Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Upgrading to Harmon Kardon on a Scat Pack?

20K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  Zion_392 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am in the process of specifying my options for a Scat-pack with Shaker hood and see there is no option for the better audio system. Is there anyway to do this as an after-market upgrade.

Most seem to really like the HK while the Sound group 2 reviews are not all that positive.

any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 ·
There's two optional upgrades on Scat Pack Shaker, the Sound Group II or the Harman Kardon. I like the HK but would probably order the SGII so I could run a spare tire, the HK subs fill the tire well otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
I went on Dodge.com and built a Scat pack shaker and it did not have the HD option. Maybe just a configuration error. It was listed as an option for the RT Shaker, but not the Scat Pack Shaker.

#3 ·
"Most seem to really like the HK while the Sound Group 2 reviews are not all that positive"
Where did you read this? That is not been my experience, mostly the opposite. I have owned both systems and u can find pluses and minuses for both. I like the old Sound Group II, that I had in my older SRTs the best. They had that nice subwoofer on the side of the trunk.

All that said, I have no complaints with my current SGII in my Shaker R/T.

#7 ·
Glad to hear you are enjoying your sound system, before I posted this I searched on sound group keyword and found a thread on it and a number of owners said it was not loud enough.

#6 ·
I like my HK system and while it would be nice to have a spare I can live without it. The HK system is a great stock system. Aftermarket can do better probably, but you will not have nearly the same integration of features as stock. I have installed numerous systems in late model vehicles and there is always some module or three that you need to buy to get them to work. After a spider web of wiring mess you finally get it working, but only half ass. Some stock features may not work or are missing. Silly thing like steering wheel controls become intermittent. Sometimes the ass pain involved with aftermarket installs almost make it not worth it. I suppose if you were a huge audiophile that needed perfection then that would work out. At that point though you are probably dropping a few grand on it anyway. I also should mention I did the amp reflash tsb on my HK. For a stock system the HK one is awesome.

To answer you question, OP, about optioning it. I don't know since I didn't go the Scat route.

#9 ·
I must be getting old (41 this year) but it's plenty loud enough for me. Don't take my word for it, go to a local dealer and listen to the system in a SGII.

#10 ·
The HK should still be available on Scat Pack unless something recently changed, your dealer will have to build a mock order to be sure, the Dodge site not always accurate. And I should clarify, the SGII would give you the option to install a spare tire yourself, no spare comes from Brampton on the Scat Packs but there is an aftermarket kit available to add one if you like. Otherwise, you just get an electric tire pump with a can of sealant.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I haven't heard the SG2, but I own HK system. I do have a ton of experience with aftermarket audio(25 yrs), and I'll back up what Grimmy says, if you like features and functionality, less headache and great sound, get the HK. The diff between the two is 700 bucks. If you try to upgrade the sg2 to a full aftermarket system, you'll spend that 700 on just the LOC (if you get a JL Cleansweep). That doesn't include your amps, upgraded speakers, subwoofers, wire, labor. JL sells a 12 inch stealth sub that's 600 for just the sub and enclosure. That's without wire, or amp to drive it. If you were to get out of there under 3 grand, I would be HIGHLY surprised. And that doesn't even go into all the integration problems, especially if you get a new head unit( 1000 more). I have heard and built quite a few car systems, from boom trucks you can hear from 6 blocks away, to sound quality setups where you can hear a pin drop on the studio floor. The HK system is a GREAT stock system. I have no desire to change mine, and I am a stereo nut. Will it hold a candle to a dedicated SQ system? Yes, it is THAT good. I'd be willing to bet that you could even win some SQ competitions with it, or at least place well. And that's against systems costing 10 grand or more. If you get the HK, you wont miss the spare tire. You really need to audition the two systems to get an idea for yourself. Some people cant hear the difference or have different tastes, but IMHO, it is the BEST stock system I have heard, and I have heard a ton of them.

#37 ·
a post like this really makes me wonder if all my speakers are blown or if the something else is wrong. i got a software upgrade when i first bought the car and that fixed the subs, but just like you i've been doing car audio for about the same amount of time as you, even professionally for a big portion of that time. i do not feel the same about the stereo. with bass at 0 if i go over 16-18 on the volume the bass distorts and clips like crazy. while the highs sound very good and mids are clear....the bass is driving me nuts.....i have tried all kinds of media and am just baffled...i thought maybe it was just the way the system sounds, but after reading more i'm convinced something must be wrong or my ear has gone to pot.....

#14 ·
And Im not sure how much cotton people have stuffed in their ears, but I can deliver quite an earspanking to myself and get my ears ringing anytime I want. For reference, the truck I traded in for the challenger had an 18 inch subwoofer with 2000 watts going to just the sub, and another 900 going to the rest of the system.

#18 ·
To clarify my thinking, the main problem is the HK amplifier. it has built in digital signal processing, which SG2 does not. DSP allows you to change all the parameters of your sound system, from EQ to crossover points to surround modes. That is why the big HK update from a few months ago had such an impact on the sound, they completely redid all the parameters. I know because I had it done on mine. So, my feeling is that to convert SG2- which is Alpine anyway- to the HK system will be too expensive and not worth it after you've bought the car.

Reactions: Geno22
#21 ·
If your really care about sound, I suggest you consider ordering the Sound Group II then adding a JL Stealthbox with separate sub amp. Hits very hard, overall sound - 9 out of 10. Deducted 1 point cause I''d still like the system to be 10% louder.

The dealer compared this set up to the stock HK system. No contest.

#24 ·
I've had stock, SGII, and the HK. The SGII was worth the upgrade. Only issue I have is when the windows are down and sunroof open, it can tend to be not loud enough depending what I'm listening through. Radio is all good. Bluetooth, media card, and even USB tend to be much more quiet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#28 ·
I listen to those genres as well. I liked the HK system and would have ordered it again. But I was already having issues justifying the price increase of getting a scat pack. So I settled. If you like your music kinda loud, get the HK.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#25 ·
My personal opinion..... its all rubbish, i had sound group II in my car, fought with it for a year and finally ditched the crap all together. The problem is with the factory amp/dsp in these systems, it is absolutely terrible, the doors is all low range thump, the dash is all high end sizzle, and that leaves your mids and vocals coming from the rear creating an absolute staging nightmare. I originally did the drop in infinity speaker fix that some have done to get more volume from the system but this fixes nothing with the poor staging and EQ of the factory systems. I finally just bit the bullet and had an audison bit 1 installed with an audison amp with hertz components all done professionally, put a hertz 12" sub in the rear powered with a hertz amp and im done.... Sure it cost quite a bit in comparison, but the uconnect is kept and maintained in the vehicle, all the features of the uconnect function as designed and i can finally say the audio in my car kicks ass.

#29 ·
I listen to clasic hard rock, metal, nu metal, prog etc and I have no issues with the volume of the SGII, however my neighbors might. If you really need concert levels I'd imagine the HK is your answer.

#33 ·
It is ok if you dont understand grimmy, but aftermarket does not mean replacing the factory head unit, and does not involve losing any factory functionality of the uconnect system, I can attest my system will blow the doors off any HK or sound group crap out there and it still does everything it was designed to do from the factory, the key is adding a DSP such as a bit one to flatten the EQ and get it all more musical again and create rca outputs to amps that can power speakers from there. I understand what you are saying where one is better then the other on sgII vs HK, but its still all very wrong and any good audio shop with an RTA will be able to show you just how wrong it is, at the end of the day i had wish i bought no audio package at all and just installed the bit one and amps right away. I cannot attest to the HK but i know for a fact, a scientific fact proved with not just my ears but other calibrated measuring equipment that the sound staging on the SGII is all over the place due to what type of speakers are being driven, the 3.5" speakers in the cars see nearly no mids at all just high sizzle and the 6x9's in the door is all low end thump, that leaves a large majority of the sound coming from behind you out of the 6.5's in the hatshelf of the car. Now maybe some of you have never been to a concert hall, but i like my sound front and center not all over the damn place.

#34 ·
I get what you are saying, but you are referring to a scenario of aftermarket versus stock right? If so, then I agree with you that once you go aftermarket then yes the quality of your sound is significantly better. That is why there is an aftermarket. That is why I mentioned in my posts that I have heard and even installed those type of system in my own vehicles as a stock replacement/upgrade. What this thread was about was a questions regarding upgrading from the SGII to the HK and if it was worth it. IMHO it is very much so with the understanding that the OP or anybody else that reads this thread has no intentions of going aftermarket.

Keep in mind that many folks going aftermarket are going to head over to Best Buy or Crutchfield and enter in the Challenger which will spit out all of these dozens of modules or so to buy. Usually made by PAC Audio or some other random company all of these modules need to talk using standard 1's and 0's of electrical highs and lows. They also tap into stock vehicles wires that go to the body control module or steering wheel controls. There is so much noise those travels on those wires that sometimes hitting the volume up button makes it go down or all of a sudden makes it go up uncontrollably. I am speaking from experience on this after multiple installs on GM vehicles.

Once I got everything install and programmed, the system works like it should most of the time. The last install I did was a 2010 Sierra with the Bose system. I added my own headunit, amp, satellite, and steering wheel controls. The system sounded fantastic, but there was always some damn little hiccup or two with integration. I couldn't imagine trying to do all of that on my Challenger. I have thought about trying to see if I could somehow add pre-amps like you mentioned to put in another sub, but I havn't put that much effort into it yet.

At the same time, I really like how my HK system sounds. Could it be better? You bet. There are some genres I play that I just can't seem to find a good equalizer setting for. Then other genres just sound phenominal. At the end of the day I can make the system better, but that depends on how many hundreds or thousands of dollars I want to put into it.

I am not discounting what you are saying I am simply saying that your goal can be achieved with out of pocket money invested. Great sound can be had with simply selecting HK from the start and if it still isn't enough then invest some cash. Or you could go your route and go with the cheapest sound system available and pay out of pocket for aftermarket. Maybe I am wrong about features and integration issues, but I just havn't checked into it all that much for my car because I have been satisfied with what I have. If you have had better results I would love to see what brands/modules you have! :grin2::wink3::guiness:

#35 ·
I do agree grimmy, i think my frustration with SGII is so high at this point that when someone starts talking about it i just want to pull all my hair out and scream NO from the mountain tops. At the same time I have invested about 4 grand into making my audio system what i want, using very high end components that require specialty training to install correctly. The advantage of all of this was to keep everything factory as far as the headunit is concerned, there is no pac modules or any wonky crap like that, just a audison bit one DSP that is driven by the factory uconnect, an audison 4 channel amp driving hertz component speakers and hertz coax speakers, and a hertz 12" sub with hertz mono amp. Simple clean and done right but at a cost.... I would honestly need to hear a HK to make my opinion about that but i can tell you i ordered sound group II and have been pissed since day 1 i paid money for that crap, maybe HK is a better solution.

#36 ·
I have a feeling you would be very impressed with the HK system. I'm also into staging, presence and so on, and I can tell you that the engineers at HK put a lot of work into the system to get it right. Staging is all front and center. The 6x9 subs in the doors bring the bass forward nicely, but the subs in the trunk do bring it back from time to time. I can deal with that so I can save quite a few bucks on any aftermarket stuff. You have to listen to one, you'll be impressed like I was.

#38 ·
I love the HK n my shaker, first time I drove it I thought something was loose in the rear, we foundthe Bass was +10, we adjusted it and the sound is awesome, still feel the trunk rock when a tune with bass is on
I ordered a spare from performance spare.com which came with a lug, jack, tie down bolt and tool bag. Their spares have spacers to fit SRT brake calipers, so have the best of both worlds
Don't settle for a lower end sound system in lieu of a spare when you can get a spare anyway

#41 ·
What source are you using?

Yesterday I thought my system had just gone nuts - I couldn't get any sort of volume out of it, even though it had been perfectly fine the day before...

...until I noticed that for some reason the input had changed from the SD Card to the Bluetooth. Changed back to SD Card and everything sounded great.

Here's the problem: If you use Bluetooth, USB audio, or the Aux input, the volume is limited by the phone or iPod. If you use the SD Card or use the USB as a file service connection, you get full volume from the head unit.

#40 ·
I have the 19 speaker HK system in my 2015 SRT 392. When I first received the car, I was extremely disappointed with the sound. I like high end audio, and the HK sounded like garbage.

Thanks to this forum, I saw a post about a TSB refresh for the HK stereo. I got this taken care of at the local dealer and I couldn't be happier with the sound.

I really like the HK now, and I am glad that I purchased it.

#44 ·
I had the HK system in my 15 srt... and when i noticed that i could turn it up to 38 listening to taylor swift and still talkk to by daughter in the backseat without raising my voice I decided to change things out.

So I ripped out everything and put a complete system.

just get a Alpine PXA-H800, Audison bit one, mosconi 6to8 or something similar.... buy a multi-channel amp and a few components and you would have a ridiculously better system for only a small percentage more than you would trying to upgrade to the hk system.

the items would even be transferable if you ever traded in your car.

#47 · (Edited)
I had the HK system in my 15 srt... and when i noticed that i could turn it up to 38 listening to taylor swift and still talkk to by daughter in the backseat without raising my voice I decided to change things out.
What were you using as a source?

I've seen a number of people say this, and I just don't have this problem - I can't get anywhere NEAR max volume, and I spent years in a metal band, then more than a decade driving race cars. I like it REALLY loud, and there's more than enough in the H-K in my car.

The only time I've ever had a lack of volume was when I inadvertently set it to use my phone as a bluetooth source, and the phone itself was limiting the volume. Using the SD card, it's PLENTY loud.

?!?!?!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.