Dodge Challenger Forum banner

15r/t + alpine sg1 NEW AUDIO SYSTEM list

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Kapt 
#1 ·
Hows everybody doing. I've looked over a lot of threads on audio upgrades here and this is what I've come up with.

Perhaps you kindly gentlemen can let me know if I need to purchase anything else to install in my 15 while retaining the FULL FUNCTIONALITY of my 8.4N system. I've got the super track pack and like all the bells and whistles so I'd like to avoid getting rid of them..

Here is a screenshot of what I'm looking to get. Itemized list below. Please let me know if I'm missing anything

Infinity Basslink 200-Watt, Dual 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer System (Black)
AudioControl LC2I 2-Channel Line Out Converter and Subwoofer Control
Infinity REF-6502ix 2-Way Reference-X Series Coaxial Speakers with Edge Driven Tweeters, Set of 2
Infinity Reference X REF-9602ix 6"x9" 2-way car speakers by Infinity
Infinity Reference 3002CFX 3-1/2" Two Way Car LoudSpeakers by Infinity

Additionally if anyone from Chicagoland area knows a reputable place that could install all this I'd love to hear about it. I won't be able to do this work myself.

The powered sub in the trunk.. now will that move around? I like to corner aggressively on occasion and don't need a new investment flying across my trunk!

Thanks so much for taking any time to read this and help me out. I greatly appreciate it. Beers on me! :grin2:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
If you have read the link of people who have already done upgrades, the door and cowl speakers are pretty much straight forward. Most seam to prefer Infinity speakers. As to the sub and line out wiring, again that is what most have done, though I am not sure where they are tapping the line out, guessing at the rear deck speakers. The rear deck speakers look to be a little harder on the install, but still not too bad.

I have the SGII but I plan to basically upgrade every speaker at some point. I am not sure what direction I may go with the sub.

#4 ·
I think i read in one thread people tapped into the power line for the rear defroster. Not sure. I won't be doing the install myself so I'm not too concerned about it. I just wish there were more people modding their audio so I know what all speakers actually fit in the housing. THe infinity references seem cheap in price but are supposedly really good. I don't really have a budget so I'd like to get something more mid-higher end but I don't even know what my options would be.

Guess these are the frustrations that come with buying such a new car hm

#5 ·
having done some audio upgrades on past vehicles, I know that most Infinity products are very good bang for your buck. Their speakers are more "sensitive" and therefore require less power to deliver more sound. compared to someone like Focal - they are not that great. But keep in mind higher end models need a LOT of power driving them. I have always been pleasantly surprised by the Infinity products I installed.

#6 ·
That's good to hear. I like to be able to have my music pretty loud and unfortunately one of my factory speakers already has a bit of muffling or paper sound going on now after a couple minutes at max vol. Hopefully the newer speakers can withstand a little bit more abuse at lower levels.

#7 ·
Just gonna throw an e-mail response I got from a local shop. I don't know if this guy just has trouble listening or doesn't get what I'm saying but I keep telling him I need to retain full functionality of my nav unit. Am I correct in my assumption that in order to do this I can't really have a head unit or new amp added? I can basically just add a sub with a line out converter and replace speakers, correct?

"Thank you for providing the information, that helps quite a bit. I do believe the equipment that you were looking at would accomplish most of that goal you had in mind, for most vehicles. However, given that you already have an upgraded audio package, that might not be the case. In this particular situation, the most likely outcome will probably be either a slight improvement, or possibly even a little worse sounding. It might not be the best return on investment.

Now just to clarify, the equipment isn't bad quality, or poor performance. But just replacing speakers, and not adding more power typically won't get you more loudness. The best case scenario is that you might get some improved clarity. The concern is that you already have a premium upgrade of speakers, that are amplified and designed and placed specifically to get the most of them in your vehicle. Also, that subwoofer is great addition to a base audio system, or a vehicle that doesn't have a subwoofer or premium audio. In my experience, that's a perfect subwoofer to supplement a system that has virtually no bass or very little. If you're looking to add some actual power to the low end bass, that might not be the ideal solution. And finally, one of the set of speakers you were looking at, the 6.5's, might not be the right fit. Most of the databases that I have found for your vehicle list 6x9 speakers both front and back. As far as speakers specifically fitting in there, that we wouldn't know off hand, but we typically fabricate any adapters needed to fit new speakers that we install if they don't fit directly. In today's day and age, that is almost always the case.

In order for you to achieve the goal desired, the best solution would be to install a higher caliber of speakers, with proper sound deadening treatment, a larger subwoofer, and a larger amplifier that would send the appropriate power to both the speakers and the subwoofer. Also, another big factory, being the Alpine audio package, it will be more than likely need to do some more advanced audio integration. This will compensate for any time alignment, crossover points and equalization that is happening with the stock audio system. In order to correct this, we typically use an audio processor for the new equipment. This allows us to get the best sound from the new system. Now there is some flexibility within this recommendation. You can replace all speakers like intended, or you can redirect your intended funds from all speakers invest them into a better front stage.

For example, a good sounding system could be a set of components in the front, sound deadening, a 4 channel amplifier, a subwoofer and a processor. With the proper equipment selection, and proper installation, this would get you more clarity, a louder sounding system and a better low end bass response. Another option would be to upgrade all of the speakers, with sound deadening as well, using the same subwoofer and processor, but this time adding 2 amplifiers, a 4 channel dedicated to the interior speakers and a mono amplifier dedicated for the subwoofer. If desired, this option allows for a higher powered subwoofer for an even better bass response.

Let us know if we've addressed all of your concerns and if this is a route you would be interested in going with. We can arrange a consultation to make sure you get the best possible package for your vehicle, that will meet your needs, and wants."

#8 ·
If you want more power output, simply replacing the speakers and adding a sub won't do it.
If you were to install speakers with a lower impedance rating than the stock speakers , you may get more sound output but you will also put more of
A load on your stock amp. Which may not be a good thing as it will likely run hotter than normal.
I would suggest the two amp setup they recommend, 1 mono amp for sub and 1 multichannel amp for the cabin speakers.
Most newer amps can accept a speaker level input connection so you can use the exsisting speaker wire connections from your trunk speakers to feed the signal to your new amps. This will allow you to keep your factory head unit. But you will have to run new speaker wires from those amps to the new speakers. A processor doesn't hurt but not completely necessary either.
I would highly recommend if you are not comfortable with messing with your existing stereo to have a professional install it for you.
As for the sub unless it is big enough to wedge in place then you should use the mounting brackets it should come with. Otherwise it will move around.

#9 ·
Thanks for the input. I definitely am having this system professionally installed as I will be having a few gauge lighting changes done on install day as well. I'd like to get it all knocked out at once...

So with what you are suggesting is that I keep my stock speakers? And then have the amps wired from the rear speaker wiring?

#11 ·
I did all that changing and adding amps. Here's what I did. Pulled the extra four channel amp back out of the car. Upgraded all the main speakers, center channel and the 3.5's in the rear are still stock. Sounds much better. I unhooked the factory sub because it is worthless. I tried tapping into that for my subs and it sounds HORRIBLE!!!! So I tapped into the rear speakers with an LC2i converter. I robbed power for that from the fuse box in the trunk. Use the lighter circuit, it's switched. I added a sub amp and two 12's with an external bass control so I can blend the bass with the rest of the sound. My results?

With the front part of the four channel amp and the converters used to sum the signal for the front, and the rear speakers connected to the other end of the four channel amp, plus the subs and sub amp, it sounded pretty clean. However, the equalizer didn't change the sound anymore. I ran it this way for a while. Decided that I really didn't like it, so I removed the four channel and all the extra crap that goes with it

With the upgraded speakers, Punch 6.5's in the doors, Punch 6.5 three ways in the rear, and Infinity 3.5's in the dash, using the factory amp plus a sub amp and subs in my opinion sounds much much better! Everything does what it was intended to do, and things like the blind spot censors work better as well. Save your money on extra amps. Upgrade your speakers and add subs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.