Speakers cutting out intermittently - Not satellite radio - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Audio, Video and other Car Electronics

Audio, Video and other Car Electronics Anything that pertains to the interior electronics modifications such as stereos, A/V, lighting...not exclusive to the Challenger please feel free to share

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 03:15 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Speakers cutting out intermittently - Not satellite radio

Hello all, I have a problem with the stereo in my 09 challenger that I just bought.

I can be listening to the radio, or a cd, and out of no where the speakers will all go silent. Not even the beep of using the touch screen makes a sound. Then a random amount of time will pass and the sound will come back on its own. I have tried turning the head unit off and back on, changing sources, neither works.. The only thing that I have tried and had it work once was pulling over, shutting off the car, and then starting it back up. That made the speakers come to life again.

At first I thought the amp might be getting hot. But no. Yesterday it was 36 degrees outside, and I started the car, and the speakers cut out before I left the driveway. There was no way the amp got hot in that amount of time.

I was hoping that maybe this was a common issue in this year of challenger, or make of radio, but I haven't seen anyone online having this issue that isn't related to satellite radio.

Btw, its the Kicker "livin loud" system I believe (has a kicker sub in the trunk). ANY help would be awesome. I REALLY don't want to have to pay the dealer to sort it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 04:33 AM

It sounds to me like something internal to the head unit. Do the basics first - pull it and double check all the connectors, make sure all the pins are seated solid and connectors are properly connected. make sure there are no crimped wires, etc.

I would also check the same things on the amp. I've never had the need to find mine but I think they are in the drivers side kick panel. I'm sure someone on here knows for sure.

If you've done any electrical add-ons check the fuse box and make sure all you're fuses are seated properly.

Does gently hitting the dash near the stereo cause any change?

Bob
Mods: SRT Chin Spoiler, Ram Air, BCR Coilovers, Vision Legend 5-142 18x8.5 Wheels, 245/55-18 BFG Radial T/A w/Tredwear White Letter Kits, Hurst 6-Speed Shifter, Woodgrain Pistol Grip Shifter Handle, Catch Can, SwitchBack LEDs, Flashing Side Marker LED Lights, Drake Sequential Turn Signal, Classic Script Badging, Mopar M Nose Badge, R/T Steering Wheel Badge.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:52 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
id be pissed at the ass that sold me a car with a faulty radio...

Old 12-17-2012, 05:05 AM

My car has been doing the same thing for the past two weeks also. Like you said, I pulled over and restarted the car and it worked once. I also noticed that my nav is froze in one location. It shows that I am driving in circles at the same location while driving on the highway.
2011 Toxic Orange SRT8, Solo Mach X-3 Exhaust, Airaid CAI, Mopar short throw shifter, Hop Not stage 1 & 2, Speedlogix catch can, Lockpick, Rear camera, WE Sequential tail lights, Mopar door sills, DRL-active, Trinity, 180* T-stat
Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Definitely sounds like the head unit. If it's under warranty still, this is a warranty issue and I'd give it over to a dealership. If you're out of bumper to bumper warranty based on mileage or original sale date, then I'd look into replacing the head unit. You can either go aftermarket or try to find a replacement at a pick and pull. Pick and pull would be cheapest. You can also watch the classifieds here and elsewhere for a replacement. All the factory head units are very expensive new. If it came to that, you'd probably want to go aftermarket.

If you just bought it, and you did so through a dodge dealer, take it to them and see if they'll work with you on it. Start by seeing if they'll fix it free. If not, they might at least work with you on repair cost. A lot of dealers have a no fault 30-60 day warranty. Some even have a 30-60 day return policy. You could threaten to return it entirely if they don't help you with this. It's not going to be a cheap fix. If you bought it private party or from a non-dodge dealer you're probably SOL on that option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Audio, Video and other Car Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.