Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/)
-   Dodge Challenger News (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   SRT Boss Wants Performance Diesels (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f2/srt-boss-wants-performance-diesels-79334/)

AutoGuide.com 05-29-2012 09:33 AM

SRT Boss Wants Performance Diesels

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/w.../SRT-Badge.jpg

Quote:

Diesel is quickly becoming a new option for car makers looking to have powerful, yet fuel friendly engines. Mercedes and BMW’s AMG and M, in house tuning divisions have announced future diesel vehicles catered for performance driving, and it looks like the SRT brand will be offering its own in the future.

This comes from a tweet this morning from SRT CEO, Ralph Gilles, who responded to a fan’s inquiry of a possible SRT vehicle to compete against the performance oriented diesels offered in Europe.

Gilles responded by saying, “I am a fan, We would cut our teeth in Europe first” which likely means that a SRT diesel will first debut for the European market.

SRT offers performance tuned vehicles based on Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge products, so it’ll be interesting to see what vehicle they decide to outfit with a diesel engine. There is already a diesel Grand Cherokee available in international markets, so tuning it for more performance (like the gas powered Grand Cherokee SRT8 available here) is a likely possibility.

We’ve reached out to SRT to see if there are an official word on upcoming diesel SRT vehicles.
Read the full SRT Diesel story on AutoGuide.com

GSMC 05-31-2012 11:46 AM

:no: I think they need to step away from the crack pipe....anyone notice the cost of diesel??

Sorry if that was too blunt, but the cost per gallon of diesel pretty much offsets any real savings of the better milage you'll see from owning one..

gr8srt8 05-31-2012 11:55 AM

Those Europeans!!!! :eyemouth:

Quarterpound 05-31-2012 12:54 PM

Diesel is cheaper than 91 octane at every gas station in my area. Some are cheaper than 89 octane, too.

GSMC 05-31-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quarterpound (Post 1086122)
Diesel is cheaper than 91 octane at every gas station in my area. Some are cheaper than 89 octane, too.

Funny...looking at 91 octane gas vs diesel in my area right now on Gas Buddy...368.9 for 91 midgrade, 3.79.9 for deisel.

More expensive or equal to premium at most stations....

waumo 05-31-2012 03:33 PM

Diesel is always more than 93 premium in my area unless you are buying off road diesel.

If he wants a SRT Diesel, he should build a SRT Truck and a big one.

MisterScott 05-31-2012 04:24 PM

Diesel is more expensive that any gas grade here. The bigger issue is squeezing that performance out of diesels and still have it be Tier III compliant (2014 I think). DPF's, EGR's. EGR Coolers, Urea Injection and Diesel injection systems have been the bane of Ford, Dodge and Chevy on the HD trucks since 2007.5 A lot of owners hit really big bumps and that stuff falls right off. There are serious concerns in the diesel community about longevity of the engines with all the emission stuff on it.

MZACC 06-01-2012 03:58 AM

All Wheel Drive!

Diesel would be great, but let's talk about other performance options:

I sold my 2009 RT Challenger custom convertible in favor of a 2012 Audi A5 convertible. Why? ALL-WHEEL DRIVE

The Chrysler 300 has an All-Wheel Drive option, so why doesn't the Charger and Challenger? They all share the same chassis. I never dreamed of driving my Challenger in the snow and my buddy just about wiped out his 2012 Charger with just a sprinkle of snow on the ground.

Motor Trend said that the Corvette was virtually impossible to drive in the snow, but the Porshe was just fine. Do the Northern US states get less snow than Central and Northern Europe? Let's see it for the remaining Challenger years as I wait patiently for the SRT 'Cuda replacement!

Robe81 06-04-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MZACC (Post 1086608)
Diesel would be great, but let's talk about other performance options:

I sold my 2009 RT Challenger custom convertible in favor of a 2012 Audi A5 convertible. Why? ALL-WHEEL DRIVE

The Chrysler 300 has an All-Wheel Drive option, so why doesn't the Charger and Challenger? They all share the same chassis. I never dreamed of driving my Challenger in the snow and my buddy just about wiped out his 2012 Charger with just a sprinkle of snow on the ground.
!

It is available in the Charger. We had one. Slap some Blizzaks on it and it handled far better than my Z71 or my Jeep did. Problem was seeing over the huge snow banks everywhere.

jsd512 06-05-2012 10:11 PM

IMO, performance diesels are not cool.