Dodge Challenger Forum banner

6.2L Supercharged "HellCat" Hemi For 014MY

138K views 541 replies 123 participants last post by  Hellcat15 
#1 · (Edited)
The long rumored 6.2L Supercharged Hemi, nicknamed "HellCat" will debut in the Summer of 2014 for the 2015MY. It will be based on the 6.1 Hemi - with a possible Aluminum Block - and displacing approximately 375 CID (6.2L). Horsepower output will be around 600 HP plus/minus with cylinder head technology developed for/and used on the current 392 Hemi due to its excellent flow numbers will be applied.

Boost (psi) to deliver the approximate 600 HP - plus/minus - stock would be in the 9 to 15 psi range to deliver the horsepower/torque numbers. Currently Chevy/Cadilliac uses 9psi to develop 580 HP in their 6.2L SC V8s and the Ford 5.8 SC V8 uses 15 psi to deliver 662 HP in their 2013-14 GT500. Expect 9 or 10 psi for stock boost giving the aftermarket plenty of room to mod up to 15 psi. A modded "HellCat" should out-horsepower the 5.8 SC GT500 due to the fact that you cannot change both pulleys - like on the 5.4 (2007-12) models. Even Shelby SuperSnakes (2013MY) with the Stage 1 setup (5.8) doesn't touch the Ford factory setup. The entire SC is replaced to deliver 850 HP (Stage 2).

Internals will be highly upgraded, as well as the remainder of the drivetrain to handle the horsepower/torque requirements. Direct Injection and other measures will be applied to deliver MPG, with possible Rear End Gear Ratios being lowered as well for 6speed cars from 3.92 to 3.64 range.

For transmissions - a 6speed Manual and either a 5 or 8 speed (still possible) for automatic cars. Nothing yet is totally confirmed on the remainder of the drivetrain upgrade. However, look for the SRT 6.2 SC "HellCat" package to be in the same ballpark as the ZL1 and GT500.

Below is a photo that has recently been circulating around automotive circles to date.

Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Motor vehicle

Additional Info ....
The Hellcat SC 6.2 Hemi Package will include Beefier Rear tire/wheel package ... 20x10.5-inch w/205 or 305 wide rubber depending on the Anti-Spin diff Final Drive Ratio. The tires will be similar to the GT500 with Goodyear F1 Ultra Supercar G2 compound and tread pattern. The package will also include the 2012MY intro 2- and 3-mode Suspension, plus 2013MY Launch Control

There should be approximately a 150 lb. weight reduction on a SRT with the new "LA" floorpan (6speed Manual/8speed Auto) and Aluminum Maserati/Alfa fashioned sportier suspension replacing the Mercedes suspension.

Also, a new Steering Column which means a NEW Styled Steering Wheel.

See less See more
#105 ·
That cant be true. 1500 supercharged challengers......they would go for 10k over MSRP. Try to find a Pontiac G8 GXP....Impossible and there was about 1830 units made. I have a standing Carmax search for a GXP. If I find a low miles one, im snaching it up for future sale.

#107 ·
OK, I have just one question. How can Dodge justify all the R&D $ for a one model year limited production car?

Regardless of what I may think sometimes, I am not the center of the universe. I really hate to think that Dodge is going through all this trouble for a one year run.

Say it aint so!

#108 ·
OK, I have just one question. How can Dodge justify all the R&D $ for a one model year limited production car?

Regardless of what I may think sometimes, I am not the center of the universe. I really hate to think that Dodge is going through all this trouble for a one year run.

Say it aint so!
They wouldn't do such a low number or for only one year. It just costs way to much to get something like this engineered, tested, and approved.

#114 ·
Hopefully they sell it in a crate version as well. Would make a great E-Rod setup. Imagine dropping it in a old dart or 1960 Chrysler 300. WOW! Im pretty sure it would be a $16k crater.

#116 ·
My guess is on the Detroit Auto or New York Auto show.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#118 ·
It would be interesting to see if they incorporate direct injection.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#119 ·
I'm kinda happy and sad to hear of any supercharged version coming out. I'm happy that Dodge is trying to compete a little with the ZL1's and 500's out there.....but as much as I'd love to have one, I just can't justify going from an R/T, then a 6.4...then a 6.2 blown challenger all with a 5 year time frame.

The N/A 6.4 is enough on the street already, and the aftermarket is finally coming out with blower kits...which should get the existing 6.4's in the mid-to-high 500HP range anyway.

I just need to be sure that if/when the 6.2 blown versions of the SRT ever come out on the market, I WILL NOT go on any test drives!!! I may lose what little logical reasoning I have! lol

#126 ·
Ill be interested, but Im going to wait until it has been out a few years and then pick on up. Although I love my 11 SRT, it is "barely" worth the money i paid for it(thank god I got a great discount) it is not even built nearly as well as my 2001 Ford Ranger that cost half as much. No way Id pay upwards of $60,000 for the same lack of quality. Not a dig at the Challenger, just the way it is.

#128 · (Edited)
Don't worry. Dodge won't let you test drive it anyway. Besides, the dealer will add 10K to the sticker for market adjustment when they first come out pushing the price past 70K. You know I'm right!!! I'm thinking of maybe picking up a used one in a few years after my car is paid in full. That is if I don't spring for a final 2013 in Hemi Orange before the style gets tweaked. I can never decide. That is why it is better to wait. I have Challenger ADHD I swear...

#131 ·
Don't worry. Dodge won't let you test drive it anyway.
The service manager at the dealership I buy my SRTs from has already "started" on me about the S/C version. He keeps joking with me about how he's going to order "mine". Silver or Black; 6spd; sunroof; system; tires. (D@mn, he knows me too well.) The past Challengers I bought from them, he ordered to "my" specs and called me in for a test drive when they arrived. (I hate him, lol) The last time I was there, he was like, "Should we schedule your test drive now?" I covered my ears and left... LOL!!!

#130 ·
Finding a used LC challenger 6.2 the way you want one, may turn out to be very difficult. I may wait until I see the LA 6.2 before I pull the trigger on the LC...just to be sure. That may lead to a color that isn't my first choice. Although seeing the sublime pearl shots, I wouldn't miss that one too much.

#132 · (Edited)
The LC 6.2L will be cool and all but I still want to see the new LA platform. That will determine if my GT500 will have a future friend next to it in the driveway. :)
Ive got my bad ass car and will keep going with it. By the time the LA platform comes around, I will need a new daily driver since the GT500 might get a little to much to be one. LOL

#141 ·
Hope we can see something soon... its just wrong that we need to guess what we're gonna see 6 months or a 1.5 years before they hit the lots. Not right.... Shouldn't be any guessing, we should know 95% of everything thats gonna be in these cars, including how its gonna look, color options, etc. Instead, we won't know what color these cars are gonna have until a few days before they start to paint. Whats the problem?

Reactions: RoostKing
#142 ·
Instead, we won't know what color these cars are gonna have until a few days before they start to paint. Whats the problem?
It's been mentioned before, Dodge's marketing department....

#144 ·
they are doing exactly what they should.. we have 15 pages of people wondering what size motors.. what supercharger.. is it going to be a supercharger. is it going to be a cuda, a challenger, a superbird whatever it is.

seams they don't need to discuss it. most everyone on either challenger boards or mopar in general are chatting about it for them without them saying BOO.

we can talk all we want. till this thing whatever it is hits the showrooms, it is all just that. talk

chris

Reactions: Blu Angel
#145 ·
they are doing exactly what they should.. we have 15 pages of people wondering what size motors.. what supercharger.. is it going to be a supercharger. is it going to be a cuda, a challenger, a superbird whatever it is.

seams they don't need to discuss it. most everyone on either challenger boards or mopar in general are chatting about it for them without them saying BOO.

we can talk all we want. till this thing whatever it is hits the showrooms, it is all just that. talk

chris

Really? one thread on the MAIN Challenger forum and thats the hype they are trying to create?? ONE! THREAD!!!

they are getting nothing from it.....ive been considering a 2013 GT500 and been checking their Forum daily...not 1 mention of Dodge in any way....ive mentioned the new motor and dont even get a response from any of them...

no one cares

2014 is 1-2 years late to the party.....i dont doubt it will compete with the ZL1 on acceleration....Chevy's #'s arent very impressive for the HP that car has....i doubt it will compete on handling with the ZL1 or Boss...because of its size it really cant.....one thing i can guarantee...it wont beat a $54,000 2013 GT500 and we all know it will cost much more

#146 ·
did you stop to consider maybe they don't want any info out yet? everyone is getting ansy wanting to know what when where.. ok

so lets say you find out is is going to be a cuda.. with a 6.2 supercharger. and lets say you see the FINAL pics that will become production.. you still are going to want to test drive it and see it in PERSON before you buy it. and what if you sit in it and HATE it.

when it hits the lots we will know what it will be. I to would like to know but it is like our government.. we know only what they want us to know and that is how it is going to be. There is more than one thread about this.. do a search.

so sit back and relax or go buy the mustang.. your call.

#147 ·
They probably want to avoid the Osborne syndrome. I for one for example was surprised how early Ford showed the new Fusion. I would think it lowered sales of the then current gen cars. Then again, people who buy a Fusion probably don't follow the auto press anyway :)

#188 ·
Hmmm, let's see, ooh yeah . . . funny thing is, I thought I stated that when I started this thread and RS has confirmed it isn't a "Limited Run of 1500 cars" as some has posted in this thread and others. Yeah, truely funny how news travels on the internet.

#155 ·
#159 · (Edited)
SRT 6.2L HellCat Hemi to start production in April

Another source confirms the "Hellcat" becoming available this Spring.
Now, If only ResumeSpeed could chime in with his "professional" opinion.

Here is the link for your reading enjoyment:

OntarioStreetCar.com » SRT 6.2L HellCat Hemi to start production in April

RS has already stated that production on the 2014 6.2 LC Challenger will start mid year...sometime around July. He has a good source, and never found him to be wrong, so its safe to say thats when it'll start.

Tech, your numbers are probably spot on. I don't see them pushing this thing that much. 9PSI max... so 600 sounds right... Why not 10 or 11 for 650..or something? Honestly though... I'd be content with 600, but if its less that would be a slap in the face IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.