Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Dodge Challenger Spy Photos

19K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  04SRT4MAN 
#1 ·

It’s confirmed: the North American International Auto Show in Detroit will play host to the Challenger, Dodge’s 2-door venture into modern muscle. Based on the 1970s model of the original Challenger, this new vehicle is built on a short Chrysler 300/Dodge Magnum platform and offers up a fitting 6.1 liter Hemi mated to a 6-speed manual transmission.

Chrysler released a few derivations of the sketch we’ve all seen, of course, but AutoWeek has some bona fide spy shots worth taking a look at.

So here’s the question — will the Challenger be the PT Me Too to the Mustang? The Mustang has been an extraordinary star in the Ford lineup, exceeding all sales expectations — and it’s even a coupe. Has the Mustang captured all of the sales to be had for retro muscle? Or will we reserve that designation for the Chevy Camaro should it ever make its way to the streets of Detroit?

Via: Autoblog

Photos via Autoweek: http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103629

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm hoping they keep the look but use the v-shape at the front of the hood that is pronounced in the sketch. The 1970 Challenger is my favorite year for the front and the rear deck. By receding the grill the way they did then it just looked mean. With a slight v shape at the tip of the hood, grill and bumper this would look just as menacing.

#3 ·
sorbs said:
I'm hoping they keep the look but use the v-shape at the front of the hood that is pronounced in the sketch. The 1970 Challenger is my favorite year for the front and the rear deck. By receding the grill the way they did then it just looked mean. With a slight v shape at the tip of the hood, grill and bumper this would look just as menacing.
Couldn't agree with you more, sorbs! Keep'em retro..it's gonna be the 'performance' trend!

Reactions: Rambit
#8 ·
black05hemiC said:
my question is... what model year will it be? and more importantly when can i order one and where do i sign?
Earliest date I have read about is '07 model. Makes more sense to me rather than '08/'09 simply due to the retro and musclecar reaction from the car buying population. I also hope that is the case for me!

#9 ·
smkn300 said:
For some reason this car makes me think of the Cuda, more than the Challenger, front grille maybe?
Yeah, the thicker front does indicate Cuda to me too. The actual spy shot looked like a 50/50 mix of Cuda and Challenger. Since there is no more Plymouth, a little mix would be both nice and nostalgic.

#14 ·
smkn300 said:
Thanks for the pic!! :D
I think I like that better than the Challenger but is it for real? When will that go into production? And since the Cuda is supposed to be a step up from the Challenger, any guesses as to power plant?
But are they going to resurrect a Plymouth brand name like 'Cuda when Plymouth no longer exists? Anyone heard...will probably leave whatever as a Dodge name...Challenger. Probably why, at least I see, there are some cue's from both in the concept.

#16 ·
Mr.DJ said:
Who knows, maybe the 392 just might be wearing the 'Cuda' badging as a 'limited edition' model? ;)
They need to give all of us a job in the Dodge 'Think Tank'! I'm up for it.:D

#18 ·
artimishoke said:
So I guess a remake of the 1971 movie "Vanishing Point" should be out in '08 if the new Challenger hits showroom floors in '07

If you've never seen the original movie... you'd better run out to Blockbuster
Love that movie....a cult classic. Haven't seen it in a couple years, but EasyRider was on last weekend.

#19 ·
artimishoke said:
So I guess a remake of the 1971 movie "Vanishing Point" should be out in '08 if the new Challenger hits showroom floors in '07

If you've never seen the original movie... you'd better run out to Blockbuster
Hey, sounds like a possible new role for maybe...Vin Diesel, Nicolas Cage, ___________? Heck, I'll even volunteer to play the part of the disc-jockey. :D

#20 ·
HIGH_HEMI said:
Love that movie....a cult classic. Haven't seen it in a couple years, but EasyRider was on last weekend.
The acting was not the high point of the movie, but I suffer through it just to watch the car do its thing. By the way... how many jobs did Kowalski NOT have prior to his car transport gig???

On the easyrider subject: imagine a remake of that, but using the original actors (Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, and of course Jack Nicholson)... I guess you could file that one in the comedy section

#22 ·
artimishoke said:
The acting was not the high point of the movie, but I suffer through it just to watch the car do its thing. By the way... how many jobs did Kowalski NOT have prior to his car transport gig???

On the easyrider subject: imagine a remake of that, but using the original actors (Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, and of course Jack Nicholson)... I guess you could file that one in the comedy section
For sure, and you would have to put a 'fat tire' kit on the back of Captain America for Nicholson! :eek:

#25 ·
artimishoke said:

In 1970, on I-20 in Decatur outside Atlanta the police put up 2 city buses across the interstate to stop a guy they were chasing. Man, he plowed right into them and he as hauling butt. Saw it on the news, but heard the crash..we lived right off the expressway on Chandler Rd where they did it. Highway surface was a mess for about a week.

#26 ·
Someone mentioned that they hope it stays a two door like they wishd the Charger would have been. Think about it, the Concept is on a shortened LX platform. When the Charger came out, a different chassis base would have been a big cost and a gamble. With the success of the LX platform and that a lot of their investment is paid back, it may be time to consider that shortened chassis. If they do.............. How hard would it be to drop a 2 door version of the 300 and Charger on that new chassis? Hmmmm...................................

MrMoPar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.