Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Here are the facts on that 10.48 run...

66K views 365 replies 72 participants last post by  cortc 
#1 · (Edited)
I talked to the sources.

Burns Motors is the dealer that provided the cars. They were both sold cars that the owners graciously allowed them to use to put this all together.

Runs were done at Edinburg Raceway in TX.

The driver is actually normally runs a blown 67 Camaro with solid experience. Supposedly is at the track every weekend running his car in the 8's.

RGV Lighting in McAllen TX does lighting and street car mods. They worked with the car and the driver.

The only modifications to the car were in fact drag radials and race fuel. In fact, BOTH cars had race fuel. So the 11.05 run was done with race fuel too.

The tires were the Nitto 555r's, here's the kicker: they were the factory size!! 275/40/20

Several tire pressures were tried. The optimal pressure was 17 lbs.

Third pass on the black car resulted in the attached pic.

Track was heavily prepped and a bit warmer temps on day two resulted in super track conditions. The guy said the track wanted to pull his shoes off.

For the fuel the car had below 1/4 tank of normal pump fuel and they added 8-10 gallons of the VT109 racing fuel.

It was originally reported that you had to roll it out some before you mash it but after talking to the driver he said the best runs came when you were in fact able to mash the gas right at the green light. Period!.

An important thing to note also is that he said they did not start getting good times / hookups until they turned the stability control completely off. He said once they got that off (which required them to hold the button for 8 seconds), then they started getting good runs. So the car was in track mode and stability control was turned completely off and this was a requirement to get the car to start hooking up properly.

Driver confirmed that he put the car in track mode and turned stability control off. No other changes to suspension.

Launched as close as possible stalling it to 2000 rpm. Launch control NOT used.

Lastly, the driver used the paddles to get the best times out of it!! His shift rpm was 6200 RPM when he hit the paddle.

That's it!!

Tires and race fuel!!

Vids coming. They have to wait for a few things to happen before they can release them but they are coming.

Attachments

See less See more
#304 ·
Lots of folks are failing to realize VP MS109 is an oxygenated fuel, just pouring it in the tank will increase HP. Tuning for it will increase HP even more. The 109 does not mean 109 octane. Its rated at 100 octane and designed for modern unleaded fuel injected motorsports.

Reactions: randycat99
#306 ·
where you guys get that fuel?

#312 ·
Just making sure I am not missing anything.

So a Viper runs with drag radials and no questions about it.

A Hellcat on a better prepped track with drag radials runs a faster 1/4 ET and a slower 1/4 trap mph and everyone cries foul.

The HC CRUSHED the Viper's 60ft time.

Compare 60ft, 330ft, 1/8 and 1/4 times and mph.

#315 · (Edited)
So this is official, now?...the 2015 automatics have wheel hop?

Also, seems like wheel hop in of itself shouldn't be busting driveshafts, imo. I can see how it would be hard on the diff and rear suspension, though.

#316 ·
#317 ·
Yes, I've seen that. I was just curious if there is more corroboration on this.

#318 · (Edited)
looks like every car with IRS have the same problem,03-04 cobras late model GTOs, when i took my chrysler 300 at the track i was terrified to press the go pedal to the floor.
edit: i am sure that what broke the hellcats shaft.the bloody wheel hop.

#319 ·
It was my impression that the auto Challengers had no issues with wheel hop, until MY 2015 (it seems). If there was, maybe I just never heard anybody speak of it. I know my 2009 auto has never exhibited wheelhop.

#325 ·
Good grief, a car twists a shaft and you guys have down that wheel hop was the cause, you might as well blame the pixy dust that was on the track...........car had no wheel hop ....

#332 ·
Actually one of the insiders on Allpar mentioned today that he watched a Hellcat mule break a driveshaft with street tires in testing. He said the issue WAS wheel hop, and SRT was supposed to make upgrades to the suspension so this would not be a problem by the time the car went on sale. But they did warranty the 2 drive shafts that were broke on the Black car. So, maybe a fix is in the works now, and a possible recall.
That poster wasn't an Allpar insider as far as I know....He also said "Hellcats were designed to hold up to drag strip abuse with Drag radials" ...

I see see no evidence of this car being anything other than a street car....Imo

#341 ·
That poster wasn't an Allpar insider as far as I know....He also said "Hellcats were designed to hold up to drag strip abuse with Drag radials" ...

I see see no evidence of this car being anything other than a street car....Imo
Well I don't know what you would call a guy that gets to sit in on SRT's dragstrip testing of a mule hellcat maybe hes not an "insider", maybe hes just a favorite son, lol, but whatever he is I would've loved to of been that guy at that time!

#358 ·
That's a great point. I have been around muscle cars and sport cars for 30+ years. It has always been common for people who are going to be a bit harder on the cars or trucks to "upgrade" the known weak points. Its not that the design is flawed. It may work fine for a typical owner, but not for those who push the limits.

#359 ·
Hey guys I just heard the most interesting update about the record setting Hellcat that ran 10.48. Mind you I heard this from a friend, supposedly the Black Hellcat that set the record also damaged the A8 transmission. Here is where is what I found interesting, apparently Dodge caught wind about alleged use of nitrous and had the car shipped somewhere to be inspected. Supposedly it was sent back to the dealer and the owners warranty was allegedly voided for negligence or abuse. So according to my friend, Dodge refused to cover any more damage after their inspection/investigation into the drive shaft failures and now the broke A8 transmission. If this is true then it sucks for the owner, I guess that's what happens when your car becomes infamous over the internet.

#361 · (Edited)
Just what I heard word of mouth, I am not sure where my friend heard it from. Either way as you just verified, there was some truth to the rumor about warranty coverage denial from Dodge, at least in reference to the driveshaft. To be honest I am not sure if my friend meant that the warranty on the A8 was allegedly voided or anything else, just reporting on what the latest rumor is about our famous hellcat; which is that the A8 was also messed up.

#365 ·
That a what I am afraid of. My car at 1500 miles and is already getting a new clutch and flywheel. I do not have much faith in this next one..... I hope it was a defect in material.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.