Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hellcat Allocation got you down...seriously consider..

11K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  midflorida 
#1 ·
Hi All....

Like everyone else waiting for their Hellcat, I have been following various threads and am especially annoyed at the way some Dodge dealers are really screwing over those who have placed an order for a Hellcat...We are very lucky as our dealer is a friend and is LOYAL to his customers...not to his greed...and our Sublime Hellcat will be delivered to us a couple days after Chirstmas....BUT...we are also very lucky as to have the luxury to buy a 2015 392 which we ordered in August and received it the first week of October...For those who are sick of the allocation hassle, the dealership games, and who are totally frustrated by the possiblitiy of not getting a Hellcat before the end of next year...do yourself a big favor...Order a 2015 392! What you will receive is a Hellcat that doesnt come with the red key...period! The features, mechanics, even the baffled exhaust are no different than the Hellcat, with the only difference being the hood, engine, beefed up tranny, and the badging! I am not kidding when I say the 392 is amazing!!! We owned 2 2012 SRT8's and let me tell you, the 2015 SRT is night and day from the '12 when it comes to features, performance, and just about everything!! And we loved our 2012's but the '15 SRT is light years ahead of them!!

After putting about 1000 miles on our '15, I can not say enought GOOD about this car! We originally ordered TWO 2015 SRT's, with the second as a standby incase the hellcat fell thru...well, I can honestly say that we wouldnt be at all disappointed if we got a second 392 if something went wrong with our Hellcat order...and if we were experiencing the additional frustration of allocations, dealer dishonesty, and a potential long long wait to POSSIBLY never getting a Hellcat until maybe next year, we would definitly opt out of the Hellcat and pick up the second 392...they are that impressive!!

So if all this waiting and hassle to try to land a Hellcat has you down, just go and order yourself a 392...you will be saving $20K, not have the allocation crap to deal with, markup gouging to deal with, and end up with one KICK butt car!!!

I will post our comparison of the two cars when we have the Hellcat and have some post breakin miles on it...but except for the mistique and the extra ponies, I guarantee that you will see the cars go neck and neck for most everything...btw, our 392 is billet silver with black stripes, and ruby/black interior...and does it ever look MEAN from every angle..and when the exhaust baffles open up while the car is rocketing you forward...the thrill...indescribable!!!!

Regards,
Tony and Jody

See less See more
#28 ·
Brett,

I got mine earlier this week. As such, I traded the 2015 non-hellcat SRT back to my dealer. I took a 4k hit, but I had plenty of fun with that car! BUT, you are correct! The Hellcat IS worth the wait. Once I got behind the wheel of the Hellcat, there is a feeling it will be far superior over the non-hellcat. I think I got that belief because sitting behind the wheel you can see the HELLCAT hood, different than the non-hellcat of course. Additionally, before I drove off, the throttle response was instantaneous and the exhaust note is unbelievable - much more aggressive than the standard SRT. It will be the most fun you have had driving a car, I can pretty much guarantee that!

For those of you with the non-hellcat SRT (2015), you will not be disappointed, however, I recommend you DO NOT drive a Hellcat unless you plan on buying one.

Jim

#6 ·
I've been thinking of getting the 392 while I await the hellcat....but it is just so close it doesn't seem worth it. I think I'll get picked up in the January allocations (dealer sold 2 in the first round, didn't get any the 2nd round so I think he should get one in round 3....TBD....I've been 3rd in line since day 1).....I was I could know for sure that it'd be late 2015/early 2016 before I get the hellcat then I'd buy the 392 and trade it in for the hellcat....but Dodge won't really tell us whats going on so instead of me buying 2 Dodge products, I'll just wait and buy one.

#7 · (Edited)
Waiting is Great if you have a dealer with Allocation. But waiting for a dealer that is getting maybe 2 Hellcats in each allocation per Quarter just due the math that's maybe 3/4 units per year cycle. So if your in the 10-25 on the list with that dealer your chances of getting a unit, are NONE as long as the Allocation process is in effect.

Reactions: Zebug
#8 ·
challenger2 good advice for those who are tired of waiting and want the same features it's a great alternative and Dodge would prefer to put your butt's into the SRT :grin2:

#10 ·
Do you know this for sure? I have an order placed with one dealer as they tell me im 13th in line then i have another dealer that tells me im number 2 and they havent gotten there december allocations yet. They got one and sold it immediately. Both dealers are selling at msrp. I hope the allocations are more then 2 or 3.

#15 ·
Hi All....

....The features, mechanics, even the baffled exhaust are no different than the Hellcat, with the only difference being the hood, engine, beefed up tranny, and the badging! ....
Regards,
Tony and Jody
Those are the only three reasons I ordered the Hellcat. Personally I would never consider another Challenger model (not that they are bad)... I remember when there was a mule a few years back with a Viper engine in it... I thought, when that comes out, sign me up!!! Otherwise, I agree with most Magazine authors, the Challenger is nice, but always lacked the Mopar muscle that the HC delivers.

Also, that HP gain for 15k extra is a bargain, when you figure the engine is likely $25k+ in crate form. In a few months, they will have the bugs worked out and patience will pay off for most of us here.

#16 ·
There is no substitute......... Hellcat or BUST!! :grin2:

Attachments

#17 ·
Yea, not to doubt what you're saying about the 392, but ummmm,
707 Supercharged HP is a lot different than 485 HP....

Just sayin......

#20 ·
Hi All....
I will post our comparison of the two cars when we have the Hellcat and have some post breakin miles on it...but except for the mistique and the extra ponies, I guarantee that you will see the cars go neck and neck for most everything...btw, our 392 is billet silver with black stripes, and ruby/black interior...and does it ever look MEAN from every angle..and when the exhaust baffles open up while the car is rocketing you forward...the thrill...indescribable!!!!

Regards,
Tony and Jody

How about a detailed comparison between your 2012 SRT8 and your new 2015 392? Would love to read your thoughts on that.

#22 ·
I've had 3 dealers contact me (pretty much all the ones within 300 miles) saying they are up for their 2nd allocation, and can order and have it here around March, but they all want at least 10K over. Their like no one is selling them for MSRP! I'm like well that's up to you, you don't have to ask for that. I'm at the point if I could find the right combination across the country and pay msrp I would and just have it shipped but can't find that either. I assume they are all going to ask the same markup on the Charger HC too.

#23 ·
If your willing to fly then drive home Dave smith motors in Kellogg Idaho will sell you a charger hellcat at MSRP. They got or are getting I think they said 4 challenger hellcats and they have 17 people on the waiting list. They offered to order me a Charger hellcat for MSRP as soon as the order banks open. It seems that they don't have as many people who are looking for the charger at least not yet.

#26 ·
Hellcat vs. 2015 SRT non-hellcat

Your comments are correct regarding the 2015 advances over previous years, as I did what you did; ordered a billet silver with black stripes, SRT, the same day I ordered my white Hellcat. The silver Challenger was a lot of fun, and until I received the Hellcat, I would have agreed with your entire thoughts. HOWEVER, when you drive your Hellcat I'm confident your thoughts will change. The Hellcat makes the SRT 392 feel like a six cylinder! Those of you still waiting on your Ordered Hellcat, the wait will be worth it! I can attest to that! The Hellcat is, without question, the most fun vehicle I have ever driven, and I have owned plenty of muscle cars since 2010. Additionally, engineers did a great job with the exhaust note on the 392 for 2015. The Hellcat exhaust note is much more aggressive. Any questions, just ask....Mine is White, Laguna Sepia, auto...

Jim

Reactions: HemiDave1399
#29 ·
I am so JELLY over all the Hellcat owners who have taken delivery... (not Jealous really) it just stinks that those
of us that want a hole in the roof have to wait ALL the way till summer!

Congrats on taking delivery @midflorida I can't wait to see photos of the new hotness!

#30 ·
Hi Jim....first of all...it is nice to have company as far as having both! :laugh2:..now I withdraw my entire original post!!
BUT have to ask, since you have the ability to compare and we are still waitingfor our HC...(now its a 1/5 delivery..what crap!) Anyways, can you tell us how the hellcat with the BLACK key compares to the 392...all things equal...settings, launch control (if used)...Let us know what the performance is like neck to neck....I saw the posting of the differences in the gearing for the tranny and rear end, but hp and torque are virtually the same..... Do some runs with each and report back!!:nerd:

When we get our HC, I am now very anxious to do a side by side comparison!!!

#33 ·
I thought about keeping it and sending it to Arrington for performance enhancements, but financially, because I just bought the Longhorn Larime, I decided to turn it in. I am going to put my Z51 Vette up to my Hellcat at the Bradenton track...Date to be determined. I saw that sorry video, but I have to do it myself. My buddy that races cars will drive the Hellcat and I will handle the Vette. Keep the summer tires on both cars, the result will be more interesting than the video floating around. Put drag radials on the Hellcat, I'm confident the vette will be in the mirror....I will admit the vette stays planted from a stop more so than the Hellcat...but that's what makes the cat even more fun!

#32 ·
Had to go to Tacoma Dodge yesterday for some work. I had heard that they got a Hell Cat in. They said yes but gone the rest were on order paid for. Then the sales guy promptly informed me the price is $20.000 over MSRP. I said I thought you guys didn't do that ( they have several other dealer invoices posted in their showroom showing price gouges ) then I got the Hell cat is limited production bla, bla, bla.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.