Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Used Hellcat for Sale!

13K views 61 replies 28 participants last post by  MizzouRT 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Only makes you wonder what the poor fool that bought it new paid for it!!!!

#13 ·
I don't understand why so many people get upset about dealers selling these cars for over MSRP lol. It's a business for making profit. Cars have been sold for over sticker for decades and it's just how things go. Do you complain about how much you over pay for clothes, food and jewelry as well? Majority of the people that own Hellcats paid atleast $5k over sticker. Idc who you are, trying to say you can get these things for under MSRP is just BS. So stop lying to yourself and understand these cars are collectibles :)

I gladly made my nice $4k to $6k dollars selling these cars for $10k to $15k over sticker :)

Love my Job bahaha

#15 ·
Saw two in the Philly area listed on CL in the $80k range ! It's retarded to pay that much coin for a used car !

One was on a Dodge dealer lot , a week ago it was $84k this week down to $77k what a bargin ??

#30 ·
Dealers don't lose money on cars period. Like stated it's a business not a charity. If anyone thinks it cost dodge invoice to build these cars your wrong. All dealers up charge every car. As consumers we choose to pay those prices. Supply and demand. I don't blame the salesman in this thread for selling over invoice, its the consumer who allows it by paying the price.

#31 ·
I have no problems with selling above invoice at MSRP. I have a problem tacking on the "fair market value" BS. And using unknowns such as possible "future collect-ability" to justify the outrageous price. If is walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's probably a duck. A bad deal is usually perceived as such from the get go. But, you are right, there is either a greedy customer who sees dollars at owning a "future collectable" or a rich guy, with no sense, who just has to have the first one on the block that causes this situation in the first place. Crooked, greedy salesmen only exasperate the problem. That doesn't mean the rest of us w/ sense have to take it.

#42 ·
Well think of it this way, it's more of the consumers who drive the market up on things like this. We had one guy come in and buy a Hellcat Challenger for $75k and then took it to Barrett Jackson and sold it for $100k+. So I'd really say the auctions and consumers willing to go on bidding wars for a car for their ego is the main reason why these cars sell for so much.

You can't call a salesman crooked and greedy because he is trying to make a bigger profit on something to make a bigger paycheck. Especially when he's selling a new car lol. You can however call that car salesman crooked or greedy when he sells a used car with problems and not disclosing it to the customer. That's crooked!! Not making solid profit because the consumer is willing to pay it. I have never forced anyone to sign the dotted line. They decided it for them.

Here's a little secret too. I have sold alot of cars losing a ton of money because of the internet, which doesn't bother me at all because I'm still making good money. For the dealer, he will sell alot of cars losing money and sell a few cars making quite a bit to make up the difference.

#44 ·
I understand the dichotomy of selling vs buying. I understand, you, as a seller, want the most money you can get. The buyer want to spend the least. I get it. There is a difference between that relationship and trying to gouge people for a product, because it is popular. If the head of Dodge sees that problem, why can't you? There is making a reasonable profit and then there is overcharging. Most dealers are overcharging on Hellcats, the same as they did in 1978 with the 25th Anniversary Corvette. Same scheme, different generation. No, no dealer ever forces anyone to do anything. They just influence their decision to profit off their wants.
There used to be a time, when a business was satisfied to sell an item at a reasonable profit and valued their customers as without those customers, they don't make money. It seems to me, today; it's too often the norm that customer service is not there. It's either: "Buy from me, or go someplace else!" There no longer is that feeling that businesses value their customer base. They are only a means to an end, and nothing more. They could care less if you are a return customer or not. Sad, but, it's the way of the 21st century. Cold and heartless.

#45 ·
I understand the dichotomy of selling vs buying. I understand, you, as a seller, want the most money you can get. The buyer want to spend the least. I get it. There is a difference between that relationship and trying to gouge people for a product, because it is popular. If the head of Dodge sees that problem, why can't you? There is making a reasonable profit and then there is overcharging. Most dealers are overcharging on Hellcats, the same as they did in 1978 with the 25th Anniversary Corvette. Same scheme, different generation. No, no dealer ever forces anyone to do anything. They just influence their decision to profit off their wants.
There used to be a time, when a business was satisfied to sell an item at a reasonable profit and valued their customers as without those customers, they don't make money. It seems to me, today; it's too often the norm that customer service is not there. It's either: "Buy from me, or go someplace else!" There no longer is that feeling that businesses value their customer base. They are only a means to an end, and nothing more. They could care less if you are a return customer or not. Sad, but, it's the way of the 21st century. Cold and heartless.
I understand exactly what you're saying, but understand that you're classifying all salesmen in that category. Which is not fair because while there are still salesmen out there with that same philosophy, it's not entirely true. I have a great CSI score and my referral and repeat business is off the charts. Why? Well because how I handle customer service.

Truecar.com is the most frustrating thing in the 21st century lol

#32 ·
Its called free markets, maybe some would rather see the government step in and mandate car dealers MUST sell at msrp, I'm sure that will help. Car dealerships cost a lot of money to keep the doors open, if they have an opportunity to make 15 grand selling ONE car as opposed to selling 5 Darts - more power to them.

No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to buy a Hellcat. Owning a Hellcat (or ay other 600+hp car) is not a need or a right. I would buy one at msrp, maybe even a couple grand over msrp new if its the right car, but I will not pay 10K over and thats why I dont have one :) To some people that 10K extra is not as important as owning one right now.

#33 ·
Free market is all well and good, but there is also something to be said for the hardware store marking up plywood 500% when a hurricane is coming. Supply & demand right?

Dealerships love to tack on bs extended warranties marked up to ridiculous prices, paint sealant, interior protection and every other service they can think up to market with hyperbole to prey on the uninformed. Then you have condescending salespeople like the "bro" posting in here that just add to the animosity most of the general public feel for stealerships.

I hope the days of car dealerships are numbered, and people can buy factory direct rather than dealing with some "bro" in the middle that does nothing but attempt to swindle you out of your money for things you don't really want.

#34 ·
It is a free market. Those of us w common sense are free not to buy. Those w more money than brains cause the gouging.
Once the hoopla and hype dies down, there will still b dealers that want $80k when everyone else is selling at MSRP. That's also free market.

#35 ·
---Quote (Originally by onemurphy24)---
You do realize tho, when we sell cars like the Hellcat or SRTs at MSRP we hardly make a profit at all. They don't leave much room for profit based on the MSRP. Nobody is getting gouged lol It's business man, that's all it is. Tell me this if you have your house appraised for $150k, but you had someone offer you $160k, would you take it? If someone wants to pay $70k and up to $90k for a Hellcat, then I'm going to sell it to him. Why, because it's a business to make a PROFIT!! If you don't want to pay that, then enjoy not having the car you want because that's just how it is bro!
Yes I would agree that if someone came in and offered me 10000.00 over asking for my home I would sell it. It is one thing to accept a higher offer from someone than to overprice it from the start. That is the only issue I have. I know people want to make money and the customer wants to save some. Hell a dealer in Birmingham Al just sold my buddy yesterday a 3/4 ton Cummins Diesel that Stickered for $65.000 for $54,000 and I know he still made a good bit of money on that deal. We all know that the dealer never loses. It is our responcibility to weed out the ones who want to make a deal and those who just wants a profit. I have bought over 40 vehicles in the last 10 years for work and for myself.. I know the dealer made money but with them willing to work with me on a price I kept coming back.. So make 15k + on one car or sell me 40 cars and make even more..

#38 ·
Just saw a Hellcat sell at a Mecum Auction for 82500....there were several bidders. I don't blame the dealers it's the people who pay that
price. I don't view it any differently than people who pay hundreds of thousands for some rare numbers matching muscle car. I would never do it. I would rather build a clone with superior parts for a lot less money and actually drive it. The Hellcat hype will eventually die down when the next big thing comes out and you will be able to find them for decent prices.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#41 ·
I'm 57 and the car dealership business model has been putrid since I bought my first car.
All the upselling scams, the "closer" scams, the "finance guy" scams, the paint scams, the scotchguard scams, the rust proofing scams.

Taking advantage of young people, or people who dont know any better..its all been said before.

In my lifetime we will see the demise of the current distribution model....eventually all the lobby groups and kick backs to corrupt politicians will peter out.

Each generation gets a little smarter and the next crop of young folks reaching car buying age are VERY savvy compared to 20 years ago. They wont put up with it.

The fact that you CAN look at yourself in the mirror tells me all I need to know about your character.
I would need a long shower to wash off the stink after dealing with you.

#51 ·
I detest car dealerships, but don't understand the reasonable profit comments? Buying a car is a give and take. If people are willing to overpay of course they are going to sell it at the highest price possible. Everyone who thinks they "deserve" the chance to buy a Hellcat at MSRP or below is in fantasy land. Those deals are out there but if you can't be patient you'll have to pay the price the market demands. The value of my house has gone up about 50k since I bought it two years ago due to supply issues. I wouldn't take less than the market price just because someone thinks they know what it's worth.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.