Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hellcat damaged, what would you do? Suncoast

12K views 60 replies 27 participants last post by  Paladin06 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a hellcat from Suncoast dodge, in Florida.

The splitter was damaged when I took possession. I could not inspect the car before hand as I am out of state.

I did ask the sales rep to inspect the splitter as we all know on this website some cars are being damaged when unloading and loading onto the trucks.

Well, I was assured that everything was fine.

Upon arrival, i saw the splitter was in fact damaged.

By luck, the mechanic who did the PDI is a member here on this site. I asked him in a thread here if the car was damaged when he inspected it. And he said yes it was.

Well, I went back to the sales rep and told him that the splitter was damaged and the mechanic confirmed it was before I rec'd the car.

Well funny stuff follows.

The sales rep texts me as tells me the car was not damaged when it left his shop.

I went back to this website and guess what? The mechanic deleted his post admitting the car was damaged.

I then get a call from Phil Schmidt, I guess the GM there, and he says he spoke with the detailer and the mechanic and the car was not damaged when they sent it to me.

Well, I goto google, and look up the archived page where their mechanic admitted to it and I tell Phil that I have it in black and white in writing that the mechanic saw the damage.

Well then Phil starts changing his story about how it wasnt too bad or too noticeable.

I told him that wasn't the point. They damaged the car. They covered it up and lied to me.

He refused to fix it or even entertain fixing the car or the situation.

Well, I have been busy as heck the past few weeks so I havent worked on the issue. And its been icy here in North Texas, believe it or not.

But now I need a resolution.

What pisses me off is the lies and the cover up. I have the proof in writing. The mechanic admitted the damage,then tried to delete his comments.

I have never been treated like that by a company. I have bought a car from them before.

And I have had three challengers and two rams.

What would you guys do?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
They are giving you that much grief over a damaged plastic splitter?

I would gather up all the info in a nice package.

Do all your correspondence via email if you haven't already.

Then send it all to FCA with a complaint and demand for a new splitter... or a court claim will be made.

Oh........and never buy from them again.

Reactions: Supercharged_Fun
#9 ·
They are giving you that much grief over a damaged plastic splitter?
I would gather up all the info in a nice package.
Do all your correspondence via email if you haven't already.
^^BINGO!!!
Make sure you have everything in writing in case you need it down the line.
When I bought my car out of state,...this is how I did business, in case of any "Tom Foolery".
Good luck and let us know the outcome. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
The splitters on these cars can be had for less than $100, and they are jacking you around overthat amount of money? I guess they have SO many customers, they can just treat guys like you in such way that will mean you will never come back, AND you will tell all your friends to NEVER buy a car there. Seems pretty short sighted of them.

Do like the other guy said: Contact SRT, show them photos, and contact BBB, AND all of your friends! Also post your story on their Facebook page, if they have one, and on Yelp and other business websites. Meanwhile buy a new one, and save the receipt.

#5 ·
No offense and I know you got the shaft, but could you have asked the mechanic if it was OK to use his post as evidence. I mean, the guy was trying to be honest but he probably needs his job too. The bus and the mechanic being under it comes to mind. Just sayin... Good luck because they should just make that right, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

#6 ·
So his job would be in jeopardy for telling me the car was damaged? The dealer would fire him for telling the truth about a damaged car?

I don't get it.

I would think honesty would be rewarded and a loyal mopar customer being happy would be a priority.

Maybe I am too old school.

I would think lying and covering up the damage would be frowned on and maybe a fireable offense.

#11 ·
I would not have accepted the car without photo documentation at point of delivery. If a new car arrives damaged from a shipping company then it's up to you to act. Then the fight is between them and the dealer, not you. Either way you get the car fixed and they can fight about who pays for it. That said, if all you say is true, you need to find a new dealer.

#13 ·
That suck' s , I guess **** happens at every dealer , I bought my scat pack there last month and it was the best buying experience I ever had buying a new car or truck " and I have had a lot of new auto's " We agreed on a price , I drove 4 hours to get there and was out of there in a hour in a half including test drive ,

#16 · (Edited)
If by "splitter" you are talking about the lip spoiler, it may not be a matter of just the soft plastic part replacement. I've mentioned in another thread that there is a section of hard plastic that supports the spoiler in it's void area. In 08-14 models it is an integral part of the lower grille. I discovered this when I lightly tapped a parking bumper and it cracked very easily. I would expect similar reinforcement on this model also.

#22 · (Edited)
I'm not here to call the OP out let's get that straight.

But I am the most honest tech (or person for that matter) most will ever meet. I didn't get into the car business cause I need a job. It's cause I have a passion for cars. I under stand the OP spent a lot of money on this car and keeps using what I said against me and has me in a little trouble with my work.

I promise you the pic that I have seen there is no way I would of not replaced this splitter. Where the damage occurred idk. But it wasn't like that in my possession.

#23 ·
I'm agreeing with you as I have no reason not to believe you.

I think one of y'all needs to post the pics regardless of who posts up first. The OP is obviously seeing something different.

I also work for a dealership and know how PDI works and how tedious the inspections are on this end. If the car had OP's said damage then it wouldn't have left and the new owner would have been made aware of the issue. Afterall, the dealership is risking it's reputation over the ordeal. It wouldn't be worth it for them to do this.

You know how forums are. You'll each post pics and show different levels of said damage. Honestly, IMHO, the fact that you found a (in your words) such a slight blemish tells me you were thorough with the inspection.

Unless we know the chain and all the hands that touched the car we aren't going to know what might have happened. One thing is for sure though. Forums have a way of siding with one person or the other and this will likely become a witch-hunt.

Unfortunately, most times the OP will be the victor. Unless we see each of your guy's pics we won't be able to make a determination. You both need to post the pics.

#32 ·
Unless we see each of your guy's pics we won't be able to make a determination. You both need to post the pics.
Not to be a smart ass, but why do you think YOU have any right or reason to "make a determination" in this situation?

This should be between the customer and the Dealership ONLY. And I suppose now that the OP has publicly brought into question the technicians' honesty and morals, HE has a right to comment.
Sounds like there needs to be a sit down between the customer, the OWNER of the Dealership, the GM, the Service Manager and the Tech. Chrysler will not get involved in this situation. They have no dog in this fight. Nor should they.

Good luck to all parties involved, hope it get resolved amicably. And for the Tech that was just trying to be honest, and found himself between a rock and a hard place...GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup:

#24 ·
My '15 SRT 392 had a small scuff on the under side of the front splitter as well. It had to have happened on one of the loads/unloads from train/truck. It was maybe a 6 inch scuff front and center, but it could not be seen unless you stuck your head under the splitter.

I did not see it until after delivery. However, there was no way I was going to have that replaced. Slight scuff on plastic piece that can only be seen underneath the car? Not something I'm going to sweat over. My bet is that 80% of the SRTs have this type of scuff from delivery.

#25 ·
I'm sorry gentlemen , but what are you referring to as the splitter ? ...

#28 ·
Oh I see .. Thank you .. I take it the chin spoiler sits to low and hit the ramps of the delivery trunk ..
Something I need to look for when mine shows up

#31 ·
+1

I think OP is likely going after the wrong guy in this case. The dealership in general should be held accountable. The car is on their property which puts the responsibility of the caretaking of the car on their shoulders.
The GM needs to suck it up and accept responsibility in this case.

OP, you need to do this and not let up. It's a cheap part. It makes no sense to me why a dealership would fight such a minor occurrence.

#48 ·
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems that the OP had the car picked up at the dealer and delivered to him. He didn't inspect the car at the dealer, but the tech who did the PDI has stated repeatedly that there was only a scuff on the splitter. It seems pretty apparent that it was damaged during the subsequent transport and delivery. It doesn't sound like the dealership had anything to do with this.

#51 · (Edited)
I am thinking the same thing , otherwise the guy that picked up the car would have said something about it before leaving the dealer, every transporter inspect's before taking car , boat or anything else , so he or she doesn't get blamed for something they didn't do , and apparently the transporter didn't say anything after he inspected the car and loaded it on his truck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.