Do I need a subwoofer? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Audio, Video and other Car Electronics Anything that pertains to the interior electronics modifications such as stereos, A/V, lighting...not exclusive to the Challenger please feel free to share

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 09:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Do I need a subwoofer?

When I bought my '13 Challenger it had an aftermarket Pioneer touch screen stereo w/backup camera, speakers and amp already installed, but no sub. I'm not a big sound guy but I think the music sounds great as it is.

Still, is the rest of the system wasted without a sub? Would you buy one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 12:37 PM

SUB

Yes,I for one think that a sub is good in a car audio system. You can go for something simple like a box and sub with an amp built in. Look into an Infinity BassLink or one of the JL Audio subs with an amp built. If your NOT looking to shake rattle your car than they will work out fine. You say that when you bought the car it had a Pioneer aftermarket Stereo in it? You must have bought it used then....Do you still have front to rear fading with the Pioneer??
#3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 11:16 PM

I started with just one 10" sub in mine and two weeks later went back for a second. I will never regret that decision at all, it made the difference in the world. Sure it took up room in my trunk, and now I have to decide between wanting to hear my exhaust or my bass.

My setup is a Pioneer avh-x5500bhs
10" Rockford Fosgate P2
Rockford Fosgate amp (its mounted on the back of my seat behind the subs so I am unsure of which model it is).
I love it, it sounds great to me and I listen to a little of everything. Also added a backup camera as well.

Last edited by Bart_24; 07-29-2013 at 11:16 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 AM

Subwoofer

Bart 24....I see that you have a 2013 challenger like I do....Also I see that you are using the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS....I was thinking of getting that same unit for my car. How do you like it and how is it working for you with your system?? How is the sound quality? Did you swap out the factory speakers?? What adaptor did you use ?? Did you retain the factory amp?? Do you still have fading?? Thank you much
#5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RALLYE REDLINE View Post
Bart 24....I see that you have a 2013 challenger like I do....Also I see that you are using the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS....I was thinking of getting that same unit for my car. How do you like it and how is it working for you with your system?? How is the sound quality? Did you swap out the factory speakers?? What adaptor did you use ?? Did you retain the factory amp?? Do you still have fading?? Thank you much
Only regret I have about the X5500 is that it didn't have navigation. The touchscreen works perfect for me its not overly or under sensitive its just right. The sound quality is amazing with the factory speakers still installed the only speakers I added was the subs in the back. I had it installed where I bought it but on my invoice it says the adapter is an Axxess ASWC1 which it kept all of my steering wheel controls active for me and my USB hookup works inside the console. Now on the dash it always shows "radio off" but since I use that to see my speed and not my radio information that didn't bother me. I also had them install a different mic for my phone instead of the one that came in the car however the factory one would have worked as well I just wanted a better mic. Overall, I was thoroughly impressed with this Pioneer unit its my favorite so far out of the three that I have owned in previous vehicles. I like the tilt feature for when DVD's are being played and I'd recommend to get the backup camera for it, I use it way more than I thought I would. Hope this helps!

Also, if you have an iPhone you will love the app feature. I have Android but I got to watch a demonstration of the unit being used with an iphone and how it accessed the apps and everything. So I am currently waiting out my Verizon contract to get me an iphone so I can have that fun as well!!

Last edited by Bart_24; 07-30-2013 at 07:16 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 AM

Sub

Thank you Bart 24 for all the info.....I guess that being I replaced all my factory speakers already it should sound even better. Just one more question,What factory radio did you have and do you have the 7 or the 7+sub sound group II system?
#7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RALLYE REDLINE View Post
Thank you Bart 24 for all the info.....I guess that being I replaced all my factory speakers already it should sound even better. Just one more question,What factory radio did you have and do you have the 7 or the 7+sub sound group II system?
Mine came with the Uconnect 130 with six speakers.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:24 PM

No sub here. Don't find it necessary. Decent rear deck speakers and door speakers will provide more than enough Bass and mids. The in dash speakers should be good ones to to provide better highs and mids. Thats how I've always seen it and my car audio sounds great.

[2010]Deep Water Blue Challenger R/T Six Speed.
Mods: 18" Rallye Rims, K&N air filter, Mopar Short Throw shifter,Custom Flowmaster Exhaust, Aeroforce gauge in Vent Gauge pod
Audio: Added 3-1/2" Boston Acoustic Dash speakers, converting from 4 speaker to 6, Parrot Asteroid (Android powered) Single Din Headunit. Swapped in Kenwood speakers in rear deck lid.
My new Car Website: http://ChallengerAccepted.com
#9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:49 PM

My motto is you shouldn't need a radio because your exhaust should be loud

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 02:44 PM

you really dont need one with the already installed stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Audio, Video and other Car Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode