Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hellcat Insurance Fact(s)

8K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  brandy16 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit- amount on hellcat went down by about $80 p6 months compared to 2012 srt8

It changed my total cause my son is now driving the civic to school and back. Raised it by $70 per month.

#3 · (Edited)
Tammie at the other forum for her car and confirmed it went down for her, coming from a charger, are you sure they aren't just adding it rather than replacing what you have?

edit* I see you are coming from the SRT8 Challenger, do you happen to know what the weight is on your old car? I'm guessing it is lighter than the hellcat....weight plays a huge role in insurance as the heavier you are, the more damage you can do to others.

I used an actual VIN on my inquiry with my insurance and going from a Charger (5000lb car) to the Hellcat (4500lb car) made my insurance drop (via the quote on the phone with an actual VIN...I still want to see it to believe it)

#5 ·
I know someone else asked about this but now that my car is here I thought I would post the fact of the matter.

When I first had them quote the Hellcat I didn't have an actual VIN handy. She ran it with what they offered and my insurance was going to go down $87 per half.

This is with switching out between my 2012 SRT8 and the Hellcat. I told her that doesnt seem right and she said new cars can make it go down because of new safety factors.

I will be picking up my Hellcat in about an hour and a half. I called Geico back with the actual VIN.

Verdict: Increase of $650 per year.

They knew it was a Hellcat once he VIN was in cause she read to me what it came up as.

Now I normally don't share by business but I'll make an exception to put things in perspective:

My wife and I are both mid 40's with clean license.

I have a 16 year old son (KAPOW!) with a clean license.

I have a 2013 Dodge Ram BigHorn for my daily driver
Wife drives 2013 Dodge Avenger
Son drives 2012 Honda Civic
Last is the Hellcat

All full coverage, $0 Comprehensive and $500 collision.

Total annual premium: $5300 per year.

And I shopped them too! No one could beat Geico.

This must be love.....

To those who's insurance went down...just wait. It's coming....they just havent figured out what your car is yet!

And those are some facts my friends!
i dont know if any of you have any tickets/accidents but i do know that having a 16 year old in your policy will hurt you...also u can try bigger $750/$1,00 deductibles ...
is the house/life insurance included in the $5,300 premium...because it seems too high for a merry couple in their mid 40s....

i will defenatly do more insurance quotes...

back to the hellcat- to pay $55 more a month for a $60+ car its not bad...

good luck tho

#6 ·
$5300 per year.....Ouch. When I lived in NY insurance was high. My insurance went up $4 per month when I went from VW GTI to RT. It stayed the same when I switched to SRT. Lots of variables.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
Called Nationwide with my VIN. 3 cars + homeowners insurance at full coverage came to 300/year more or 25/month, however you wanna look at it. Not bad since I have a recent speeding ticket that I'm sure is in the system by now.

25/month is nothing, not sweating it. :)

#11 ·
I'm just glad I went back and checked the details. Otherwise I would have never known just how bad they were sticking it to me on my son driving a civic with a clean license. That's $3220 for 12 months of insurance just fir him!! Absolute legal robbery!! And its nit just Geico.. I shopped!!

#12 ·
First, I probably shouldn't be posting here because I just bought a 2010 SRT8 stick, (no Hellcat :(..) but when I contacted my insurance company, the price difference from my 2010 300 was precisely zero, although the SRT8 is worth much more.....UNTIL I told them my 19 year old son was living with me, after that, I could hear them drooling over the phone :)

So they doubled my rate..(from 125 to 250 a month).

I let them go on for a few minutes and then told them he had his own car, under his own insurance (different company) and I did NOT want him on my insurance.

They backed off and left things as they were.

Just for perspective, I have 3M liability and a grand deductible.

#15 ·
No, he has some kind of sport Sunfire and pays about 350 a month. The 16 to 25 age bracket (male) is the worst place to be.

Statistically that group has the highest risk and all insurance is based on risk.

The only 3 ways to have your premiums reduced (significantly) are:

1) 5 Years of driving experience
2) Get Married
3) Turn 25yrs old.

Ontario Canada also has a tiered licensing system where you start out with a restricted license that starts with you only being allowed to drive with a licensed driver in the car, in daylight, and no freeways, then gradually eases the restrictions as time goes on and you get a different tier license.

GOD help you if you get a speeding ticket in this time like my older son did. He's been "paying" for that ticket for 3 years now via horrendous insurance rates.

I was following him at the time and almost got shot. When the cop pulled him over I made a U turn and pulled up beside him, got out of the car and started walking (hands in plain sight) towards him...cop pulled his glock and told me to get on the ground....young cop, certainly a rookie.

Long story short I pleaded with that cop to give me a thousand bucks in tickets instead of nailing my son, but no way. It was a speed trap area and it went from 80kph to 60kph....my son was doing 74kph. Was a 30 dollar ticket :(

Yes, he was speeding and in the wrong, but that cop knew it would screw him for the next 3 years.

As well, during these beginning years you are not allowed to have ANY alcohol in your bloodstream...none. Not even a half a beers worth. They will yank your beginners license immediately and you may as well be prepared to pay 800 bucks a month after that, IF you can get insured.

#17 ·
My insurance company couldn't give me a Hellcat qute, so I got one for a Viper instead...just to compare. It was less than $200/year more than my 2013 Charger SRT.

#19 ·
I have State Farm insurance and live in northern DE. In 2012 I traded-in a 2008 Charger R/T (with about 40,000 miles on it) for a new 2012 Challenger SRT. My insurance stayed the same. I am trading the 2012 Challenger for a Hellcat. My insurance is going up $140.00/year, to a total of $1090/year (and yes, I have a VIN).

#21 ·
I am with State Farm and the Hellcat is listed in their system. She said, oh I see the Hellcat and then applied the same coverage I have to it. Up $65 every six months for a 3 year newer car is fine, especially considering it is a Hellcat.

#30 ·
US is different then Canada, and really it's going to vary from state to state. Weights a factor but not major nor miles driven. I'd say number one factor is age/experience and number of tickets/accidents. For my business with 2 trucks gross weight of 10,000 lbs each I pay about 85 a month, we each drive over 35k miles a year I'm pushing 50k this year. My personal 02 explorer is about 70 a month and I drive maybe 800 miles a month. In WA state miles driven means hardly anything, and really where you live in our state doesn't mean that much either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.