Dodge Challenger Forum banner

FACTS about the next allocation...

23K views 107 replies 45 participants last post by  Supercharged_Fun 
#1 ·
For those of us in limbo, VIN-less, I thought it might be helpful to collect reliable information on the next allocations to dealers in one thread.

We could start with when this will happen, and whether we'd expect to see the same scale and distribution of allocations to our local dealerships... i.e., my local guy got a single allocation before, is there any reason to believe he'll get anything greater this time around?

Thanks in advance for your contributions, especially those of you "in the know"...

Rich

#3 ·
Automotive News
September 9, 2014 - 8:00 am ET

DETROIT -- Dodge will open dealer ordering for its new 707-hp 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat today, but the brand is changing its normal allocation methods to make sure the high-powered coupe gets into the hands of waiting enthusiasts.

Dodge will base Hellcat dealer allocation on the total number of Dodge vehicles a dealer has sold within the last 180 days, including everything from Dart to Durango to Viper, brand head Tim Kuniskis said.

In December, a second allocation calculation will be made based on the previous 90-days’ sales performance, as well as a traditional 30-day inventory turn.

The dealer allocation for the Challenger Hellcat rewards the dealers “that are selling the Dodge brand,” Kuniskis said. “You sell a lot of Darts for me, Journeys for me, Durangos for me, I’m going to give you the rights to this one, too, because this is a halo of the brand.”

After the initial allocation, Dodge will also begin to measure the Hellcat’s days-on-lot and use it as a factor to determine the number of Challenger SRT Hellcats a dealer will get, Kuniskis said.

The longer a Hellcat sits without being sold -- as it might if it were to have a $10,000 or $20,000 market adjustment on it -- relative to those on other dealer lots, the fewer future Hellcat vehicles a dealer will receive, the Dodge brand boss explained.

“It’s going to be a nightmare, but I think it’s the right thing to do,” Kuniskis said, adding that he has no issue with market pricing, and said dealers have a right to do so.

#4 ·
So it is based on the number of DODGE vehicles sold, not the number of Chrysler brand vehicles, right? Which probably hurts some of the metropolitan California dealerships for example. They sell a lot of Jeeps and RAMs. But not as many Dodges and Chryslers...

Reactions: RANGERMAN
#7 ·
Here are the facts, and it's been posted before on a different thread:

 Hellcat
o Initial allocation is for three months of production (Oct, Nov & Dec)
o Allocation is based on last 180 days of Dodge sales
 Future allocation calculations will be based off of 90 day Dodge sales and will include Hellcat availability
o No reserve/no allocation shifts
o Open to order for all Dodge dealers, not just SRT
o Sold orders without allocation, or above allocation, will not be guaranteed for scheduling
o Scheduling will not start until 9/11
o PSP will be available for Oct, Nov & Dec
o Next allocation will be in December

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f290/hellcat-allocations-259602/

#8 ·
I was kinda hoping for a little more details, whenever they come up... such as early vs. late December?

Hard to imagine that any dealership would suddenly spike their Dodge sales (relative to other dealers) in the last three months, compared to the numbers that were used for the initial allocation distribution. So I'd expect that the same dealerships would again get multiple allocations.

The question is how large the total December allocation pool will be, compared to September...

#9 ·
There are some dealers, like one local in Indianapolis that were allocated 2 and they are stock vehicles in which the dealer is asking $15K over sticker, that may not get allocation in December if those are not sold. I hope that is true and smaller dealers like the one in MI that I am dealing with that got one allocation and it is sold the moment it drops, will get at least one allocation in December, which is mine.

#11 ·
as i was having my jeep serviced today i was talking to the sales manager. He said to call him on Dec 2nd he should know by then if he can get another hellcat built. I assume this means that's when they will know the next allocation. They only got 1 the first round.

they will not take a deposit unless they are 100% the car will be built.

#12 ·
My dealer told me the same thing....

He was laughing with me because he said the first few guys paid 10K over MSRP and they probably wont have their cars much longer than me @ MSRP...LMAO >:)

#13 ·
But we know what it is NOT: a limited production car, Dodge has stated this already. They EXPECT to sell around 3000, but if more are ordered, they will build them. This has been stated numerous times in various interviews with the Dodge CEO and other threads here. If your dealer sucks, they won't get more allocated. But, I do not think allocation = that is all they can recieve. If a customer orders one, that is not part of their allocation number. So, to be safe, find a good dealer, place your order there.

#14 ·
If your dealer sucks, they won't get more allocated. But, I do not think allocation = that is all they can recieve. If a customer orders one, that is not part of their allocation number. So, to be safe, find a good dealer, place your order there.
And that brings up a good question. If you order one and your dealer is not allocated it, does that mean you just sit there in a status because the dealer didn't do well? Is allocation really only attached to the dealer orders of unsold Hellcats, except for in these first few runs where everyone had to have one? After the initial craze dies down, if one of us were to go into a dealer with low sales and order one, what would happen?

#17 ·
from what Dodge has been saying all along it's all allocations again in December. but these allocations will be based in different circumstances than the first round. Maybe later on down the road the allocation system will be tossed?

#19 ·
Thanks for keeping speculation to a minimum, all.

If you can, when posting information please state (or link to) the Fiat/Chrysler-affiliated source.

I have a really vague understanding of how this allocation system works, honestly...

Rich

#20 ·
I gave my dealer Gerry Wood Dodge in Salisbury NC a $5K deposit in July. They called me Sept 9 and stated only autos were available. I said I'm waiting fora 6M. I currently have a 2013 SRT with some mods. 4k miles. All options.
To the point. He called me today to tell me they have an allocation and want me to come in November 6 for my order.
I assume I'm placing my order that day. That's what I was told today.
L J

#24 ·
The Skinny is 1500 first round. 1700 second round.
Allocation Allocation
If your Dealer has 0 Allocation
No Hellcat

Reactions: Paladin06
#25 ·
I'm not upset by any means. When I bought my 2013 SRT 6M it was an early build, and didn't come with launch control. I was called by a Dodge rep later that if I wanted it installed, they would need to remove the gage cluster. I opted not to.
So, not being in the first allocation isn't that big of a deal to me. I love my sunroof, and will see if I can put that option on it. If that means late availability, so be it.
Thanks for your responses.
L J

#29 ·
Just to clarify things, coming straight from a head hancho in the big D, allocation means the dealers right to place an unconfirmed order to be placed on his lot for sale, all orders that were accompanied by a bill of sale to Chrysler will be built, whether 1st or 2nd build time.

#30 ·
Thanks rigma....I sure hope that is a true statement which follows up with what dieselsc just said....I'd certainly feel better if I read that in a press report from Dodge or SRT or whoever but it does calm my fears a little. I'm fine with waiting...I'm not fine with uncertainty of never getting one.

#40 ·
Back on-topic, can a waiting customer tell anything at all from their VON?

Do lower VONs have a better likelihood of being "picked" for the next allocation?

Rich

#41 ·
as far as I know, your VON # means nothing in terms of allocation. Allocation is purely dealer driven, so when the dealer gets a slot, then you might get it depending on the pecking order with your actual dealer.

And I've been on this site for a while reading everything since August and I saw nothing about special 1st allocation markings....I'm calling BS on that one until proven wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.