Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Fake engine sounds

22K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  Guv 
#1 ·
So a buddy of mine has a 4cyl mustang with the ecoboost and I remember hearing something like they pump fake engine sounds into the cab to make it sound better.

Got me thinking... Do they do that with these 392 scat cars? It sounds so much louder in the car than it does being on the outside of the car, even just pulling away at a normal pace. Let my bro drive it and as he pulled away about the same as I do when I leave a stoplight or something and it sounded pretty quiet honestly. But inside the car, it's pure bliss... Got me wondering

#2 ·
No.

#3 ·
Maybe has something to do with the thin firewall and sitting directly on top of the mufflers.

Did my first full throttle blast with the windows down the other day, holy sh*t this stock system with the valves opened is pretty darn loud

#4 ·
The mustangs do have a "sound tube" that channels engine noise into the cabin. Challengers do not have anything like that.

#7 ·
It's a Mustang thing. We don't need that in our cars. Our cars sound muscular from the factory! Ford did this purely for the test drive to get people excited but when they get home and do some research it's owners will be dejected knowing they have some fake sounds fed into the speakers. To me it's false advertising.

#10 · (Edited)
I know they pump v8 noise thru speakers in the 2015 trucks with EB.

#12 ·
I hope the SS Camaro is not getting that. Some imports have the engine sound piped thru the stereo system.My first test drive in a Scat Pack sold me just for the Exhaust sound.I thought for sure government would step in and outlaw that active exhaust.

#13 ·
I thought the opposite. Inside the car it's dead silent but when I let my girlfriend rip it down the street it sounded retarded loud. Mine also has a muffler delete, but still you can't hear much inside the car.

#15 ·
Salesman was no dummy he took me down a street that had a brick wall around a neighborhood. Said get into it here the exhaust bouncing off that wall sold me.Traded my truck in rite then 1400 miles Ram on that car.Wondered why it did not seem that loud till i went down that street.Makes me laugh every time i go down that there . Doing the muffler delete soon.

#23 ·
The idea of pumping V8 sounds into the cabin to make you feel more of a BA even though the car is slow for lack of better words is probably the lamest thing I've ever heard in terms of a car's "feature".

The sound in our 5.7s and 6.4s are all engine and all exhaust sounds. No fake sounds there. Can't believe manufacturers are actually doing this though. So stupid IMO.

#26 ·
Ford does the fake sounds thing on its eco boost trucks too. Open the door and it sounds like a sewing machine.

#28 ·
The new BMW M3, M4, M5 and M6 all have artificial sound piped into the cabin via the stereo. Quite a bit of griping amongst the bimmers on that, but that's the draw back of turbos.

I had a Coyote 5.0 a couple of years ago. It sounded decent but this 392 with active exhaust is much better. I still can't believe how badass this car sounds from the factory.

#29 ·
I had a 2011 and a 2014 GT Mustangs. Never knew about the sound tube until a read the book. I added headers,off road 3" X-pipes and Magnaflow off road cat backs. Way too loud around town but awesome on strip. The sound tubes have foam inserts you can remove to up the sound.

#30 ·
The new BMW M3, M4, M5 and M6 all have artificial sound piped into the cabin via the stereo. Quite a bit of griping amongst the bimmers on that, but that's the draw back of turbos...... I still can't believe how badass this car sounds from the factory.
My 2008 BMW 335i was a twin turbo and did not have fake sound. It had an awesome exhaust sound, not quite as loud as most want but a truly great note. Don't know why they use the stereo now.

I agree, can't believe the Scat Pack has such a wonderful authentic exhaust note from the factory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.