Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Need help and input for 0-60 time

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Redboots 
#1 ·
I've got the manual and the best I've been able to get for my 0-60 time is 5.1 seconds. What's the best way to let out the clutch and give it gas to achieve a good time? Also when is the best time to shift? I've driven stick for a while, but never in a performance car. Also, should I have it in track, sport or street mode?

#2 ·
I don't have my car yet, but it will have quite the learning curve for anyone to adjust to the car's characteristics, whether A8 or M6. You'll have to find the sweet spot for launching (throttle amount and clutch slippage). Also, I'd probably go into your Custom mode and set the Traction Control to Track and the Suspension to Street. The suspension being softer on Street should hopefully allow more weight transfer to the rear.

Good luck. :D

#3 ·
You have some work to do. I've logged a 4.3 in my 6spd scat pack !!

Like your hellcat I can't drop the clutch or mash it off the line. I imagine it's a lot worse in your car though. For me I rev to maybe 1600 rpm and slip the clutch to roll out of the hole and then give it as much gas as I can without spinning the tires until I'm at full throttle.

For my shift into 2nd i stay in the gas and shift as fast as I can. Shifting with that method knocked .3 seconds off my 0-60 alone. Not losing the momentum during a traditional shift and then mashing back on the gAs and braking traction bad after getting into 2nd helped a lot with my times.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
Its always a huge learning curve. When I had my cts-v (685ish hp) I had my best times with my rev around 2500 rpm. The hard part is letting the clutch out and modulating the throttle. I always kind of eased my clutch out to find that grab point and really try to launch it from there. You really have to practice and find that spot where too much gas and your tires slip and not too little gas. It takes a lot of time, specially on stock tires. I spoke to the guy that had the fastest time in a cts-v and he said on the strip he found his best success was rev up to around 5000 rpm and practically clutch dump! If your on DRs you can try that otherwise I wouldn't recommend that.

#9 ·
I always kind of eased my clutch out to find that grab point

Great advice. Let the clutch up until the point of engagement.
If you're using street tires, don't dump the clutch.
I get the best times by launching around 1200 1300 rpm on my 392. I also baby/slip the clutch when shifting into 2nd and 3rd.
You have to find the sweet spot as mentioned above. Requires lots of practice. Try with/without TC, different modes, rpms, and etc.
Practice right foot brake throttle (that's a tough one) if you'll be going to the drag strip. Wish we had line locks on ours cars though.
Bottom line, practice practice practice.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
That's a start !

What speed are you shifting out of 1st at in the Hellcat anyway ? It has a longer 1st gear than the other challengers if I remember correctly.

#14 ·
Oh come on now ! I bet they don't share it because there is so much variation in stick shift drivers, and people would try and crucify them if they can't repeat those numbers that a high skilled stick shift driver achieved.

Hell first time at the track in my 6spd Scat pack I ran a 13.02, two months later after more seat time in the car and learning the drivetrain I ran 12.60

I imagine the learning curve on the Hellcat is even steeper.

#15 ·
Not sure if this will help but, driving my parents' '89 Mustang when I was a young man, I found that I could make the 1-2 shift a bit faster if I applied pressure on the shifter while accelerating in 1st. When it came time to press the clutch, the shifter would release as soon as the clutch was disengaged enough. Then I could immediately complete the shift and pop the clutch back out.

I'm sure there's a name for that, and it may or may not be common or a good thing.

#17 ·
Called preloading the shifter. Its common practice in the sportbike track/racing community.

Reactions: Denzien
#18 · (Edited)
I'll add that to get the best launch out of the M6, you will have to slip the clutch for an extra second or two to ensure a smooth and linear power transfer. The suspension should be set at its softest setting. Also, with the M6 in the Hellcat, 60 MPH should be achieved in 1st, so I would say get your launch technique down and you should see improved times. Max power is at 6k RPMs and redline is at ~6200 RPMs. The trick is to start your shift around ~6000 - 6100 RPMs so it can drop you back in the meat of the torque range for the next gear and avoid bouncing off the redline. If you wait till the needle hits redline its to late. (kind of like staging at the drag strip, if you leave on the third light you're to late). Apply that to all gears when getting the best time out off her.

P.S. The timer was moved to the front wheels on the '15s, so all recoded times in the EVIC should be more accurate than the previous years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.