Dodge Challenger Forum banner

6.2L Supercharged "HellCat" Hemi For 014MY

138K views 541 replies 123 participants last post by  Hellcat15 
#1 · (Edited)
The long rumored 6.2L Supercharged Hemi, nicknamed "HellCat" will debut in the Summer of 2014 for the 2015MY. It will be based on the 6.1 Hemi - with a possible Aluminum Block - and displacing approximately 375 CID (6.2L). Horsepower output will be around 600 HP plus/minus with cylinder head technology developed for/and used on the current 392 Hemi due to its excellent flow numbers will be applied.

Boost (psi) to deliver the approximate 600 HP - plus/minus - stock would be in the 9 to 15 psi range to deliver the horsepower/torque numbers. Currently Chevy/Cadilliac uses 9psi to develop 580 HP in their 6.2L SC V8s and the Ford 5.8 SC V8 uses 15 psi to deliver 662 HP in their 2013-14 GT500. Expect 9 or 10 psi for stock boost giving the aftermarket plenty of room to mod up to 15 psi. A modded "HellCat" should out-horsepower the 5.8 SC GT500 due to the fact that you cannot change both pulleys - like on the 5.4 (2007-12) models. Even Shelby SuperSnakes (2013MY) with the Stage 1 setup (5.8) doesn't touch the Ford factory setup. The entire SC is replaced to deliver 850 HP (Stage 2).

Internals will be highly upgraded, as well as the remainder of the drivetrain to handle the horsepower/torque requirements. Direct Injection and other measures will be applied to deliver MPG, with possible Rear End Gear Ratios being lowered as well for 6speed cars from 3.92 to 3.64 range.

For transmissions - a 6speed Manual and either a 5 or 8 speed (still possible) for automatic cars. Nothing yet is totally confirmed on the remainder of the drivetrain upgrade. However, look for the SRT 6.2 SC "HellCat" package to be in the same ballpark as the ZL1 and GT500.

Below is a photo that has recently been circulating around automotive circles to date.

Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Motor vehicle

Additional Info ....
The Hellcat SC 6.2 Hemi Package will include Beefier Rear tire/wheel package ... 20x10.5-inch w/205 or 305 wide rubber depending on the Anti-Spin diff Final Drive Ratio. The tires will be similar to the GT500 with Goodyear F1 Ultra Supercar G2 compound and tread pattern. The package will also include the 2012MY intro 2- and 3-mode Suspension, plus 2013MY Launch Control

There should be approximately a 150 lb. weight reduction on a SRT with the new "LA" floorpan (6speed Manual/8speed Auto) and Aluminum Maserati/Alfa fashioned sportier suspension replacing the Mercedes suspension.

Also, a new Steering Column which means a NEW Styled Steering Wheel.

See less See more
#252 · (Edited)
Not really complaining about what Dodge is doing. 392 for under 40K, great idea. 600hp (or so) SC SRT for around 60K. Fine, just don't expect to sell many, which is fine because it will be exclusive ala ZL-1 and GT500. If we are talking strictly performance for 60K though, the Corvette dominates everything for half to a quarter of the price of the exotics. When you want the baddest muscle car on the block, 60K will get you a ZL-1 or GT500 and soon something from SRT. Depends if you want a sports car or not. Too bad the Viper is just way too expensive.

#253 · (Edited)
bought a 2013 gt500 convertible this week

and i gotta tell you guys.....your an idiot if you buy a 6.2sc Challenger when they come out.....i assume it will be $55,000 to $60,000.....and lets assume 575 hp

at best it may be as fast as a ZL1(which isnt that impressive)....there's no way it will handle like a ZL1

now back to the Shelby...i got a fully loaded Convertible for $64,500.....
here's the comparison to my 2011 SRT

Recaro seats $ 1,500 option make my $2,000 IE seats look like they were made in a highschool shop clase
Navigator makes the the Challengers look like an Atari 2600.....once you see how good it can get you;ll see Dodge give you junk......i always wondered why my wifes $100 garmen looks better than my Challengers
Engine....you'd spend $55-60k on an engine made in Mexico????? WTF....my 5.8sc is HANDMADE!!!! here in the USA
Interior--very similar in quality...i think the GT500 has better door panels and a more sporty dash
Interior space: w/ the recaro's i actually have more head room than my 392 Challenger...back seat room is slightly less, but the seats are DEEP...my kids actually fit better in the gt500.....Width...well yea the Challenger wins there
Performance: there's no way the 6.2sc will ever come close to the 662hp gt500...because of the Viper they wont allow itI
Adjustable steering: 3 modes on the gt500...
screen between the gauges: gt500 has 3-4x more options, and its easier to use....once again makes the Dodge look like its got a Atari 2600 in the dash
Stereo: I have the high end stereo in my IE....Fords actually sounds good....huge improvement

i drove my gt500 from NH back to WI the other day....11.5 hours on the road 1 of the days...i was every bit as comfortable as i am in my Challenger....the Recaro's are a must have

I love my Challenger.....i think its the best looking hard top out there....now that i own a gt500 i realize more how Dodge makes a B-grade product....ive always believed it, but now im more sure than ever

you can get a stripped gt500 convertible for the High $50's......1. ITS a CONVERTIBLE!, 2. its MORE HP than Dodge's 6.2hellcat 3. Its more rare and exclusive (880 made in 2013) 4. engine HAND MADE BY AMERICANS 5. IT GETS MORE LOOKS AND COMPLIMENTS THAN MY IE!!

buying a 6.2sc Hellcat Challenger is just stupid.. ....for the same $$ you can get the king of the road

im keeping my Challenger.....so im not trying to trash it horribly....its a great car for $40k-$45k.....but if your considering paying $55-60 your out of your mind...check out the gt500 and what it offers for the same price point..........

#254 ·
The GT500 is a hell of a car, but isn't it kind of difficult to compare it to another car that does not exist yet? The comparison will be interesting and a bowtie/blue oval/pentastar three-way test is most definitely in the cards.

#255 ·
I am not here to bash one model or the next. And I like Dodge, Ford, and Chevrolet. And I have owned them all. And , in my opinion, they all have something to offer that is different or better than the next. But also, in my opinion, the Recaro seats are too narrow for larger people. I have sat in a hand full of new Sheby's with the Recaro seats and they just don't feel comfortable to me. At over six feet tall and north of 250 pounds the stock Shelby seats suit me better. I would be proud to own any of the three, Challenger, ZL1, and Shelby. To me it is a matter of which one I feel brings the best all around package. I am excited that we have these great cars to choose from. I have been through the late 70'S AND 80'S when there was little to be excited about. Part of the fun is test driving these cars, studying them, and then deciding which is best for you. And I have to say that I can't wait to see what the Hellcat brings!

#265 ·
Maybe calling people an idiot if they buy the new 6.2 is respectable in your book, but not in mine. Maybe Huggy has a new nice ride, but has no right to talk smack about people that are contemplating about buying a car that doesn't even exist at this point. Kinda ironic...if you think about it:stickpoke:

#257 · (Edited)
I'm not trying to start a war here but Dodge doesn't have a good track record with this sort of thing. They will release something that will be overpriced and underpowered or at the best it will be top of the ladder until Chevrolet or Ford update these models. Seriously, these cars arent getting any younger. They will be updated and pushing even more power. Dodge needs to drop the blower idea. Turbocharge it. A set of twin turbos would make for better power, top end performance, and easier updates. I don't like the idea that the HellCat will be outdone in a matter of time.

#262 ·
I don't like the idea that the HellCat will be outdone in a matter of time.
I am of the opinion that ultimately no matter what Dodge, Ford, or Chevy puts out that is considered top end ultimately will be one upped by one of their competitors at some point. I have to believe that each manufacturer is continuously push to find ways to stay with or exceed the competition's product in the market. While the horsepower wars continue customers will benefit, although I do wonder if we are getting close to the "ceiling" of getting high HP cars for under $60k. The GT500 seriously shows that with 662 at less than $60k.

#259 · (Edited)
With cost vs horsepower being constantly debated... it just seems the more realistic (cost and horsepower) to put a supercharger on the engine people currently own. As we've stated, there's not much to improve on the Challenger's styling, and from a performance standpoint, the Challenger is maxed out with the parts available from Chrylser.

In comparison of parts to the other two,

The 392's engine is currently outperformed by the other 2.

The 392's suspension is outperformed by the ZL1 yet better than the Mustang.

The 392's brakes are on par with the other two.

The 392's weight is heavier than the other two.

The interesting part is that all 3 vehicles are very track capable and all that we are really debating is legendary bragging rights. It's definitely a nice feeling to get that "oooo" factor from spectators but in the end, you have to stay true to what you like and what gets your adrenaline rushing. If that's a Mustang or ZL1, then off you go.

I've found myself, many a time, considering an SRT8 Charger. At least then when someone calls my Challenger a Charger, I won't have to get all worked up about it.

Buy what appeals to you; complain what you can't afford.

#268 ·
That's a nice summary of the cars and what people buy them for. I don't agree with those that tell others they should have bought something else because it has n-HP more or handles better, weighs less, etc. We all buy cars for a variety of reasons. For me, the Challenger is the better car than either the Mustang or Camaro, regardless of HP, weight, handling, etc. I found that I have to have that "wow" factor when walking up to my car every day after work, and the Challenger does it for me. My 07 Corvette did it for me as well. My 05 GTO, bored me to death and it didn't last long.

A Mustang, even 1 with 662HP does nothing for me. Its "just" a Mustang to me, and having a ridiculous amount of unusable HP means nothing to me. The Challenger to some is "just" another Dodge, and is nothing special. Majority of us on here don't think so, as they are special to most of us. I love my SRT. Almost 2 years now, and I still love driving this car every day. Definitely 1 of my best cars to date I've owned. I've sat in Mustangs and Camaros, and the Camaro interior is an abomination and as for the Mustang, it just doesn't "wow" me at all. But I can understand those that do like them, and great for them.

As for the hellcat, it'll be too much money and late to the game and without additional improvements, not worth it to me in the end. I'd buy another 392 for mid-40s easily, but I'm not going over $50K for any of these types of cars.

#261 · (Edited)
i tell it like it is

im 200lbs 6' tall...i can see the recaro's not fitting well if you weigh 250

just because i havent blown up my engine yet doesnt mean a Mexican engine made in an assembly line is equal to the gt500's HAND MADE by Americans are even close to comparable....im showing what your getting for the buck

im not ripping on the 392 SRT Challenger.....i own one...and love it..

im ripping on the Hellcat 6.2sc before it even arrives...because we all know what it will do....most likely equal the zl1 ......its not possible for it to compete with the gt500...dodge wont let it

i have always heard the 'weight' issue tossed around...my gt500 convertible is 3,950lbs....not much less than the Challenger

i just want people to think about what else is out there....i personally have 0 interest in the 6.2sc....because it wont be worth the $$ when compared to the competition...im not trying to be an a-hole....im trying to help you see the light

and as far as dis'ing other brand names ...i see people constantly bad mouth Mustangs and Camaro's....on the gt-500 forums they dont even bring up the Challenger...its all about the Zl1....the Challenger isnt even in their thoughts....and when the 6.2sc comes out that may change, but most likely not

#267 ·
I think the largest benefit of putting out the 6.2L is getting more power in the upper RPM band. The current 392 has plenty of torque to get the Challenger moving, but as I've said before, the lacking part is getting it to move quick once you are already going.

#271 ·
If they do a HellCat core edition for about $40k then there will be one in my driveway but only if it thrills me according my driving style. Having driven a 2013 GT500, I'll say it was **** fast but unusable. Anything below 50mph was scary and with the TC on, it was unusable. I was enjoying driving the hell out of it but I would spend far too much time in traffic court.

#272 ·
Makes me wonder if they are going to replace the current srt engine with the new sc version, or keep the core with the current engine and offer up the sc version in the optioned srt with a 2k bump in sticker price? Thats what I would do.

And about the 13gt500, I have a somewhat different opinion...I don't think the power is what made it scary for you. The power was very manageable for me, even with the stock tires (although dr are a must on it) and felt like an older 03 Kenne Bell Cobra at about 25pounds... What I HATE about the new 13gt500 is the horrible suspension. It is very unsettled, even going straight I hated it. To be fair I dont have any time behind the wheel of one with the pp suspension so maybe thats better, but I doubt its worth the option price. I would get a set of coilovers and try that....maybe that would help. I say good riddance to the current Mustang and hope they concentrate on a better platform and overall suspension setup with the new model.

#276 ·
dun4791 said:
Makes me wonder if they are going to replace the current srt engine with the new sc version, or keep the core with the current engine and offer up the sc version in the optioned srt with a 2k bump in sticker price?
Do not know the future of the Core Challenger -- but RS has mentioned that the 392 will stay in the SRT line-up and the 6.2L SC HellCat will be a special edition motor

#279 · (Edited)
While i support the Supercharge addition AKA "Hellcat", some of you are still in the belief that this uber SRT8 will be sold for around $40K. I hate to be the one to rain on your parade by telling you this but you are living in a fantasy world if you actually think that a new 14 SRT8 Supercharged Challenger will go for that cheap. Using the 13 SRT8 as a model which goes for high 40's - low 50's the addition of a supercharger should add about 8-10 grand on top of the car as it sits right now. In other words, the cost of the SRT8 will be undoubtably going up not down as many of y'all are wishing, hoping & praying it will. Just remember Dodge is in the business to make money, not to give these cars away to cash strapped but well intended enthusiasts. The only way you'll be buying a 14 SRT8 Hellcat for $40k or less is when its been sitting of the used car lot and the year is 2016/2017. As for me I'm thinking a 13 with 470hp even if its only at the flywheel is more then plenty hp for me. Sometimes you got to when to say when or as Clint Eastwood said in Magnum Force, "a man's got to know his limitation's"!

#286 ·
Originally Posted by conceptmachine
I love convertables, but in my honest opinion, the newer body style stang convertible is one of the wost looking I've seen. I prefere the hardtop over the convertible there. Just looks bad IMO, but if you like it, thats great, and thats all that matters.

550 HP... Its gotta have more than that...if it doesn't, I'll keep what I got.
Then you'll probably like this one-of-one "White Interior" 2008 Shelby 427 GT500 Convertible ... it's the older body style. Tuned by Shelby for 585 HP w/stock SuperCharger and NO pulleys.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Supercar
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Police car Emblem

#287 ·
Originally Posted by conceptmachine
I love convertables, but in my honest opinion, the newer body style stang convertible is one of the wost looking I've seen. I prefere the hardtop over the convertible there. Just looks bad IMO, but if you like it, thats great, and thats all that matters.

550 HP... Its gotta have more than that...if it doesn't, I'll keep what I got.
Then you'll probably like this one-of-one "White Interior" 2008 Shelby 427 GT500 Convertible ... it's the older body style. Tuned by Shelby for 585 HP w/stock SuperCharger and NO pulleys.

View attachment 62516 View attachment 62517 View attachment 62519
I like this body style, beautiful car in classic Shelby colours. The new ones are ugly compared to these, especially the tail lights and rear end.

#294 ·
Convertibles are a complete waste where I live and never look as good as their hardtop brethren. They are structurally inferior to a coupe and are heavier. For people who complain about the 392's weight but buy a convertible have no room to talk weight. Granted the GT500 is still lighter as a convertible than the 392, but it is still a relatively heavy car for what it is. The styling is still clearly better on the Challenger. The interior materials are about the same, but the Mustang has better electronics and a more interesting interior. For the money, I can see the argument. 60K gets you 662hp. That's about it. The Mustang sells based on its LOW price. If you take the car as a whole, it is just an okay CAR. The engine is awesome, but everything that surrounds it is well, OLD. Yes, a solid rear axle is a joke these days no matter how engineered it is. If the Challenger put out similar HP for the money and offered a convertible option, Huggy would have bought one. I think Dodge has nothing to fill this niche market, and they won't either because of the Viper. 6.2L will have 600hp at best with no convertible offered. If they update the styling/interior, one could make the argument for the Challenger over the GT500, but unfortunately the Challenger is still more about styling over substance. It kind of always has been, and I'm okay with that. I bought the Challenger over the others because it was more about emotion - the way the car made me feel while driving it. It was like going back in time to an era I never lived in. The others, while better performing, did not do this for me.

#302 ·
The Mustang sells based on its LOW price. If you take the car as a whole, it is just an okay CAR. The engine is awesome, but everything that surrounds it is well, OLD. Yes, a solid rear axle is a joke these days no matter how engineered it is. If the Challenger put out similar HP for the money and offered a convertible option, Huggy would have bought one. I think Dodge has nothing to fill this niche market, and they won't either because of the Viper. 6.2L will have 600hp at best with no convertible offered. If they update the styling/interior, one could make the argument for the Challenger over the GT500, but unfortunately the Challenger is still more about styling over substance. It kind of always has been, and I'm okay with that. I bought the Challenger over the others because it was more about emotion - the way the car made me feel while driving it. It was like going back in time to an era I never lived in. The others, while better performing, did not do this for me.
During a recent Chrysler ad they claimed that the Challenger was the lowest cost V8 sports car. Incredulous at first I checked. Low and behold, you can get a base V8 Hemi R/T for less than a V8 Mustang or V8 Camaro. By a few $k. The story may not stay the same once you start optioning--but there it is. We can no longer complain that Chrysler is not trying to compete on price as well.

#295 ·
^^^Same here Stealth. I was born in 70 so I missed the first go around. The Challenger makes me feel like I caught the second go around. The Camaro and Mustang are bad ass cars in their own right, but for me, dont pull on that nostalgia heart string. Ill take that over a few tenths and a few multicolored dash lights anyday of the week.

#296 ·
yes i would have bought a Challenger convertible instead if it had 662 hp for $64,500 and did 0-60 in 3.5 seconds

the Shelby Convertible weighs just 100lbs more than the hard top

you cant get the track pack on the convertible, but you can get the performance pack

Challenger is the better looking car when it comes to gt500 hard top vs Challenger....but as a convertible i think it looks even better than the Challenger....i love convertibles

as far as future collectable the Shelby 5.8sc will be more desirable than the 392 or 6.2sc most likely...Dodge says there putting the 6.2sc into everything...its not going to be a limited engine......while the 5.8sc is most likely dead for the 14.5 mustang revise(it wont fit most likely since the Mustang gets smaller)......only around 7,000 5.8sc will have been built.....how many Hemi's were built in 69,70,71???

5.8sc could be something special in 40 years after im dead....the next owner may have a gold mine when he buys mine in 20-30 years for $10,000

#300 ·
I'll add this, the 2014 6.2L SC will be available for a great deal - when the refreshed 2015 car debuts a year later.

Folks that dont wish to pay anything near sticker can have that to look forward to. And I assume there will be more than a few that go from marked up to heavily marked down at the drop of a hat.

#304 ·
Yeah.....no, that's ugly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.