Dodge Challenger Forum banner

More details about the Dodge Challenger

25K views 37 replies 28 participants last post by  Sheekaj29 
#1 · (Edited)

If we told you where we heard it, we’d have to kill you. We’ve scrounged up some more details on the Dodge Challenger concept to be unveiled in Detroit this January, and we’re pleased to report that the vehicle will be a delicious blend of old and new, with a four-gauge instrument panel and an abundance of carbon fiber, along with the previously reported pistol-grip shifter. The four-gauge instrument panel and pistol-grip shifter were trademarks of the original Challenger models.

Oh, and lest you worry your pretty little heads, it’s been confirmed that we should expect some mad horsepower.

Via: http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000800071254/

See less See more
#6 ·
What will the rated horsepower be of the 500? Weight also? Are the thoughts out there that they will be 'competitive' in those areas?:cool:

#10 ·
too_loud4u said:
i'm not sure it would be right if they just started bringing back all these older names. don't get me wrong i like the charger and the maybe challenger, but a cuda too. i dont think they should.
I kinda agree with ya. They keep bringing all of them back, well, that takes time and I ain't gettin' any younger!

#18 · (Edited)
Well,here it goes,my first post. As I've been in hibernation for a long time, not on any particular forum,as I have not yet really seen any "New" true American muscle car in styling and performance, that I have really cared for,other than maybe the new shelby gt-500 mustang coming out........ UNTIL NOW!! Enter,(I pray that they make this) the new super cool lookin', pavement poundin', terror on wheels...the new Hemi Challenger(hopefully a 6.4L version). I can truly say, that this is the type of car I have been waiting for from one of the Big 3 for a long,long time.Its almost too good to be true!! Welcome everyone,as I feel great to be part of you guys with this new great forum on .......The New Challenger....YES!!:cool: John

#19 ·
Srt4Bryan said:
Its about time dodge gets into the muscle car segment again, i hated the fact that they just reskinned a 300c and called it a charger. but it looks like they are doing it right for the challenger.
Yeah it was so much cooler when they reskinned a Coronet and called it a Charger, then reskinned a Chrysler Cordoba and called it a Charger, and when they reskinned a K-car and called it a Charger. Those were REAL Chargers, this new 350 HP beast is just a reskinned Chrysler. Let's all hate on it.

#22 · (Edited)
More Details About The 'New' Dodge 'Challenger' (courtesy of www.autobytel.com)

Future Cars: Dodge Challenger DaimlerChrysler revives another legend by Christian Wardlaw Introduction​

Check out this blast from the past. Dodge is not blind to the success of Ford’s retro-mod Mustang, and is rolling this Challenger Concept out for the press and public at this January’s 2006 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Flush with confidence after the recent successes of the Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum, and Dodge Charger, DaimlerChrysler is ready to tackle America’s favorite pony-car, the Mustang, in a new 21st century muscle-car war. Styling cues are lifted straight off the original 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T, with round quad headlamps, circular fog lights mounted beneath a minimalist bumper where the classic had turn signals, amber side marker lights placed just beneath a crease in the fender that stretches to the rear of the car and mimics the first Challenger, and twin hood scoops separated by a matte-black racing stripe. Even the greenhouse and mirrors resemble the original – all that’s missing are chrome hood clips and a wire mesh grille. Those massive six-spoke alloy wheels, however, belie the modern mechanicals underneath the bodywork. Chrysler’s Street and Racing Technology (SRT) team has breathed on this concept, which has the same 6.1-liter Hemi V8 under the hood as found in hot-rodded versions of the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Dodge Magnum, and Jeep Grand Cherokee. A six-speed transmission puts the power to the rear wheels through a piston-grip shifter that recalls the original Challenger, and the driver sits on a ribbed black upholstery – though in this concept it’s leather instead of yesteryear’s vinyl. The Dodge Challenger Concept sits on a modified 300/Charger/Magnum platform, and could easily be produced. Given Chrysler’s past propensity to put concept cars on an assembly line – Viper, PT Cruiser, Caliber, Nitro – it’s likely that a slightly modified version of this Challenger could land in Dodge showrooms by 2008, with engines ranging from a 3.5-liter V6 making around 250 horsepower to the concept car’s 425-horse, ground-pounding, 6.1-liter Hemi.

Photo: Illustration by DaimlerChrysler

About Christian Wardlaw

Christian Wardlaw joined the Automotive Information Center (AIC) in January 2003, managing content development for AIC and the Autosite consumer website. Previously, Christian served as Editor-in-Chief and Director of Automotive Data for Edmunds.com. A writer, editor, and automobile aficionado, Christian is a different sort of car enthusiast. His passion lies in the vehicles that people most often buy, rather than with high-performance sports cars or ultra-luxury sedans. “Given the choice to spend an hour with a Dodge Viper or a Honda Accord, I’ll choose the Accord,” he claims. Unless, of course, the driving venue is a racetrack. Christian has been a car enthusiast all of his life, uttering “car” as his first word while growing up in Detroit. A graduate of Western Michigan University, he holds a bachelor’s degree in English. His daily driver is a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata.

#23 ·
Dutch said:
Yeah it was so much cooler when they reskinned a Coronet and called it a Charger, then reskinned a Chrysler Cordoba and called it a Charger, and when they reskinned a K-car and called it a Charger. Those were REAL Chargers, this new 350 HP beast is just a reskinned Chrysler. Let's all hate on it.
Sorry, I just don't think the new Charger is a *real* Charger. It's a really nice, fast family sedan, but not a Charger. The 80's Charger wasn't the real thing either. If I were to choose a family sedan though, the Charger would still be one of my top choices.

#26 ·
V Point said:
The Charger is a great car! I just think they should have named it something else. Fury would have been a great name, Fury, Fury VIP, Sport Fury and the Sport Fury GT.
I would have resurrected "Monaco". Its not a bad name. But the name being clamored for was "Charger". So they did something and called it "Charger". Oh well...

On the other hand, the new Challenger is a... CHALLENGER! Thank goodness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.