenger was and he said that the Challenger was going to be produced on the new (and smaller) platform along with the 300 and Charger. The Barracuda is all internet rumors.
But still it will be on a smaller wheelbase and not a smooth riding car.
#29 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 AM

I posted this on 7/16 on the future of fiat-chrysler.Below is a copy of the post. So I guess it going to really happen.There is a god 6.2 SC Challenger

I got news on the future of the Challenger yesterday while my car was being serviced.I spoke to the service manager which happens to be a big challenger srt8 fan and has one of the fastest srt8 here in Florida. He states this is stright from dodge. The next generation of the challenger will be offered in 2 variants. The 392 6.4 and a supercharged 6.2. I forgot what the h.p numbers are. I'm disabled and have a memory issue.But when he said SC 6.2 I said I gotta have this.

2013 Charger 392 SRT8 SUPERBEE,Mopar CAI,Tints,Diablo Intune,and exhaust coming soon.
#30 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 01:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda340 View Post
I found this interesting tidbit on allpar:

"Challenger is to run through model year 2015 or 2016 with minimal changes, while the new E-EVO platform is developed; the supercharged 6.2 Hemi is now thought to be arriving in 2013 or 2014. After that, Challenger’s fate is unknown."

This supports the Ralph Gilles' remark on Autoline that "the Challenger will not become irrelevant."
What will these cars cost? I can see why there are alot more SXT models than R/T or SRT. Those car payments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Dodge Challenger News & Polls > Dodge Challenger News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode