Broken aux port - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Audio, Video and other Car Electronics Anything that pertains to the interior electronics modifications such as stereos, A/V, lighting...not exclusive to the Challenger please feel free to share

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Broken aux port

Hello all,

Some time ago, my aux port stopped working. I play music from my ipod in it as many of you probably do too. I think it was broken when I dragged my backpack across the middle (from passenger to myself, getting out of the car) and it dragged against the auxilliary cord, jarring the insides of the aux port, if you follow me. I believe that to be the cause, but I could be wrong. Either way, the aux port no longer works with an aux cord, except when I jam it in and twist a bit, even then I have to hold it hard in place.

My question in all of this is where would you guys go to get it replaced? Am I looking at a full stereo piece replacement?

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you want the AUX back your easiest option is going to be replacing it. The cheapest option would be to open it up, locate the damage and solder it, but that can be intimidating. I'm not sure if a dealership would do this sort of repair, unless it was under the table with a handy technician. An electronics repair shop might be able to do this for you for....maybe $50? The plug is just loose. It's an easy fix if you're looking at it, but getting into the head unit might be tricky.

2011 Toxic Orange R/T Classic Auto
Performance Mods: Diablo inTune I1000-DCX
Audio Mods: Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS, HelixDSP, Zed Audio Leviathan III, Dynaudio Esotec 362 (active), Zed Audio Minotaur II, 2x JL Audio 12w6v2s (sealed ~2.8 cu ft)
#3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceri View Post
If you want the AUX back your easiest option is going to be replacing it. The cheapest option would be to open it up, locate the damage and solder it, but that can be intimidating. I'm not sure if a dealership would do this sort of repair, unless it was under the table with a handy technician. An electronics repair shop might be able to do this for you for....maybe $50? The plug is just loose. It's an easy fix if you're looking at it, but getting into the head unit might be tricky.
I like the idea of doing it myself but it might be a little beyond me. I wouldn't mind shelling out some money for a job well done. Where would I go to get it fixed or replaced?
#4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 04:05 PM

If you were local, I could attempt it, to open and fix. Which system is in yours?

2012 Challenger 220, SXT Blackberry Pearl, Diablo I1000, FM 73/80mm.
2004 Ram 2wd 1500 345, lightly mod'd, 9" lift, FM 84mmTB
1999 Durango 4wd 360, mod'd and minor 2" lift, FM 50mmTB
not forgotten, 1993 Dakota 4wd, 318, heavily mod'd and 12" lift
#5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 04:49 PM

have you tried a new aux cord .... maybe its your cord .... mine was doing that if i twist n jam it it would work but then got a new cord and viola it was the cord

Eibach Lowering springs,Mopars upgraded front and rear sway bars ,Mopar front strut tower bar, RazorsEdge rearstrut tower bar ,LMI fendermount CAI, Pred. 93 tune , functional scoops , Kooks headers , Kooks highflow cats, MBRP Catback, 180 TT, 87mm MM Throtlebody(polished) ,Moroso Billet Rad. res. and power steering tank , Moroso CC with drain..aero force guages, dual guage pod

2008 Dodge Sprinter
2010 Challenger R/T
2013 300S
#6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 PM

You probably bent the inside prongs. "If" you can open the unit, which might be tricky, you might be able to close up the prongs so the plug will stay in contact when inserted. Hopefully, the plastic isn't cracked which holds the prongs. They are just bent apart and won't make contact any more. Good luck.

2010 Torred SE, 25G, Heated leather, MyGig 430 w/ Sound Group, Sunroof
Mods -Magnaflow 16500 (dual quad tips) - Chrome Clad 20" wheels - Mopar Wheel Caps - Body Color Spoiler - Chrome Fuel Door - Locking Gas Cap - Hood Struts - Functional Hood Scoops - K&N DIF - Mopar Nose Badge - Fender Extensions - RPI Splash Guards - Mopar T-Handle - Stainless Pedal Kit - HomeLink - Hands Free uconnect mic - Lockpick - Boyo rear camera - Relay on plate light - DRL activated - WebElectric Sequential Signals.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKing View Post
I like the idea of doing it myself but it might be a little beyond me. I wouldn't mind shelling out some money for a job well done. Where would I go to get it fixed or replaced?
This isn't a sure thing, but I see you're in Dallas. If you go by a place called Tanner's in Carrollton you might have some luck locating a repairman. It's an electronics parts store and they've got some DIY speaker stuff there too. Everyone that walks in the door looks like they walked off the set of Revenge of the Nerds (I count myself in that group). If someone behind the counter won't do it for you, they might at least know where to point you in the right direction. They've always been extremely overly helpful when I went in there. No offense intended with this, but I don't want to tackle this job myself because there's always a chance I can't get it all put back together right. I've never been inside an OEM head unit, and have never done tech work professionally.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyD View Post
If you were local, I could attempt it, to open and fix. Which system is in yours?
I'm not sure other than its not the electronic package, just the regular stereo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrt View Post
have you tried a new aux cord .... maybe its your cord .... mine was doing that if i twist n jam it it would work but then got a new cord and viola it was the cord
Yeah i've tried several, positive it is the aux port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnetto View Post
You probably bent the inside prongs. "If" you can open the unit, which might be tricky, you might be able to close up the prongs so the plug will stay in contact when inserted. Hopefully, the plastic isn't cracked which holds the prongs. They are just bent apart and won't make contact any more. Good luck.
Thanks, I might try this if I find a video showing someone opening the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceri View Post
This isn't a sure thing, but I see you're in Dallas. If you go by a place called Tanner's in Carrollton you might have some luck locating a repairman. It's an electronics parts store and they've got some DIY speaker stuff there too. Everyone that walks in the door looks like they walked off the set of Revenge of the Nerds (I count myself in that group). If someone behind the counter won't do it for you, they might at least know where to point you in the right direction. They've always been extremely overly helpful when I went in there. No offense intended with this, but I don't want to tackle this job myself because there's always a chance I can't get it all put back together right. I've never been inside an OEM head unit, and have never done tech work professionally.
Thanks I might give them a call.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM

(Thread Starter)
I actually found a good video on how to remove the factory stereo piece.

The only thing is it doesn't show how to get into the unit itself. I'm wondering if there are some screws around the aux port or something so as i might get into it to rearrange the prongs.

What do you guys think?

also, has anyone ever accidently cracked that lining? I would hate to have the happen.

Last edited by RedKing; 01-10-2013 at 07:44 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKing View Post
I actually found a good video on how to remove the factory stereo piece.

The only thing is it doesn't show how to get into the unit itself. I'm wondering if there are some screws around the aux port or something so as i might get into it to rearrange the prongs.

What do you guys think?

also, has anyone ever accidently cracked that lining? I would hate to have the happen.
Getting it out is pretty easy. Take a flathead and wrap it in a towel. Pry from the bottom out until that bezel gets loose down there. Then just work the flathead around the edges until you've popped it free. Don't yank it out because you'll still have some electrical connectors back there. Unplug those and set the bezel aside. Then you've got 4 screws to get the head unit free. There's 2-3 connectors back there. Unplug those and the head unit is free.

Getting into it might be a bit trickier. I had the base 130 head unit. The back looks like this:

Hang on. I just opened mine up to see how difficult this would be. I'm uploading pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Audio, Video and other Car Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode