Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Engine Bay paint...

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  WIDE392 
#1 ·
Hey, have you guys noticed that our painted engine bays are not clear coated? A friend of mine who is a diehard Mopar man told me that Chrysler use to clear coat them back in the day. It sure would make the bay pop when you opened the hood, but I guess we are lucky to even still get them painted. Also, the Hemi orange block paint is dull also. Lol looks like they just wipe some on and keep moving.

#6 ·
So am I the only one that noticed multiple spots under the hood and under the trunk where the paint didn't cover and it looks like someone simply took silicone and filled in a spot and then promptly took their finder and wiped paint over it? I couldn't believe it when I saw it yet my brother said, "well how does that compare to other new cars, you're just nit picking". You noticing the same thing?

#8 ·
I can tell ya one thing,,,. All of these posts regarding paint defects, alignment issues and mechanical oversights like loose intake manifold bolts have given me a pretty long list of things to check when my SRT arrives!:icon_bs::ugh2::confused::scratchhead::disgust:

#12 ·
Will check this afternoon and get back to you. Funny thing is, 30-40 years from now if these cars are ever worth anything, this could put yours over the top. I've seen on Graveyard Carz how Mark Worman talks about how in the 70's they would paint the blocks and the paint would be uneven and ect, ect. He said they had humans doing the work and everything wasn't perfect.

#13 ·
I thought that I was the only one that just "HATED" the fact that it makes my engine bay look really cheapo as hell, I've been wanting to just clear it myself the masking is what will be a bear.............but I will get this done someday before I keep adding more powdercoated items that will make it difficult to say the least...........it does not look good at all.................

David

#15 ·
It is a cost cutting thing I am sure. I would imagine no one clear coats under the hood for an under 100k vehicle. 95% of cars are not show cars, simply daily drivers to get from point A to point B.

#19 ·
Someone at Dodge made the decision to clear coat certain ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.