Subwoofer swap - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Audio, Video and other Car Electronics

Audio, Video and other Car Electronics Anything that pertains to the interior electronics modifications such as stereos, A/V, lighting...not exclusive to the Challenger please feel free to share

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 06:33 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for all the good info gentlemen. Still watching and learning. SacTownMan commented in a PM that at 368 peak Watts my amp is likely pushing around 40 watts RMS to the sub. Anyone have the specs on this amp?

Roto-Fab Intake, Solo Mach-X Catback, SRT Suspension, Petty Strut Tower Brace, Mopar Sequential Light Kit, Hood Struts & Bright Pedal Kit, Full Rams Head Delete, Custom Engine Cover, BT Catch Can & Under-hood kit, Braided Lines, Custom Badging

Last edited by AFDoc; 11-13-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Originally Posted by the727kid View Post
Those Kappas don't come in 8 do they? IF anything he could send P.S.I. an e-mail and have a woofer custom built.
I believe they were single 4 ohm only, but there was another model (I think it was 10.1d?) that might have been DVC with more options. PSI looks like a great company, but outside the price range of this sort of goal. I didn't know there was a single run production house for one off subs.

Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Thanks for all the good info gentlemen. Still watching and learning. SacTownMan commented in a PM that at 368 peak Watts my amp is likely pushing around 40 watts RMS to the sub. Anyone have the specs on this amp?
I found a post discussing the differences between SGI and SGII. If I take 276 divided by 6 speakers I get 46 watts per channel. If I take 368 divided by 8 I get 46 watts per channel again. I'm guessing all channels of the BA amp get 46 watts per channel. I'm also going to go out on a limb and guess those are peak ratings? Maybe RMS, but if the flea market brands advertise peak, I'm guessing car manufacturers do too. Going out on another limb I'm going to assume we can just divide by root 2 to get RMS from that (that's a bit of a leap), so about 32 watts RMS for the sub. There's some assumptions in there, but I think they were reasonable. I'm more comfortable saying 32-46 watts RMS per channel.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:07 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If he's really serious he could just get a DMM and a test tone and that could get him in the ballpark for RMS. Most 5 channels (of course aftermarket) give more power for the sub channel, so I don't see the factory giving the sub the same power as everything else.

MECP Advanced Autotech

Audio Mods:
Alarm: Viper 5902
Head Unit: AppRadio 2
Front Stage (Fully Active):
Tweeters: Image Dynamics CD1-Pro Mini Horns
Amplifier: Kicker IX500.4 Bridged
Mid-Bass: Sundown Audio Neo 8"
Amplifier: Kicker IX500.4 Bridged
Processing: JBL MS-8
Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was just guessing cause for the factory amp to be putting out much more than 40 watts (RMS) to that sub would be a miracle. Plus how clean of a signal would that be anyway. Seems like it would be clipping so bad it would sound like crap turned up.

I gave him the same opinion as Ceri and suggested he look at a inexpensive sub/enclosure/amp combo that he could just tap into his 8" sub line. But like you both know there are a bunch of ways to do this. I just don't ever see that factory 8" sub location ever putting out decent bass. I noticed better lows coming from my factory 6x9's in the doors than the 8" ever put out.
I will say that the 8" Boston seemed to be built a little bit better than the other factory speakers I pulled out.
I spent more than $1000.00 on just the sub part of my upgrade but I added a RF T-1000 amp at 1500 watts RMS/(2) RF P3 12" subs a JL enclosure and the original LC2i converter. I would think you could get something decent for $400 or $500 using a single 10 or 12 preloaded in a amp/enclosure combo. Everything is accessible right there in the trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Audio, Video and other Car Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.