Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2016 Challenger Sound System Build

7K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  acmaddox0825 
#1 ·
stay tuned kiddies [emoji16]

My girlfriend is going to a family reunion this weekend so I figured this would be a good time to knock this one out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
It went well, took a little longer than I thought and I'm still tuning it. Make sure you get a loc with an Eq, the factory radio has this NASTY Eq spike in the mids that will cause your speaker to distort terribly. I got the DQ61 and was able to eq it out. I honestly thought I had gotten a bad speaker at 1st.

#5 ·
how involved was swapping the door speakers out? I'm thinking about replacing the 6x9"s myself. I added a sub but the mids still sound horrible with the bass turned almost all the way down.

#6 ·

I'm currently in the process of tuning. It's kind of a tricky situation with the DQ61. Pulling the signal from the amp and summing it and getting a clean signal. But the eq sounds really good , my only gripe is that I wish the eq went a little lower on the speaker channels, but other than that I'm pretty pleased with it...

#7 ·
Yeah if you want better tuning capabilities your going to need a full digital sound processor with 32 bands eq. Those range in price from $550-$950. With the HK system, these is way to much equalization going on with that amp. You can get away with a DQ-61 on the boston or alpine 6 and 8 speaker system. Not to much with the HK.

#8 ·
Sound wise I think I'm where I want to be. I'm using kicker ks65s componets and they get pretty low and sound really warm. I boosted the high mids a bit to give it some "air". One thing if you're going this route: you'll have to set the gains REALLY low on the dq61 to get a GOOD clean signal.

Now I just have to figure out how to stop this popping when I shut off the car. It's not bad, but it's noticeable enough for me to cringe lol.

#9 ·
I decided to go all in on the bass for this one.

Better to have more than enough than not enough.

Something to note, no matter how much power you're running, if you're running subs s bass knob is a MUST. The beautiful thing about the dq61 is that the included knob doubles as a bass knob. The eq in the OEM head unit should only be used for the speakers, and even then some of the frequency points on the factory eq are nasty ( I only like the mids, but even those are...rough) rely on the eq of the Dq61 to tune your sub.

I have the track pack with performance pages so I can monitor the voltage, and even with 1200 watts and songs with strong bass the voltage has never dropped below 13 volts. I don't expect any type of dimming issues even years from now.

#10 ·
Major Update:

After a few days of tinkering with th dq61 and my eq setting I became really frusted because there was this distortion that I couldn't get rid of in the lower mids. I tried everything, I took out the speakers to see if they were busted, went over my wiring over and over again, nothing worked...

Until, I separated the signals coming from the dash speakers and the signal coming from the door speakers, and BOOM a clean FULL RANGE signal from the dash speakers. No distortion. I took the signal from the door speakers and used that for my sub signal. Everything is flawless now!

I know there are threads on this forum that say the signal from the dash speakers aren't full range, but they are.

#12 ·
Naw, I didn't have the right tool to tokay out the dash speakers and its pretty hot and muggy here in Georgia. Trying to install a system in the summer her without a garage is brutal. Right now I have the speakers set up component style, the imaging could be better, but it helps tremendously that the OEM baffles actually aim the speakers toward your head, so I'm pretty content until the weather cools down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.