Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Satin Black Aluminum Hood

13K views 52 replies 28 participants last post by  Supercharged_Fun 
#1 ·
So i read on here somewhere that this was causing delays but then contacted my dealer to see if it was true and he mentioned that the only holdup was the sun roof. Can somebody on here actually confirm that they heard from a reliable source that the hood was causing delays or does anybody have a list of all options that are delaying production and when they say they will be available?

#2 ·
I heard it directly from a reliable source at SRT. He also said a number of hoods had been delivered and those cars were moving to D1. The problem, according to the source, is that SRT under estimated the number of Satin Black Hoods that would be ordered for the first allocation.

#7 ·
I went to D1 about a week ago and I have a satin black hood. From what I can tell it did delay my order a bit, but it is scheduled for delivery next month and should be being built soon.

#8 ·
Yes black hoods were delaying order builds. I ordered mine without in order to custom wrap it myself...the stock ones will be painted satin black...I like the option to peel mine up and be red again...or wrap it again with a different design later on.

#10 ·
Some people will say it's fine to wax as normal. I say it's not, and I currently have a hood painted flat/satin/matte black (however you want to call it). I do not use ANY of my normal car care products on it and have Dr. Beasley products just for the hood's finish. If you thought 'normal' black was a maintenance nightmare, it's a walk in the park compared to the satin black. At least with a normal paint job you can attempt to hide or fix imperfections -- with the satin, once you have a problem (scratch, etching from acid rain or bird poop, etc) you're stuck with it as it CANNOT be fixed, only re-sprayed.

See the attached PDF, straight from FCA. They even recommend the same Dr. Beasley (or equivalent) products.

Attachments

#11 ·
Is this a special hood or just painted differently?

#14 ·
Might be fun to wrap it to change the look...or change it back later

#15 ·
Yep, not only less maintenance but you get the flexibility to go back to stock by just peeling or going with different lines with a re-wrap.

#19 ·
What a Bummer

I ordered my Hellcat on 9-9 at 9 AM it went to "D" on 9-15 with a VIN. In October I got a call that the Black Satin Hoods were on hold and my order was changer to "BX" and it has been in "BX" ever since. I checked with my dealer Yesterday and was told that the Black Satin Hoods are on hold for 30 to 60 days. So a February build time sounds just like what I was told. The only good thing for me is seeing that I live in Wisconsin the Car would sit in the garage till spring, but I sure would love to have it just to sit in and admire it

#23 ·
so are u still waiting to get your car on a railcar? Did the hood actually make it in black or not sure? I heard that the hold up was that the outside paint shop went bankrupt which is causing the delay...but we all know about speculation...

We are still waiting for our car to hop a railcar to phoenix...not sure when that is happening tho...it is projected to be here by 12/20...but we all know that there really is a Santa Claus...well at least thats what the SRT people are telling us!

#26 ·
"At least with a normal paint job you can attempt to hide or fix imperfections -- with the satin, once you have a problem (scratch, etching from acid rain or bird poop, etc) you're stuck with it as it CANNOT be fixed, only re-sprayed."

=====================
Believe it or not it can be worked with. There are creative ways to dull down touch up work. It's not hard, just different and the only way to get good at is through trial and error.

#35 ·
A question regarding these various paintless methods mentioned to make a hood black and/or wraps. It is very intriguing as I still can't decide if I want the satin black hood option or not. Maybe I am just used to cars with older type paints but I've found if you leave something touching paint long enough it will one way or another cause issues to the finish once removed (subtle but there nonetheless). So no one has to worry about things like that anymore?

#36 · (Edited)
Just called SRT hotline. I questioned why I am still in D1...

Response was: "black satin hood Hellcats will be built starting in March... If you want your car built ahead of that, call the dealer to remove the satin hood option and we will built it at once."

(Same story others have posted.)

I'll be waiting - with a frown on my face from this experience. I just hope they get their act together and don't pull the option all together after having us wait...

#37 ·
I got a call from my dealer today stating that the satin hood was an issue, and they wanted me to remove it because if they don't get a sold car, it messes with their future allocation. Based on the vinyl wraps that are shown, I thought I'd drop the option and go with the gloss vs. satin.

So yeah, the satin hood option is a complete farce. How f'n hard can it be to paint some hoods inhouse and bolt them on down the line, seriously.

#38 ·

So yeah, the satin hood option is a complete farce. How f'n hard can it be to paint some hoods inhouse and bolt them on down the line, seriously.

Plant is set up to paint complete car bodies , we don't have a facility to paint just batches of hoods. So it's very hard. Probably that's why they won't be done here but at another facility.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#39 ·
It's also pretty obvious Dodge underestimated the logistics involved in the current satin hood process and basically made the satin hood a vaporware option. Congrats to the few that actually ended up with a car factory built with the satin hood.

I was basically told that my order was being changed regardless and I didn't have a say. My option was to accept it, or get back in line.

#40 ·
I was told today my car would be shipped 12/12/14 if i changed my hood. If not i would be waiting till spring.

#47 ·
:grin2: Very Cool Chris.

Since seeing this thread, I was afraid mine would be on hold. Contacted my dealer 3 times. He assured me that my car was built, inspected and ready for shipment, with the black hood. Claims it will be here end of Dec or very early Jan.... Can't wait to see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.