Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hellcat purchased 5/22 - Total Surprise!

8K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  fmjj03 
#1 ·
We pulled the trigger on it.

My wife and I both work for an automotive group that has a CDJR franchise. She works in Internet Sales there. Everyone wants to bash dealers and go on and on and on about price.. No one knows or talks about the price that dealers are paying when potential customers order one from dealers in 4 states then back out on all of them except one. This has happened to us twice already. Lock outs and penalties from Chrysler are typically the result. AKA grounded for lack of a better word.

A gentleman ordered this beautiful Hellcat and it was delivered today. Low and behold he had orders in at several dealerships and his order from Idaho came in last week so he bought it.

My found all of this out this morning when she called to tell him his Hellcat was here so we decided the Scat Pack can go to a new home

Our dealership has gotten 3 Hellcats now and only one has sold for over MSRP and that's only due to an offer over MSRP so please don't include us in the shady dealer conversations.

Anyhow I will refrain from ranting about it because I know I am the minority. I just wanted to get that out because a lot of folks here are literally suffering over bad customer service, price and allocation. Believe it or not there are many many more bad customers out there than there are dealers so there are people paying for that on the other side of the fence too and unfortunately the good, honest customers are paying for the bad ones too.

As soon as we get some sun I'll get some better pictures put up.

Ivory Pearl, M6, Sepia Laguna, Brass Monkey.. Purchased 5/22.

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
Exactly what I was thinking.

#4 ·
My wife and I both work for an automotive group that has a CDJR franchise. She works in Internet Sales there. Everyone wants to bash dealers and go on and on and on about price.. No one knows or talks about the price that dealers are paying when potential customers order one from dealers in 4 states then back out on all of them except one. This has happened to us twice already. Lock outs and penalties from Chrysler are typically the result. AKA grounded for lack of a better word.
A gentleman ordered this beautiful Hellcat and it was delivered today. Low and behold he had orders in at several dealerships and his order from Idaho came in last week so he bought it.
My found all of this out this morning when she called to tell him his Hellcat was here so we decided the Scat Pack can go to a new home
Our dealership has gotten 3 Hellcats now and only one has sold for over MSRP and that's only due to an offer over MSRP so please don't include us in the shady dealer conversations.
Anyhow I will refrain from ranting about it because I know I am the minority. I just wanted to get that out because a lot of folks here are literally suffering over bad customer service, price and allocation. Believe it or not there are many many more bad customers out there than there are dealers so there are people paying for that on the other side of the fence too and unfortunately the good, honest customers are paying for the bad ones too.
So, what you are saying is that there are people that have ordered cars from different dealerships and "clogging" up the system for other buyers? So it is true then?

#6 ·
Yes it is absolutely true that people are ordering multiple vehicles from different sources then jumping into the first one delivered. It seems that as long as they are ordered in different regions that it slips through. I'm not even mad about it anymore. My garage has never been happier.

#5 ·
A big thank you to the guy that ordered 10 from dealers in 4 states......that means that the dealers will have inventory that will have to be sold.....if enough cars are on dealer lots, prices will become competitive and dealers will stop the 10 to 50k markup bullshit. Laws of supply and demand. Poor dealers with piss poor service.....

#15 · (Edited)
.....if enough cars are on dealer lots, prices will become competitive and dealers will stop the 10 to 50k markup bullshit. Laws of supply and demand. Poor dealers with piss poor service.....
And if there are not enough cars on dealers lots the price goes up. Or didn't you realize that "laws of supply and demand " work both ways?

Why is it acceptable for a customer to beat up a dealer and get their car for a steal, but if a dealer is able to make more on a sale he's a thief?

#13 ·
I think you're missing the point bro.
He didn't order the car. Someone had multiple orders and this car came in from "one of their multiple orders". Him and his wife are just the lucky ones that knew the car was coming in, unsold and jumped on it. Any of us would do the same thing.
Your beef should be with the ones with multiple orders. They're the ones helping in to delay your order as well as the low number of parts available to Dodge.

#10 · (Edited)

...everyone wants to bash dealers and go on and on and on about price.. No one knows or talks about the price that dealers are paying when potential customers order one from dealers in 4 states then back out on all of them except one. This has happened to us twice already. Lock outs and penalties from Chrysler are typically the result. AKA grounded for lack of a better word.

A gentleman ordered this beautiful Hellcat and it was delivered today. Low and behold he had orders in at several dealerships and his order from Idaho came in last week so he bought it...our dealership has gotten 3 Hellcats now and only one has sold for over MSRP and that's only due to an offer over MSRP so please don't include us in the shady dealer conversations...
First, congrats on your new Hellcat and looking forward to more pix when you get them.

While I'm not defending the customer ordering cars from multiple dealers, I'm curious how old their order with you was? The underlying problem is Dodge doesn't communicate to the purchaser on a sold order where they are in the queue or even if they will ever get a car. If they ordered from you back in September 2014 and had no guarantee of their order with you being filled, that encourages customers to look around for inventory cars and placing orders with other dealers in a hope one of the orders will fill.

As for being "stuck" with an extra Hellcat, I would've thought that is the type of problem any dealership would love to have right now, as it should be easy to sell the car at MSRP. I realize it might take a few days, but that should still be a quick, easy sell at sticker.

#12 ·

...everyone wants to bash dealers and go on and on and on about price.. No one knows or talks about the price that dealers are paying when potential customers order one from dealers in 4 states then back out on all of them except one. This has happened to us twice already. Lock outs and penalties from Chrysler are typically the result. AKA grounded for lack of a better word.

A gentleman ordered this beautiful Hellcat and it was delivered today. Low and behold he had orders in at several dealerships and his order from Idaho came in last week so he bought it...our dealership has gotten 3 Hellcats now and only one has sold for over MSRP and that's only due to an offer over MSRP so please don't include us in the shady dealer conversations...
First, congrats on your new Hellcat and looking forward to more pix when you get them.

While I'm not defending the customer ordering cars from multiple dealers, I'm curious how old their order with you was? The underlying problem is Dodge doesn't communicate to the purchaser on a sold order where they are in the queue or even if they will ever get a car. If they ordered from you back in September 2014 and had no guarantee of their order with you being filled, that encourages customers to look around for inventory cars and placing orders with other dealers in a hope one of the orders will fill.

As for being "stuck" with an extra Hellcat, I would've thought that is the type of problem any dealership would love to have right now, as it should be easy to sell the car at MSRP. I realize it might take a few days, but that should still be a quick, easy sell at sticker.
I understand completely about the order status and queue position being an issue with these vehicles. We have to deal with the same run around.

You're also right about selling it quickly. There will be a visit from Chrysler though regarding the vehicle being sold to someone other than the name on the order. We will likely have to serve a short suspension on orders because of it no matter the excuse.

This Hellcat was ordered on 12/11/14 and delivered today 5/22/15.

#22 ·
This wouldn't work because it would waterfall, IF the customers decided to abandon their orders and move up in line then none of the Hellcats would make it to the appropriate home they were ordered for. Huge no no with the manufacturer and probably wouldn't go past one or two cars before it would be stopped.

#21 ·
Even though his deposits are refunded, dude's got to be plenty liquid to keep throwing them at dealers & waiting for who's ever car comes in first.....

#24 ·
i thought the deposit meant if you backed out for whatever reason they kept the money (they dealer)if dealers are gonna let someone order a car that cost in the 60 k range and not get a substantial deposit shame on them..i know i had to give a deposit on my car to hold it till all the paperwork was done and it was on the lot.where i purchased my car they have a black hellcat selling at sticker ..62 k.and they wont let you sit in it without a deposit

#36 ·
Apologies. My camera is only loading one picture at a time. We have an appointment with an actual hellcat next month so that photo shoot will be the official inaugural on this car. If anyone needs to see something specific let me know and I'll get it for you.

#43 · (Edited)
total surprise

this is in agreement with front runners post.WHICH WAS MY POINT! SHOULDNT PEOPLE WITH ORDERS IN GET FIRST CRACK AT THAT CAR?????????????????????????????.not someone that didn't even order one from the start?????????.this is why I ask brag or pester.if my dealer got one in and didn't ask me if I wanted it I would be pissssssssssssssssssssssssssed since I have been waiting 10 months for mine and still no vin#.i even told my dealer to contact me if this happens with them.so ya I agree with front runner.enjoy your ride but it should of been offered to ones that had a old order in before they offered to you.im sure that dealer has orders that arnt filled yet.so just because you work for a dealer you get in front of your customers??????????????.that is just wrong unless im missing something here in your original post.i understood you didn't have an order in.did the old orders get asked if they wanted it? and to reply to supercharged funs post.i didn't miss the point.the point is he didn't have an order in and customers that did have orders didn't get the car.so this would pester me if I ordered one from that dealer and didn't get ask if I wanted the car.so why go into a chat room an state total surprise LOOK WHAT I GOT AND DIDNT EVEN ORDER ONE.to brag or to pester those that don't have their cars after almost a year of waiting.now if he had order in and was in line like everyone else I would say congrats,but he didn't and that rubs me the wrong way.thats me but im sure there is more than I see this as wrong just like dealers selling for $100.000 that wernt suppose to even have lot cars for sale.so anyone else see this TOTAL SURPRISE as wrong? again enjoy the car but im still waiting in line.

#44 ·
this is in agreement with front runners post.WHICH WAS MY POINT! SHOULDNT PEOPLE WITH ORDERS IN GET FIRST CRACK AT THAT CAR?????????????????????????????.not someone that didn't even order one from the start?????????.this is why I ask brag or pester.if my dealer got one in and didn't ask me if I wanted it I would be pissssssssssssssssssssssssssed since I have been waiting 10 months ......

I explained in a later post why we can't move people up in line.. These cars HAVE to go to their intended home or there is punishment from the manufacturer. Yes this one went to a person that it was not ordered for and there will be a price to pay for that from Chrysler. But if we, as a dealership, start moving people up in line then none of the cars will go to the person they were ordered for which means Chrysler will cut our allocation all together after a few incidents like that. Its not our rule it is the manufacturer.

If we don't play by the rules they set forth then we won't be selling them at all. I understand your beef with it but we have to play by the rules.. If we could move folks up in line and get them in their Hellcats faster then trust me we absolutely would.

I'm here for the sole reason of sharing my experience and my car with the community and for no other reason. I'm not here to ruffle your feathers or anyone elses. I'm just trying to document and share the Hellcat with the CT community man. You have my apologies if it rubs you wrong, I truly understand why if it does but I am a humble person that had an incredible opportunity to own one of these so I went for it. No harm intended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.