Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Canceled my Hellcat order today.

78K views 432 replies 112 participants last post by  2quik6 
#1 ·
It's time to vote with my dollars and show FCA that they have done nothing but drop the ball on the entire
Hellcat rollout. Their latest release just proves that FCA does not give a **** about the customer or sold orders
and they are going to chastise dealers who took sold orders at MSRP.

I emailed Bob and he got back me as quickly as always, within 10-15 minutes and he's sad that I had to go this
route but he understands. I really wanted to buy a car from Bob but it appears FCA is going to do anything in
their power do dick over anyone they can.

That's ok FCA, you have shown your hand and I will take my money elsewhere. Not sure what my next ride will
be, but it won't be anything you offer.

I won't be spending much more time on the SRT part of the forums. I will still participate in the off topic section
but I will likely be dumping my Toxic for another brand as soon as the weather clears up.

Good luck to all of those waiting and congrats to all of those who were fortunate enough to get a Hellcat and
not get bent over a barrel without lube.

See less See more
#231 ·
mjb4450

I am sure he would eventually get his car, unfortunately when some one takes orders of what was said of 350 cars from one dealer and dealers will only receive 1 to 5 cars per month, it will take a long time before one would receive their vehicle. Longer than one may want to wait for. I do not beleive FCA changed the rules I feel the dealers were taking advantage. My dealer explained it quite clearly in the beginning that they would be limited on quantities of cars.

P.S. just my opinion, and yes I am a bad speller, sorry. I am used to spelling the other word. lol

#232 · (Edited)
I also had 2 different dealers tell me before the order bankes opened that the wait for them to get my car would be longer than they were comfortable with and they would not even take my order at that time. I then figured out exactly how the allocation process was set to roll out, and found a dealer in my home state with allocations, ordered, and received Challenger Hellcat #283 at MSRP I might ad. I am very grateful to those other 2 dealers for playing straight with me on what they knew about the roll-out. This process was spelled out crystal clear from the beginning.

#233 ·
Here we go folks, a CT member with a little luck, and "justification" for spending over the MSRP.

The old saying holds true..............."money talks, and BS walks" LOL

What I get a laugh out of, are the posts "chastizing him" for paying over sticker.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f290/new-today-331130/

#235 ·
The old saying holds true..............."money talks, and BS walks" LOLhttp://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f290/new-today-331130/
There are no truer words spoken....... It's life 101.

I also don't understand what the problem is with some stranger you've never met, deciding that 5-10-50 grand over MSRP is fine with him?? Like, who cares?

You never know what tomorrow is going to bring, and THAT guy is driving around NOW in the car that makes him happy.

As for "rules" "allocation promises" etc etc....see Life 101

Reactions: Bad daytona
#236 · (Edited)
This paying $5 K to $10 K over MSRP already happened when the first Challengers came out. People got ripped off. People got bent over and jammed up the wazoo waiting months to get one. Sometimes 9 months. A few years later people were dumping 6.1s faster than dumping a red headed stepchild in a catholic orphanage because the 392s came out. The people who bought 11's new..often times paid more than I did for my 14 three years later. I called the Dodge dealer in 09, and was quoted outrageous prices. Pissed me off so bad that I didn't buy a Challenger until 2013.

I will get a Hellcat. Might wait 2-3 years. Might be used or new. But I will NOT pay MSRP. Both mine were acquired for me much LESS.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: baron95 and Toxic11
#238 ·
This paying $5 K to $10 K over MSRP already happened when the first Challengers came out. People got ripped off. People got bent over and jammed up the wazoo waiting months to get one. http://www.autoguide.com/mobile
C/D/J has a looooong history of doing this to customers. The Challenger certainly isn't the first for this to happen
with. It happened with the 300's the PT Cruiser, the JGC's, the Vipers, the SRT10 Ram's and probably even the
Charger. So why is there this repetitive history of this happening with C/D/J and it only rarely happens with
Ford or GM? Or do I just not pay enough attention to Ford and GM to know better?

I remember when I bought my Millennium Yellow 2000 Corvette Z51 I walked in and bought it... There were no
backed up lines of people waiting, there were no massive price gouges nor were there any allocation schemes.

Granted I didn't buy the first model year of the C5 but my friend did, and he didn't even pay sticker for his
97!

#240 ·
He might be. I predict I'll have a Hellcat at a few grand below MSRP. Might not get it until 16 or 17....meanwhile I'll be blowing the doors off RICER's in illegal street races.

Reactions: 715racing
#246 ·
Sorry to see you give up. I also wanted a sunroof, I have one now on my 2012 header orange SRT. But I cancelled it so I could get this iconic car. Also wanted header or Hemi Orange, but got and fell in love with Sublime. Also refused to pay over MSRP, and wound up paying 3K under MSRP to a dealer that had NO allocation, and supposedly no hopes of getting any. Yes it is a great deal, but anyone who wants to be PATIENT, can buy from Melton's for under MSRP. Rayazoo is next on their list, and hopeful will get a VIN in March. I didn't get my VIN untill last month after a 3 year wait on a supercharged motor I heard was coming. I had thought about canceling in Jan ( due to the allocation mess) but am so glad I didnt, as my Hellcat will be here before the end of the month. ( the build was finished today says SRT!). So I will drive and race this incredible car for a year or two, and then if I HAVE to have a sunroof I will trade or go to the aftermarket. I just don't understand giving up because you can't get a sunroof, but you can do what you want. I personally think that you will be in a Hellcat sometime in the next 12 months. I think Bob is a great guy who got caught between a rock and a hardplace. . He is a class act, and will always do the right thing. I missed out on a Hemi Barracuda in the late sixties, I refuse to miss out on this car. No ford or Chevy could ever take the place of a Hellcat!

#247 ·
I didn't want an aftermarket sunroof I've gone that route in the past and was never satisfied. I made the
concession when I bought my 300C without a sunroof and I missed it like crazy! I am one of the few who
actually uses the hole in the roof and enjoys it. To me, the lack of it was as bad as the lack of color choices.

Who knows.. Maybe Tim and Crew will reflect over this 2015 fiasco and make it right and if they do then I
may be back for 2016. It's hard for me to say right now what I am going to do. I love the car I have now and
there are tons of aftermarket goodies for the 2011's so I can certainly wring some more power out of it. I
can't see being "Challengerless" I love my Challenger too much... I am torn there is no doubt.. On the one
hand I am super pissed at how this has been handled but on the other hand I just can't see much of anything
else out there I want to spend my money on other than a Vette or something I can't afford! :)

Reactions: smitman
#249 · (Edited)
This is a long thread and I read it for a while when it started but after many pages I thought about going back to the top for a bit.
Just how many folks did cancel their order? Was the order canceled a real one? Or was it a --promise-- to order?
As we all have come to understand waiting in line to order is somewhat different than having a placed order that has been allocated to the dealer.
I chose several months ago to not jump in line for a show that may not open and did not want to have a promise by me limit my options.
So my question is like the original post with the exception being did any one have a car with a vin coming and cancel that order?

#250 ·
I am not keeping track in this thread but it seems to me like three or four of us have canceled orders. My order
had a VON# nothing more.

#255 · (Edited)
Friend of mine ordered a new Z06/Z07 automatic last month and put down $2k. Dealer first told him June delivery. Last weekend he told him to expect it end of 2016! Unless of course he puts down a substantial down payment as a commitment (talking tens of thousands of dollars). Then they could pull in the delivery date. It is called supply & demand, opportunity and greed... It's not called Dodge or GM dealerships, it is called human nature. :(

#256 ·
That's certainly not the experience of most of the people who are getting the Z06/Z07.

I bet your friend is paying MSRP so I don't see the greed, opportunity or comparison to the Hellcat mess.

Have him try another GM dealer like Kerbeck ..

They get plenty of allocation and sell for MSRP.

#257 ·
True, I think at first they wanted a little markup but he did get them down to MSRP. Ok, you are right, not greed just more demand for a while... But if some dealers have a lot more cars doesn't the same allocation game come into play?

#260 · (Edited)
Allocation still applies, but the point is that the dealers that get the most Z06/Z07's, sell at MSRP or at a discount.........and they are also moving and delivering those cars.

Meanwhile the FCA dealers that get the most Hellcats mark them up BIG.
And they are sitting on lots for the most part gathering dust.

#258 ·
This whole idea seems so damn silly. It is clearly illogical to blame the manufacturer for retailers jacking prices up, due to absurdly high demand. Guess what...they are selling the hellcats. And they are selling them for large amounts of $ OVER MSRP (The "s" stands for SUGGESTED). They cannot control what a dealer charges for a car. You're taking it personal when it ought not be. The logical thing to do would be to hold off and let the frenzy die down a bit and then try your hand at getting what you want. Or you could stomp your feet and blame someone who isn't responsible for your problems and claim they're dead to you. Surely it's your call but it just seems like such a waste to swear off an entire company over something that extremely high demand, low supply, and unethical retailers are responsible for.

#286 · (Edited)
That mean old Dodge.I want it now!!

===============
I think we can all agree that what has happened both in terms of price-gouging and the shaking out of too many MSRP orders has been aggravating for many. I can say, having been screwed in both scenarios, that I would not mind a better 'consumer experience' to put it mildly. Your comment and posted picture tells me you are not affected by all this, and are sort of enjoying the un-folding. There is a word for that type of person, you know?

#281 ·
FCA is not the problem.
Tim K is not the problem.
Dealers BS the costumer taking their Deposits knowing Dam well they don't have Allocation Is The Problem!

#285 ·
Have to disagree. It was about allocation, eliminating unscrupulous dealers, units sold,cars sitting in showrooms,etc. Seems to me FCA backwalked on what had orinally been promised ( " .... Hellcat made for every order...." ) for whatever reason. I think if you read the comment from the president (Arrica?) of the dealer mafia assoc. you'll read something so ridiculouly hypocritical that I thought it was sarcasm.Now Cats are advertised for ridiclous prices and sitting at dealers.
I'm not giving up on FCA, I'm just gonna go after that 1990 Yugo calling out to me.

#283 ·
vmcchris...if Bob Frederick is "not part of a dealership and not part of Dodge", how in the hell is he taking orders, and how is he submitting them to the factory? I didn't realize Joe Average, on the street, could order cars from Dodge and then resell them. I thought one had to go through a Dealership?
I'm so confused...

#287 ·
Since I'm not that busy, just watching my global warming try to melt, I was wondering how many buyers had multiple orders placed with different dealers and could this have contributed to the allocation problem.

If anybody wants to sell their 'Cat, I am wiiling to bail them out. Of course it's used now so, like a dealer I can offer Bluebook wholesale. PM me if I can help.

:x:x:x

#294 ·
Dealer called and emailed. Has Cat will sell. Said they bought from dealer in Arizona for $8K over MSRP ( I googled the VIN their name popped up ). He'll "let" it go for ........wait...... drumroll please.........$78k, just so they can make $ 1K on deal.
Do I look stoopid? Is there a sign on my back saying kick me? I might have been born at nite but it wasn't last nite. Seems to me FCA nailed it with their new allocation system.

:surprise:

#295 ·
The market for these cars is working as a market does.
As long as their are those that will pay mark up they will be priced that way.
Let's say every dealer could order 10 cars per month and get them. I would think the markup would go away quickly.
The production rate is what it is and for whatever reason.
Until cars are sitting unsold the asking price will reflect the selling value.
I am frustrated as are many others. We can create in our minds a planned effort to piss us off but I think that is unlikely to be the case.
I am a simple person and see things in a simple way. I see the demand for this car as exceeding expectation. In order to meet the demand time has to pass.

#296 · (Edited)
Don't know why people are allowed to post things like "you got your head up your butt" on this forum. Needs better moderation. We all know that keyboard commandos are tough guys who wouldn't talk like this if they had to face someone and look them in the eye. Why allow it here?

#297 ·
We can't possibly read every post here and I just happened upon your post. We do allow differing opinions including strongly debating a position and we encourage this. Where we have a problem is when it turns into personal attacks and insults. If you have a problem with any post we have a report a post feature. This will alert all staff to take a look. Look for the exclamation (!) icon below all the poster's name/avatar etc and the corresponding post in question.

Bernie

Sent from a phoney AutoGuide.com App

#300 · (Edited)
One things for sure Toxic, you can a have started some long lasting threads with a lot of spirited debate.You have put a lot of time and effort into this journey.It disturbs me when you say you may buy a Porsche or Vette.
We need you man!
Don't look at it as a road block,Its a speed bump.Just have to slow down a bit then take off again.
May be a good thing,first year run and all.There's already been a recall,fuel line problem,and the twisted drveshaft deal,maybe some other things.They will be able to address the issues,the excitement will die down,some of the alocation problems will be addressed,and the crooked dealers won't be able to hold us over a barrel. (I have no love for car dealers of any brand,most are unscrupulous cheats)
Take a breath,patience!All of you!
Remember what the old folks would say.Good things come to he who waits.

And inspite of what someone tried to imply,I'm glad for the members who have a HC.Even if they paid over MSRP,they know what's good for them.I wish everyone on the forum could have one.If they say they do or not,they really do.I have a lot of faults,but envy is not one of them.
Best of luck to everyone in your attempts to obtain your dream!

#301 ·
@Bad daytona ,

No doubt I certainly seem to stir the pot! LOL

I am not running out and buying a new vehicle just yet, so I am not leaving the fray. I can't say what I will
do in the future but for now I think I am just going to continue to be thankful for what I have and enjoy it.
And since I am not trading toxie in, I guess it's time to do some more mods :)

Reactions: Bad daytona
#302 ·
@Bad daytona ,

No doubt I certainly seem to stir the pot! LOL

I am not running out and buying a new vehicle just yet, so I am not leaving the fray. I can't say what I will
do in the future but for now I think I am just going to continue to be thankful for what I have and enjoy it.
And since I am not trading toxie in, I guess it's time to do some more mods :)

Now you're talking! Supercharger...:)

#304 ·
I can understand canceling your order with Bob and wanting your deposit back. Times are tough now. I'm sure you'll get back on your feet in no time. Just hang in there. And if you need to sell Toxie, we won't blame you. Hang in there and hold your head up brother.

Huh??? Times aren't tough for me... I just got my yearly Bonus and a nice 3% raise :) (And yes I am very fortunate!)

Though I will admit I did just drop 4 large on a wrist watch that I've wanted for a long time... That put a small
dent in the savings account :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.