Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Aftermarket sound system

20K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Stainlessman 
#1 ·
So, I recently got my '15 Challenger SRT, and I love it, except the sound system, the Harmon Kardon system is horrible, the cabin speakers let out a very piercing and metallic sound for most of my songs (metal and such), and the subs sound blow out, but according to the dealership, they aren't at all and "are on par with comparable models". And yes, I do have the updates for it that was supposed to fix it. Did I just get bad luck? Or is this just what the system is. Regardless, what systems would you guys recommend to replace this? My budget for it is very lenient on that end, so just throw them all at me, thanks in advance!

#7 ·
All you really need is if you want to have great sound and stock appearance. you dont need to replace every HK speaker. IMO you only need front stage and sub in the rear of coupes. But you can add rear fill speakers if you like but not necessary. HK oem system is crap. all oem systems usually use 4 signals out from headunit to the amplifier/DSP. Out from there to their daisy chain speakers for audio system. Oem system uses 8, 12, 15, 18 ect... speakers to compensate for their under powered system. Then they process the hell out of the small power amplifier. Reason the amplifier upgrade is necessary to get better sound. Not only do I just replace these inferior system in the car, I would install sound deadening in the door skin and door card to control unwanted noise. No matter if you install $1k set of components or a $400 set, if the install and tuning is sub-par, then the system going to sound like crap. good installer and good equipment is key.

All you really need is if you want to have great sound and stock appearance

3.5" midrange/tweeter drivers $ 200-$500)
6x9 mid bass drivers ( sound deaden doors skin and door card when install door speakers) ($340- $620)
10" or 12" subwoofer in the rear (sound deaden trunk lid) ($135.00- $450)
stealth enclosure for the sub ( $350-$600
4 ch or 6ch amp with or without dsp (600-1200 watts) ($400-1200)
sound deadening material ( $80-$150)
call it a day

#14 ·
I use hybrid audio speakers. They are a higher end brand. They are the top audio sound quality brand that wins and shows well in Sq competitions. I use their unity series speakers u3 3.7" in the dash and their 6x9 unity u69 mid woofers in the doors

HAT U3 3.7" pair $199.99
HAT U69 6X9 Pair $339.99

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6345010

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I use hybrid audio speakers. They are a higher end brand. They are the top audio sound quality brand that wins and shows well in Sq competitions. I use their unity series speakers u3 3.7" in the dash and their 6x9 unity u69 mid woofers in the doors

HAT U3 3.7" pair $199.99
HAT U69 6X9 Pair $339.99

2011 Challenger 6 speaker Boston Acoustics Audio Upgrade - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Definitely in my price range, i'm gonna go for those, what about for the 10" subs and the amp? What do you have/recommend?

#16 · (Edited)
I don't recommend replacing the HK subs and enclosure. I would do away with it. I would do a stealth enclosure like the one I built for my car. It's on the driver side and I can still get to the spare tire area. Right now I'm using a image dynamics ID 12" sub. Handles a good 500watts. And I use a mini image dynamics mini amp that I built in the enclosure for quick removal. The next step up would be the IDQ sub which is around $230 but sounds much better and handle more power. The hybrid Audio sub if you want to stay with thay brand is the 10" or 12" clarus sub. But are expensive $350 for 10" $450 for 12"But I will be updating to the helix p six 6ch amplifier with built in 8ch processor. That unit is $1300. Here is link to enclosure build

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477345

#17 ·
^ AGREE!

I have the Sound Group II and simply disconnected the rear panel subs and went with the JL Stealthbox and sub amp ($2300+). All else is stock. Love the system. Serious boom-boom!!!

Do NOT waste your money and replace the subs in the HK located in the wheelwell. No matter what you throw in there, the non-seal plastic housing is not going to give you decent base. Instead, have a sealed housing made or consider the JL Stealthbox.

Attachments

#18 ·
I had a custom box made to go in the drivers side of the trunk as well. I wasn't looking to spend JL stealthbox money and this came out perfect for what I was looking for. JL 10W1 2 ohm sub mated to a JX 250 amp mounted in the spare tire well. Nice tight bass. Next up is getting rid of the horrible 6x9's in the door!

#21 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I do like that custom install by Doc Fluty, and also that sub enclosure in boosted's trunk. I will likely build a similar sub enclosure, but probably recess the sub so the grill is flush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.