Dodge Challenger Forum banner

how do i reboot uconnect 8.4

102K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Lt.Kubosh 
#1 ·
I've not had any real problems with my uconnect since i picked up the car in November, but yesterday the car dropped the bluetooth connection to my phone. Later in they day i saw that uconnect was no longer automatically connecting to the phone and if i manually connect, audio would still be on the phone and not via the uconnect. after this I noticed that if i tried to launch my Yelp app, it would not launch.

Out of curiousity i tried the assist button and when he rep answered, she could not hear me and hung up. i tried calling uconnect support on my phone. the rep walked me through rebooting the bluetooth component of the uconnet
  1. disable bluetooth on my phone
  2. put the car in acc mode
  3. hold the talk and hands free button for 5 seconds
  4. release the buttons
  5. turn the car off and open the door
  6. wait 30 seconds
  7. restart the car

The car then would pair to my phone automatically and i could launch my yelp app. but today on my way home, the uconnect again dropped my call and the phone had to manually pair.

I'm suspecting the whole unit could benefit from a reboot, but i've not found any steps on how to do this. Anyone know how to reboot the uconnect?

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure of a tried and true reboot other than killing power via a battery yank for 10-20 minutes ( allows for bleed down).
Maybe someone else will know?
My uconnect began having random issues as you have described, including random connections to my phone via bluetooth when I wasnt initiating it, other times when blue tooth was disabled due to the head aches it was giving me, the uconnect head unit wouldn't come on/up at all, would respond to buttons or touch options or would but with seriously delayed response, it eventually bricked entirely.
Its a common problem with the 15's actually, to the point, when mine went, it took dodge 2 weeks to get me a replacement unit, because mopar was all out of stock.
There are probably a few threads about it here and elsewhere, though I had heard that the 16's had upgrades done to them, they still maybe plagued with similar issues..
Check for a TSB or have your dealer take a look at it.
Hemi4us

#3 · (Edited)
Get in car and push start twice (RUN) with foot off the brake to keep engine from starting. Then, hold the red temp up [^] and blue down [v] switches simultaneously for about 8 seconds (physical buttons, not virtual). The engineering menu on the 8.4a/n should appear. The last menu item on the first page is 'Reset Radio'. This is the re-boot option. Don't mess with these settings unless you know what you are doing, but a reboot is pretty straightforward. Do not do 'Reset to factory default' or you lose the upgrades.

Let us know if this helped your situation.

#4 ·
Do not do 'Reset to factory default' or you lose the upgrades.
Hey LarryFL, can you tell me more about this Reset to Factory default? Do you know more about what it does? Will I need to reregister with UConnect? That is actually what I'm looking to do, if it's possible.

Thanks

#10 ·
I have a 12 with the RE2 8.4 and all of a sudden last week the Mic in the car stopped picking up and i cant use hands-free. to talk or hear. Bluetooth music still works. i hoping that a battery pull will work as i have already tried the Call/VR button push sequence. and it didn't help. The Temp up and down to get in the menu doesn't work for me.

#11 ·
Hi and welcome, this is a Challenger forum, not a Charger forum. You'll need to seek out a good Charger forum to get help since the 2012 Challengers don't have the same interior or UConnect.

#12 ·
I browsed thru here quick and didn't see reference to holding the mute and source? button centers down for 8-10 seconds.

Doing that will soft reset my stereo when it gets a little confused.

Whatever is in the 2 larger dials under the radio is what I'm talking about. One on left is volume. Not near my car or I'd go look.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Yes this does the job, I have had to do it two days in a row...uconnect seems to not like my phone.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#16 ·
FYI, the Yelp app appears to be a culprit (at least for me). You can run it once, all good. Try to get some additional information on it and you'll set yourself up for a reset -- all functions and all apps become unusable. I talked to the UConnect people. They told me this is a known problem and that a fix is forthcoming. That was about two months ago. So far, nothing. I'm running Uconnect version 8.4.

The only recourse is to do the volume/tune dance as described above.

I avoid Yelp now like the plague and haven't had any problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.