Full range door speakers? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Audio, Video and other Car Electronics

Audio, Video and other Car Electronics Anything that pertains to the interior electronics modifications such as stereos, A/V, lighting...not exclusive to the Challenger please feel free to share

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Full range door speakers?

Just got a 2013 Rallye Redline with 6 speaker BA system. How gan i get full range from door speakers?
Bought some pioneer 3 ways, and still only bass comes through. Not lookin to spend a wad of cash, just want the doors to be full range.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not going to happen unless you change the head unit. The signal going to the doors is crossed over by the factory amp. They only receive a low signal.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by tolbert1671 View Post
Just got a 2013 Rallye Redline with 6 speaker BA system. How gan i get full range from door speakers?
Bought some pioneer 3 ways, and still only bass comes through. Not lookin to spend a wad of cash, just want the doors to be full range.

Thanks
Depending on the design of the speaker's crossover you might be able to tap the dash speaker wires and run them to the doors. Run the usual doors for the bass and tap into dash for the mid and tweeter. It's probably more trouble than it's worth though. It might mean cutting up the speaker's crossover some, or designing one from scratch.

Replacing the head unit and running new wires from it's outputs is the easiest way to get full range up front. That or a $400+ processor with signal summing.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:32 AM

I just bought some 3 way speakers for the doors, does this mean they won't work with a factory amp?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Mods:
91 Octane Diablosport Tune
MBRP Cool Duals Catback
SpeedLogix 4 Point Front Strut Brace
SpeedLogix 4 Point Rear Strut Brace
SpeedLogix Catch Can
Airaid CAI
Challenger Script Badges
Mopar Pistol Grip Shifter
Mopar Bright Pedals
RPI Stealth Splash Guards
Webelectric Sequential Tail lights
RBZ Touchscreen
35% Tint
Jbl gto938 6x9 Speakers
Jbl gto328 3.5 Speakers
Jbl gto638 6.5 Speakers
Hifonics Brutus 1600w amp
Pioneer Champion Series Pro 12" Subwoofer
Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 AM

Photos: (3)
Send a message via AIM to SuBXeRo
If your new 3-way speaker only has one set of power inputs, you wont be able to use the stock amplifier. You would have to connect both the woofer and tweeter leads to the same voice coil on the speaker which you can't really do in this case....

The next best thing to do here would be to purchase a new deck. The idea of having a 3-way speaker in theory is great because all of the sound is coming from one place. The practicality of it is that they usually don't have the best performance. You never see any of the high-end brands messing with anything coaxial with with more than 2-way although there are some that i swear offered a 3-way (maybe 1 design) but i wouldnt mess with it. The multiway speakers are almost part of a marketing scheme, atleast, thats how i view it that is used by the big mainstream brands. The rest of what they mak are single purpose drivers as in woofer, mid range and tweeter. Our cars have stock component's, to go to a coaxial is almost a step backwards in the front, atleast from a performance perspective.

To further what i said, splitting up the sound signal amongst different drivers can be a good thing, similar to what is done in your 4-way. There is no perfect driver out there and their responses usually act differently at different frequencies and amplitudes. By using dedicated drivers for certain freqeuncy ranges the overall sound quality can be better because each driver is doing "less work" by working on a specific frequency range. This also a lot of the time will allow greater volumes as well. This, of course is dependent on the maker of the driver, i don't care how specialized or combined it is, if the manufacturer did a poor design, your sound quality will be poor too.

The best thing you can really do is move from coaxial (multiple drivers on a single driver) to a multi-way system (seperate drivers apart from one another) usually in the form of a 2-way system but you could also do a 3-way or 4-way system but your sound becomes less localized, the goal is to get the drivers as close to one another to create a single source point. 2-ways are most common. Now, can you have a great sounding coxial 2-way, hell yes you can, it can sound great but most just go component style. In home audio, there are very few good manufacturers that do coaxial and just go components. KEF has their Uni-Q driver which is a coaxial but it combines the high ender range where there is much less cone movement and i am assuming is why they are doing it and they can do it right too!

Our cars have a 2-way and personally, i think the dash design hinders the system because of its size and angle. The tweeter really should be closed to the woofer like being in the side pillar. Basically, cars do not present the optimal soundstage almost ever, the easiest way to combat the non-optimal listening environment is to do a multiway configuration which gives you more control of where you choose to have your sound come from.

In the end, this is all about you and what you want and what you ar elooking to get out of your system. Everyone seeks something different and hears things differently. What i like you may hate but there are some things that you can follow as a guideline such as the difference between components and coaxials. Ceri could chime in and absolutely blow away what i know because he has an EE degree (lucky bastard).

"The Black Beauty"
2012 Challenger R/T Black with Super Trak Pak with 5-Speed
-Pioneer DEH-80PRS Deck (running 3-way network mode)
-Arc Audio KS 300.4 - 90 watts X 4 channels @ 4 ohms for front stage
-Arc Audio KS 300.2 - 700 watts X 1 channel bridged @ 4 ohms for subwoofer
-Hybrid Audio Imagine I69-2 Woofers and Sundown Tweets
-Dayton Audio 8" rear deck IB subwoofer
Old 12-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ceri View Post
Depending on the design of the speaker's crossover you might be able to tap the dash speaker wires and run them to the doors. Run the usual doors for the bass and tap into dash for the mid and tweeter. It's probably more trouble than it's worth though. It might mean cutting up the speaker's crossover some, or designing one from scratch.

Replacing the head unit and running new wires from it's outputs is the easiest way to get full range up front. That or a $400+ processor with signal summing.
I wired my 09 ram up like this. It still dident have the frequency range of an after market alpine system. My ram has the factory alpine system. As some one that has had a number of aftermarket alpine systems I have not been impressed. I replaced all the speakers with high end alpine aftermarkets. After about a week I pulled them all out. In my opinion it dident sound any better than stock. In my opinion if your not happy with the stock system the only way to improve it is to replace it all
Old 12-24-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by SuBXeRo View Post
You would have to connect both the woofer and tweeter leads to the same voice coil on the speaker which you can't really do in this case....
Yeah definitely don't do that.

The best thing you can really do is move from coaxial (multiple drivers on a single driver) to a multi-way system (seperate drivers apart from one another) usually in the form of a 2-way system but you could also do a 3-way or 4-way system but your sound becomes less localized, the goal is to get the drivers as close to one another to create a single source point. 2-ways are most common.
This confused me, so I'm going to say it another way. Components are (usually) better than coaxials. In the case of the Dodge Challenger's factory amp, it's basically required or you're wasting "ways" on your coaxials.

Ceri could chime in and absolutely blow away what i know because he has an EE degree (lucky bastard).
It's not magic. I'm not done with the degree yet, but if you can write a sentence with decent spelling and figure out a 20% tip, you can become an electrical engineer. The rules of EE are all really basic when you boil them down. It just takes some dedication and the right attitude. Sadly that seems to narrow down the pool to about 10% of the population.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:36 AM

Well thanks guys you just ruined my Christmas haha just kidding... I just realized I installed some old three way speakers in my rear deck when I got the car so I've gotta yank those out too...I did notice when I installed them that there wasn't a huge difference, so that explains it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-24-2012, 10:00 PM

Photos: (3)
Send a message via AIM to SuBXeRo
with the challenger you kind have to do it 2-way component style (with basic system), you dont really have any other options if you are using their stock amp.

My thoughts go all over the place, i try to stay coherent but once i am on a forum i type like a fourth grader, its terrible.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 PM

with the challenger you kind have to do it 2-way component style (with basic system), you dont really have any other options if you are using their stock amp.
The BASIC system without sound group I is just a 4 speaker and I believe those are full range to all speakers. There aren't too many of those floating around out there, but the base model V6 only has the 4 speaker system. Those are pretty easy to work with.

My thoughts go all over the place, i try to stay coherent but once i am on a forum i type like a fourth grader, its terrible.
I'm trying to limit myself from writing 4 paragraphs when someone asks a simple question now. I caught myself using the Hubble telescope and human evolution as examples when someone asked about putting subs in the trunk. It was glossed over completely by the forum. I knew it was a bit much at the time. I almost brought up E=mc^2 because in a roundabout way it was relevant. In my current job I write emails for a living (sales), and most of my clients want as much description as I can give them. I'm going to stop now because I've hit 7 sentences in response to 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Audio, Video and other Car Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.