Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2015 Dodge Hellcat, Should I go Stick or Automatic

79K views 386 replies 95 participants last post by  hemipowerv8 
#1 ·
This may be a stupid question... but I have just put a deposit on the new Hellcat, I am going in to customize it on August 1st. I was wondering if I should go manual or automatic. I know that manual would be much more fun, but will it be as fast? Especially if I am not an expert at it. What do y'all think the advantages and disadvantages are?

#7 ·
As a 6-spd guy I agree with the above and with this much power I would go automatic.

Also the Hellcat has revised transmission and axle ratios compared to the SRT 392 and will put even more strain on the clutch during dragstrip launches, see below:

Attachments

#128 · (Edited)
As a 6-spd guy I agree with the above and with this much power I would go automatic.

Also the Hellcat has revised transmission and axle ratios compared to the SRT 392 and will put even more strain on the clutch during dragstrip launches, see below:

A manual guy through and through... but would probably go with the Auto here.
The only reason is... I just don't get the change to 6th gear,... just so 5 guys out of thousands can use 6th at the salt flats?

I'd rather it was still .50 This pig will still have tons of torque at 1500rpm!!!!
So if the Auto can live with 1.76 final... then the 6sp could have lived with a 1.85 final.
I'm just not thrilled about turning an extra 400 rpm at highway cruising speeds for hours on end...
Just so 3 Magazine reviewers could take their test car to the Texas Mile. "ONCE".
I just don't see any good reason for that 2.33 6spd final ratio... besides handing the Gov more Gas Guzzler $$

#8 ·
1/4 mile the car? Auto. DD the car to/from work with traffic? Auto. Don't "need" the car for DD but will drive WHEN you want? Manual. Maybe take it to the track once just to see? Manual. Me? Manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: RobF
#11 · (Edited)
#12 ·
#17 ·
Buy what you like. For me, it has to be a manual, but I don't drag race my car.

#18 ·
I think the 8-speed would destroy the 6-speed in a drag race, only reason to get the 6-speed would be if your going to road course it ALOT. I also don't see the clutch holding up long, so put aside money to replace that every 5/10k if you drive it hard.

#21 ·
My brother has 780 horsepower in a blown Mustang and still has the same clutch put in when he did the motor. If Chrysler did their homework that stock clutch can take it for a bit of punishment.

Reactions: teddyp
#22 ·
...I know that manual would be much more fun, but will it be as fast?
The manual will not be as fast, it is only a question of how much slower will it be than the A8. No hard info from Dodge but the educated guesses are the M6 will run about like the 2013-14 GT500. That means mid to high 11's for good drivers.

The real question you need to ask is which is more important to you: having much more fun, or having a lower ET at the drag strip?

I have always preferred manuals, but the 707 hp and the great new A8 does make the automatic a lot more attractive than in the past. But I also worry that after a few months I might get tired of an A8 and want a manual back. As you said, they are just a lot more fun for me to drive.

#25 ·
I would only share my thinking. I'm going 6 m/t for the joy of having to harness that much power! I'm going to dd this beast. I'm not a track guy or for that matter even a "car guy". I'm just a driving enthusiast. I love seeing "that" spot, dropping a gear and putting "her" in that perfect spot, all of course without causing another driver to touch a break. Those clover leaves, two or three curves coming up that causes your pulse to pick up because you know this road by heart and traffic patterns allow for you to just whomp on it and get!...and having that connection with MY car through the tranny adds to that.. But that's jus me. My car is my office and I want to control every aspect of the experience I can. Best wishes in whatever you choose. what ever makes you smile- don't over think the joy of a man and his machine...

#26 · (Edited)
LOL @ the idiots saying "but the manual will be slower than the auto, get the auto"

It's a 707hp car!!!! Even if you shift slow this car is going to be fast as f*ck!

Oh no, I'm "only" doing mid-elevens... please stop throwing rotting garbage at my car in disgust.

:icon_rolleyes:

Not only that, but the car has launch control so take off isn't as cryptic as it used to be... Still plenty of fun to be had with a stick at the track.

I imagine you'd just need to set launch control, floor it in first, then after launch bang out 2nd and 3rd gear and you're all set.

I'll be going 6-speed all the way since the roads in my city don't consist of quarter mile drag strips where you'd swear by some people's assertions that a couple tenths mean the difference between life and death.

It used to be that the pro-stick guys around here were a$$holes but now there's an auto-arrogance.

#27 ·
this topic got beat to death in another thread...A8 vs M6 Hellcat! http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f290/argument-6mt-235482/

Either one in this car and it will still be a BA, so go drive a challenger in each before you order your car and see which you enjoy the most. That is all that matters. :burnout: :burnout:

#28 ·
From a 0-60 standpoint every automatic I have owned has been much quicker than a stick! The auto Hellcat will be much quicker off the line, every time than a manual, I have no doubt. Face it, the world of manual transmissions is coming to an end.

#29 ·
Auto is faster lolz....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.