Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Reviewer vs Little Old lady

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  mikeychallenger 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I need to drive approximately 1/2 a mile into our subdivision to reach my driveway. My typical speed through the neighborhood is about 15 mph (almost feels like I'm parked, but I digress...).

Keep in mind, I do not have a Hellcat.... in fact, I'm at the complete opposite end of the Challenger spectrum. Despite that, maybe because of the stripe on the sides, there is (at least) one old lady like that in our neighborhood who has gone so far as to venture out in her soccer mom vehicle and wait at the side of the road until she sees me enter the subdivision, then she goes r e a l l y s l o w -- as in, so slow that my speedometer needle is barely hovering above the pin -- as in, so slow that, even if I shift into 1st and don't touch the gas pedal I still have to brake to keep from running up on her. One time, a couple weeks ago, it actually took me about 15 minutes to travel that 1/2 mile to my driveway. (quick math: that's an average of TWO MILES PER HOUR)

I sometimes wish I still had that 15-year-old pickup truck, because then I could just push her stupid minivan out of the way and continue on with my trip. ...but then, she never had a problem with the pickup, just with my "fancy sports car, tearing up and down the road" (yes, she's complained to the HOA) at some outrageous speed. Yesterday, she was videotaping instead of actively preventing me from driving down the road. (I checked my speedo when I passed her - I was doing a steady 10 mph)

#14 ·
For this I would get her behavior on film, make sure you get your speedo on there showing like 2 mph also. Then send that to the HOA and the local police. She is not only harassing you but also breaking the law as it is usually illegal to go so slow that it could cause an accident. See how she likes that one. >:)

#15 · (Edited)
I'm already on top of that. :)

Meanwhile, I've heard that she's talked to the HOA... I haven't heard anything official from the HOA. I suspect that's probably why she was videotaping my 10 MPH trip the other day; they probably asked her for some sort of 'proof' of my exorbitant speed.

All of the streets (that is to say, all one of them; it's a big loop with one entrance/exit) are owned/maintained by the HOA. As it is not a city street, the police cannot enforce any posted speed limits (or, for that matter, any moving traffic violation) -- it's private property. So, I cannot complain about her obstructing traffic (me) to the police; they're powerless to do anything about it. I could complain to the HOA, as you suggest, about her shenanigans -- if she starts becoming annoying enough for me to be bothered.

#7 ·
Brian, I wish so bad we could all chip in and get you some cut outs, so you could rev that sixer up when your going 2mph behind the physco old bat!:notallthere:

Reactions: briand
#8 ·
There is absolutely nothing preventing you from putting money in my PayPal account, or buying a set of Low Profile QTP cutouts and shipping them to me.
:grin2:

They're on the short list of mods here, actually. One of the first things I put on the list, just not one of the first things actually implemented. I'm thinking perhaps part of my tax refund might be diverted towards this specific mod... so, I'll have them soon enough.

Reactions: 797Power
#10 ·
"... if you're driving on the highway and see one of these coming up behind you, it must be pretty intimidating."

Yeah... I've been there already (last week). Fortunately the Hellcat driver just wanted to exchange 'thumbs ups' and not humiliate my "poor old" 392. :)

#11 ·
Being UK based I have no idea what a subdivision is or what that means. What is the speed limit and why can't you just overtake her. Then cruise at 1 mph in front of her. Give her some of her own medicine. Fit a go pro camera or something similar so you can video her antics and show she's just completely nuts.
Some elderly old girls can be a real pain. Twice I have had issues in my Lightning with our elderly generation. The funniest was an old lady that actually drove at me down a side road. I just stopped. She pulls up along side window down berating me for speeding, what at 15mph in a 30mph zone. Bear in mind she is on my right as I am UK based. I roll the passenger side window down and she's screaming at me. So I said really I do apologise. Locked it up on the brakes. Lit the rears up and gave her a face full of exhaust fumes as the pipes exit on the offside of the truck and hopefully filled her car with tyre smoke. Might as well give her something to really complain about.
Then you take someone like my mother. 86 but now sadly with dementia. At aged 80 she was absolutely furious with me because I refused to take her on the back of my Suzuki Hayabusa and I mean livid. But she never learnt to drive and had no fear but just loved going real fast.

#19 ·
Being UK based I have no idea what a subdivision is or what that means. What is the speed limit and why can't you just overtake her. Then cruise at 1 mph in front of her. Give her some of her own medicine. Fit a go pro camera or something similar so you can video her antics and show she's just completely nuts.
A "subdivision" is another word for "neighborhood." Except a subdivision is a neighborhood that is pretty much planned and built all at once- usually in the suburbs. Taking a piece of open land and "sub-dividing" it into small lots with houses. Hence the topic of the old 80's Rush song, Subdivisions.

Problem is the streets are narrow, there are people walking, kids playing, etc. Someone being a nutsack and driving super-slow is just as much of a hazard as someone actually speeding and being reckless, but you can't safely overtake them either (in most cases). About all you can do is fall back so you can actually SEE around them and wait for their nut-sackery to end.

Then you take someone like my mother. 86 but now sadly with dementia. At aged 80 she was absolutely furious with me because I refused to take her on the back of my Suzuki Hayabusa and I mean livid. But she never learnt to drive and had no fear but just loved going real fast.
My wife's grandmother DID go for a ride on her nephew's Harley for her 90th birthday. And they even got stopped by a police officer and she talked him out of a ticket- said she nagged her nephew into riding fast because it was her 90th birthday. Cop thought it was a riot.

Reactions: graemel
#13 ·
ROTFLMAO!!!!

"Well you certainly disturbed my peace." HaHaHaHaHaHa

I just loved his level voiced come back and even giving her his business card. Bet she "dines out" on this story and complaint for quite a while.

My parents have a neighbor at the corner of their cul-de-sac that actually complained right to me that I drove too fast into the neighborhood because there were kids. I told her she could have what ever opinion she wanted and that if there were kids around I always slowed right down, as I always do the speed limit in school zones and play grounds. Plus I am doing way less than the speed limit in that area as they are three houses in with a gate that has to be opened. My mother even laughed afterwards as she thought it was funny as heck since she knows how I drive around their place. Can't please everyone and especially the grumpy. HaHaHaHaHa

#18 ·
I live in Florida too, tampa area, I've been down here 12 years now, and wow, everything I've ever heard or read about HOA's, (Home Owner Associations) is just a nightmare. It's like retired people with nothing to do but become HOA gestapo. Every time I hear anything about an HOA, I thank God I don't live anywhere near one!!!

Good luck with that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.