Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Decent 1/8 mile time?

33K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Larryd 
#1 ·
Getting ready to make my first ever trip to a drag strip with any car. I have a bone stock '15 Scat Pack M6. Will be using launch control just to get feel of it all. So, what is a good time to expect for 1/8 mile track? Still need to figure out all my shift points and best RPM to launch at so just seeing what time I can expect for an not so experience driver at a track?

#7 ·
so today just out playing with stock air pressure and using the in-car timer, i launched at 3750 rpms and some-what short shifted and ran a 8.7 (note, this was with the in car timer so not sure how accurate it is). i would think if i dropped air pressure to 20-25 psi (today they were at 36psi) and run it closer to red line i would see a good improvement. what do you guys launch your m6 at? i have been told to not really launch but take off just like i would from a red light and the wot, and i have been told to drop clutch around 3500-4000 rpms. what method works best for you guys with a m6 car?

#9 ·
Well I was able to run a 8.1 with my 8 speed Scat Pack, and it was stock with almost bald factory 245's.
I did not air down, or use the launch control. I wanted see what it would do as if I was on the street.
This time(8.1) was on an1/8 mile ran on old air strip(Check out Eagle field drags)

Have a blast running your Scat!

#11 ·
Almost bald? So, you were basically running slicks. LOL and you are an auto or manual?

To the OP, do not get discouraged. It is really hard to get a decent 1/8th mile ET with a manual. As far as dumping the clutch or rolling it out more like a normal start you will have to try it both ways. But I bet if you cause it to spin it will wheelhop. I think if you do an 8.75 that should be good.
If it was me I would try a somewhat aggressive launch with some clutch slip at low RPM and try to get the clutch out fairly fast and then stand on it and power shift. Definitely lower your back tires to 20 PSI. That will help on the power shifts as well as the launch. I would say a really really good run would net an 8.20 to 8.40ish.

Maybe WOZ will see this and chime in. Not sure what his 1/8th time was but he has run 12.6 in the quarter.

#10 ·
Any thing is possible depending on the cars race wt and DA....Agreed anything is possible
Sure. Take out the rear seats, remove the engine cover and tire inflator and on a cold day he'll be in the 6s.

#13 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.