Dodge Challenger Forum banner

6spd outselling the Auto ATM!!!

30K views 240 replies 77 participants last post by  CJ 10 SRT 
#1 ·
#6 ·
As I said before, my auto 08 srt8 was nice...I steered that car,but my 6spd 09...I DROVE that one..and loved it..I would never buy a high powered new automatic car as long as I have two good feet. By the way,I made it a point to make sure my kids could drive a manual shift...and my wife can bang gears too!

#35 ·
I would never buy a high powered new automatic car as long as I have two good feet. By the way,I made it a point to make sure my kids could drive a manual shift...and my wife can bang gears too!
Sounds like you have a well rounded Family. Nice.

Slammin gears is the way to go.
Unless you like playing patty-cake with steering wheel
paddle shifters.
Simmer down now Auto-Nation it was just a Joke.

#32 ·
I think most HC owners will not drag race them

They will be Sunday drivers. You can build a fast track car for far less $$$. I believe they bought the Manuals for pleasurable driving, and re-sale value. Manual muscle and sports cars typically have higher resale value (This may change). The GT500 was only offered in M6 because the car was designed for serious drivers.

#17 ·
If the auto were a full second quicker in the 1/4, I'd still get the manual. I guess people are starting to see the light.

I feel there should be more to driving fast than just pushing the pedal really hard. Feels like a watered down version, imo.

Hmm... we needed another auto vs manual thread.

#22 ·
Eventually it will likely be like 60/40 in favor of the auto I'd bet...first couple order rounds are enthusiasts...Viper owners...old school guys that want to shift and not so much drag race and get that half second from the auto. But once these are out and more and more people want them I think the news of the 8 speed auto's efficiency and quickness will take over and more will pick up one with the 8 speed. And I'll still be shifting my 6 speed and loving it. Our poll of orders here shows 70% auto on 125 orders...this article shows 45% auto (and I think there were what 400 order spots round one?) so doesn't really add up.

#24 ·
Not that I will ever own/afford a Hellcat but a manual will make ANY car more of a 'driver's car" than an automatic. Control and feedback are what makes driving a car so much more fun. That said, if you want the best times at the track, the automatic is a no brainer.

#25 ·
Kind of surprised by this actually. That new 8 spd in the hellcat is an absolutely beast. If I had the finances to own a Hellcat, it'd be 8 spd all day long.

Reactions: vichris
#34 · (Edited)
To be fair...a Manual GT500 is way different than a manual Hellcat lol Heck...there is a Manual GT500 in the 8s...I haven't seen any built 6 speed Challengers come close - all are autos or converted to auto.

I am sure the Manual Hellcat will be a fun car to drive - just not something I personally would purchase :)

#36 · (Edited)
My dad taught me to drive a manual when I was 13.
When I got my first car (70 442) he made sure it was a manual.

I've never looked back. Nothing like raking gears. I love the track but I'm not a bracket racer. Thanks dad!.

I will pass it along to my kids when they start driving in about 10 years!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#37 · (Edited)
My first three challengers were automatic's. Last two including current SRT8 were manuals. The challenger is the only performance car I'm ok with in having an automatic. The manuals have one distinct issue that has made it a no go on a manual for the hellcat for me: Wheel Hop. Hated it when in Corvette land and hate in Challenger land.

With that said I will admit that to date the manual trans Challengers have been funner to drive. But I plan on taking mine to the drag strip here and there and I plan on going up against my buddy's Nismo GTR which he will have delivered on the 24th of this month. I need consistency. Just not going to happen in the 6-speed car.

#41 ·
True the 6 speed is MUCH tougher to master and takes a lot more practice.
But don't count yourself out-- you can become pretty consistent in it.
I don't profess to be a pro by any stretch- buy I think I'm pretty consistent with mine.

Always makes my heart race a little more when im tight gripping the shifter lined up, thinking every move and shift. Blown shift-- my bad-- I lose the race. Lots of practice and skill involved.
Makes it more exciting.
I'm not one to mess with radio, maybe adjust my seat and the ac while the car drives me in a race.
Just me .02

#52 ·
Do "real men" even drive "Lambos" and Ferraris? Lol
All joking aside- who cares??

For those that want to be planted to the road and hone their skills (try heel and toe shifting on a challenging road) get the manual.
If you want to sit back and flip the paddles get an auto.
Some don't have the skill to drive a manual and some don't care to.

That's why we have 2 choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.