Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2015 Challengers

126K views 657 replies 56 participants last post by  Fowltactikz 
#1 ·
Uconnect radios

#2 ·
Hey guys, since I got my 2015 challenger in Aug, the dealers and Uconnect support claimed that the radios were not interchangeable and you couldn't upgrade your radio from the 5.0/RA2 to either 8.4AN4 or 3. There were saying that it would not work but never said why! I thought that was ridiculous because if you can upgrade from the dealer and get those radios when you buy the car, then why can't you upgrade after you leave the dealerships? They were saying the climate controls wont work and so on.....but here's the deal, I might not be a mechanic but I do know computers. And I do know that the computer inside the car will pick up the new radio, reconfigure it and it will work on that car......so, I finally said go with what I know about computers and ordered the 8.4A RA3 from OEMAutopartsco.com. ....I plugged it in, put in the unlock code. It started to reconfigure and within 1 min my radio was working perfectly! No problems. All of my functions worked. The radio sounded fantastic. The only problem that we have with changing from the 5.0 to any of the other radios is that since this is the first year with this car, the radio mounting bracket is smaller and the dealer claims that they don't even have them in there computers. But that was ok for me because after looking all thought the internet, I couldn't find anything. So, what I did was use the old mount and where the screws didn't line up, I used 4 10inch plastic zip ties to lock in each corner. Everything fit perfectly! And when ever they do come out with correct mounting bracket I will change it.....or maybe I won't......its in there, its secure and it sounds fanfreakintastic.
Here are some or the pictures

#37 ·
This is great news. One more question. Does the center console USB/SD hub works with this radio? I spoke with OEMAutopartsco and they told me that I would loose that functionality. Just checking before I pull the trigger on this one. Thanks.:grin2:

#7 ·
Nice job. If they ever come out with a proper mount, I wouldn't bother, if it really is secure and doesn't bounce around back there.

#9 ·
I asked about this and nobody was sure about it. Glad to see that you took the chance and it worked out.
Does this enable you to use the navigation or Performance Pages? Do all the wiring terminal plugs fit the same? How about the other settings and functions such as power steering settings, guage settings and such?

#464 ·
Kerm Dog. ...I don't know if I ever answered you back about the navigation and pages.....well I got RA3 upgraded with Nav and everything is great. I also got my sport button back. And being that I have the base model, I didn't have the performance pages. But everything else is 10-4

#11 ·
Kerm Dog, I didn't get RA4. I got the RA3, but I can get a navigation upgrade downloaded from the dealer for, I think $500. But all of the other stuff works fine. Go the the website that I put on post earlier. It will give you guys all of the info that you need. And no, I'm not part of that company....lol... I just like sharing the info that I get

#14 ·
So, now my baby is complete...I upgraded the wheels, added a spoiler, tinted the windows, changed the speakers, added a Kicker Amp, added a Clairon EQ, added my own decals and a few other bells and whistles to The Grey Ghost......take a look.

Attachments

#15 ·
I think I seen you on Columbus ave, near the cross county parkway a few months ago.

#17 ·
I kinda figured. How many grey 2015 Challengers with a strep that says grey ghost could there be. Lol. That was the first 2015 I have seen on the road.

#32 ·
Sorry, didn't see this question. No I have the stock, base radio in my Challenger.

#20 ·
Volume Knob

Can you confirm the volume knob and the Seek/Tuner Knob works without the need for steering wheel controls? I know that was an issue others ran into when trying to do this with the Ram trucks. Plus did you gain access to the performance screens of the car as well.
Thanks for being brave enough to try this out!

#24 ·
Oh yeah, because if you ask the dealer, they will tell you that you cannot upgrade your radio once you leave the dealership. Which is the stupidest thing that Ive ever heard in my life and if we could the radio would cost somewhere in the range of $1800. Well being that I'm computer literate, I knew the radio was the same radio that you got if you would have upgraded from the beginning, and it would configure to the on board computer of the car. But they said no.....yeah right! Just want you to spend more money at the dealership.....well I got mine from OEMAUTOPARTSCO and everything is on the up and up

#26 ·
Nice! I am giving thought to the system with NAV. Right now I have my Android suction cupped to my windshield for NAV and easy access to Pandora streamed through the 5.0 system. It would be nice to hide my phone in the center console.

I figured the computer in the car would be smart enough to configure with the new unit, but after reading several thread saying "this and that" didn't work without a lot of modification I didn't think it was worth the effort.

#27 ·
That was a load of crap! I'm loving the sound and the look of this system. And you can have nav added to this system either though the dealer or another company. And remember, I changed my speakers and added a amp and this thing sounds freakin fantastic!....let me know if you need help on it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.